iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > General Audio > Portable Audio Gear

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2012, 14:24   #31
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

interference can be pretty much solved by adding ferrites to each end of the cable, they come in ring or snap on designs.
although not highly attractive they do add a certain techy look.
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2012, 15:07   #32
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

or simply by not going between a wireless laptop and a modem?...
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 15:54   #33
Enzyme

nah, they transmit across a broad area so if your picking it up it'll happen anywhere within range of the device.

the ferrites wont help if its the driver unit itself picking up the rfi, but im guessing it's just they didnt use shielded cable on the phones or didnt terminate the shielding properly.
that would need research.

still remember being highly puzzled at picking up the local radio station and the neighbours conversations on a telephone i'd sneakily wired into the main circuit when i was about 7...most annoying, but intriguing.
(had it hidden in my sock draw so i could make sneaky calls, because i didnt understand all the connections it kinda involved tapping two wires together in numeric code to dial but it worked :p) those were the days ><
Old 02-29-2012, 04:05   #34
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

the interfferes are happening only in wireless mode for that headphones. not for when you use them with cables.

probably this would be why i never recommend headphones that are wireless.
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 22:48   #35
x4gottenx

still sad i missed my chance at one of those rs 160,170,180 headphones for rly cheap price because i didnt look too much into them before noticing the deals, i hope to see if any used or refurbished ones pops up anywhere soon (for some reason cant find any anywhere) but i'm sure that the people already finished selling their old phones for rly cheap to get those new rs 220's (similar to that one time where i was able to buy a almost completely new psp 3000 for $70 on amazon when that one pop out psp was released) but if i dont see any for a long while, i think ill jus buy the rs 160 at retail, sicne for the 160, the transmitter is rly small and portable, so that mainly eliminates the bluetooth want for portability

Last edited by x4gottenx; 03-04-2012 at 11:06..
x4gottenx is offline View x4gottenx's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:58   #36
x4gottenx

wells time for me to focus onto soundcards or w/e
enzyme, you say that all onboard soundcards arnt good but the creative go u mentioned, i looked on the amazon page, and found alot of people saying that the sound card isnt better than the onboard ones they already had or something like that o:
i'm sure this might be a waste of itme, but any idea how to check how good my onboard sound card actually is before buying a sound card that might be potentially worse than it
on the device manager, it says realtek hd audio, but i've been seeing that on nearly all laptops i come across, and i doubt all of them have the same quality, esp seeing how mine has a s/p dif out and can product 5.1 surround from it, or actually could somehow link up the 3 jacks with it so the main headphone jack would be front speaker out, mid jack (s/p dif) to be center/subwoofer out, and mic to be rear speaker out
the dell site says sound options are JBL speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 and Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2
(would've been rly nice before if i looked a lil harder at my x-fi software to notice that it's already got virtual surround sound on it -.- .....then again, they jus gave me this thing with the laptop, no manual, no help pages, not even lil help bubbles, hard to figure out what does what on the program)

Last edited by x4gottenx; 03-04-2012 at 14:18..
Old 03-04-2012, 13:41   #37
JSWolf

The Creative Labs Audigy ZS I have is definitely better then the onboard sound on my laptop and my desktop. My desktop is some Realtek cheap onboard sound.

That said, if I was ever going to get a better sound card, I'd go with an M-Audio sound card.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phile2496.html
JSWolf is offline View JSWolf's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 13:50   #38
x4gottenx

wells i did mention that i think (not sure) that my sound card maybe a creative labs card, the stuff u mentioned probally dont help much since it's a laptop....as for the notebook version of the audigy...for some reason this $2500 worthed laptop doesnt have a PCMCIA slot (annoyed face)

Last edited by x4gottenx; 03-04-2012 at 14:11..
Old 03-04-2012, 19:09   #39
Enzyme

i have a spare m.board with creative x-fi onboard, doesnt compare to the card or the zen player (both x-fi).

also owned a great deal of motherboards over the years, non of which had what i would call good or useful sound.
even the cheaper 20 dollar audigy's are a step up.
Old 03-04-2012, 19:31   #40
x4gottenx

hmm, so which external sound cards would u recommend again?
ill keep that in check while trying to look around some more to figure out jus at what level is my card is at...idk maybe it's me being in denial about the quality since i paid so much for this laptop XD and it has so much features for audio too (as mentioned of the separate jacked surround sound, the jbl speakers and built in subwoofer, s/p dif, the digital surround sound conversion that i "jus" found out about and might not be able to use it if i want better quality)

wells some searching on my own has lead me to soundblaster x-fi 5.1, asus xonar u3, also hearing that instead of just a soundcard, but an amp with dac wich would be sorta killing 2 birds with one stone, which usually just points to the fiio E10 or E7 with the e7 having a line in also so it be killing....even more birds with that stone since it would be able to amp anything else rather than jus my computer, but after already deciding on $200 headphones (and already bought some new eneloop rechargable battries to prepare, and use for other stuff $30) not sure about how much i want to spend on the usb soundcards or amp/dac, but i hear that the new fiio e17 is comming out this month, which is better than both e7 and e10, not gonna spend $150 for it, but it probably will provide some used e7's, e10's to start falling form the sky

