iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > General Audio > Portable Audio Gear

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05   #16
x4gottenx

thx for more advice, i think the turtle beach ones have like 18 different presets for the headphones

sorta debating about whether oriented to audio or gaming though now, since i'm not as huge of a gamer as i was in the past, but doesnt mean i cant easily go bac to being one (lots of interesting games that came out and coming out recently)

and i already do hav a box of unwanted older options XD
i guess my main reason of want for wireless is because...
i've owned many headphones/earphones across the yrs, most about like $40 when i bought them, but in the end, they never really last long, and all of them died the very same way of the wire mainly, even those supposedly rly strong jab earphones that's supposed to last a life-time (dont ask me how i killed it physically, i dont even know)
at this point, i concluded that no matter what i do, i'm jus someone who puts the wire in strenuous activity, so i figure headphones with a detachable cord or wireless will solve that main problem of mine, both i'd consider, but the convenience of wireless is pretty big and something i want to try out, i already own this one old sharper image bluetooth dongle or w/e so even if the quality isnt good through them and they only last 4hrs at a time, i already know how very useful and convenient being wireless is

ohs, also, i think being able to consider yourself an audiophile is a good thing, but they way lupu used it in the first post here wasnt in that good of a way, since it was like lupu coming into here, using audiophile as a title to basically say that he's way above me in this subject, abandon my hopes, and obey him, wells im somewat exaggerating but it's the basic feel of it in that first post, if ure trying to convince someone of something, it turns into an argument, and coming into an argument