Last edited by x4gottenx; 03-05-2012 at 03:08..
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12   #41
Enzyme

see now i didnt have the seperate ports for the onboard x-fi, the outputs were just via the single port, although the software was the same, it just sounded really cheap and nasty.
perhaps get the phones first and test some cards in the shop, see if you notice any diffrence just to make sure, wouldnt hurt.

ive seen some of those amp dac combo's are reasonably priced, i was looking at the ibasso site not long ago and they had some stuff around the 100-150usd mark, no doubt there are cheaper alternatives out there.

but with the soundblaster x-fi 5.1 you get all the gaming surround stuff and effects stuff thrown in and you will have some inputs on there for plugging in your other gear.

never tested that x-fi 5.1 device myself but i do trust the guy who told me it (or something very close to it) was a good buy, he's a very good (international even :p) electrical engineer, and his father (the buyer) has been in the same game for many years, even if they arent total music heads\gamers they wouldnt buy crap.

the xonar's apparently have very good clarity and surround and are strongly recommended (by others) for gaming, although im unsure which models are good.

the creative titanium has the movie\audio mode\audio creation mode\gaming mode selection, mixed with 24bit 192000hz :s crazy sample levels, and other effects and stuff for audio playback, dont know if xonar or the 5.1 offer similar.

i use my j3 as a music device while gaming (plugged into the line in\mic socket), always have a 3.5 to 3.5mm cable plugged in there for whatever audio device, not sure if thats suitable for amping your other stuff, or if you wanted portability for some reason.

'thedarkside' seemed to like the Digizoid ZO portable amp\audio processor
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40482

thats the other good thing about buying the best you can afford, afterwards you can just sit back and let all this headache inducing data just slip away cos you know you've made the right purchase ><
nothing worse than having it all running through your head along with the maybe's

Last edited by Enzyme; 03-05-2012 at 07:16..
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07   #42
x4gottenx

it seems that the creative x-fi mb on my computer might only be a program
i looked around a little and found this rly cheap usb soundcard somewhere in my room, i got it long ago for use with the ps3, i plugged it into my computer, and found that the x-fi program would work with it, so i guess there's a possibility that i can use the program on any new soundcards or dac's to bring in the (for me) newly discovered digital surround sound of the program into the stuff

wells, now i'm thinking in terms of convenience vs quality XD

it seems the the x-fi 5.1 has alot in terms of quality (24bits, 96khz) and have some convience on the ports it has to be used with some other equipment with it, but then again it is a bit bulky (9" x 6") and with a size like that, alot of portability gets taken away, and portability for me sorta goes into it's use a bit too (since i like to move my laptop all over the room and out) if i get that, i'd never rly take it around with me anywhere (but most of my time is at home anyways so that's doesnt go too far)

for xonar, the only one i could find for my use is the u3, the u3 quality seems good but lower bit rate (48, 16bit), seems to still be able to output in surround sound to the audio systems (but with one port, cant multi-task on it like teh x-fi), the u3 does seem much more portable in that it looks like and is stuck in jus as a usb flash drive

titanium doesnt seem like an option for me

the amp/dac of the fiio e7 did catch my attention though, i was wondering if u hav any exp or knowledge about how good is it
it's also somewat portable like the u3, hav the same bit rate, and the main convenience i see for this is that it is able to easily be used for other devices on the go with an 80hr battery life, i remember reading somewhere it uses 2 diffrent hq chips, a wolfsten dac and a texas instrument chip
but the e7 isnt able to send out direct surround sound like the other 2 though, and it does cost literally double of the other two ($30 & $40, vs $75, price of used on amazon) (though hoping with the release of the e17, some random people who would easily toss aside their old e7 or e10 for it)

the zo seems ok for an amp, but doesnt rly go to do what im looking for currently

just noticed that it says that the headphones i'm getting reads in 44khz, 16bit, so i guess the quality of the x-fi isnt needed too much unless i decide to upgrade my headphones (probally wont be doing so for a long time), or upgrade out of these surround sound speakers i hav in my room, only thing we have that could probally match the quality output would be the expensive polkaudio surround sound set-up in the living room ,but seeing how bulky the x-fi is, probally wont be bringing it out there jus to plug my laptop into it too to jus play content there, though maybe wont bad to get something which can help in upgrades for the future.....far future

Last edited by x4gottenx; 03-05-2012 at 22:42..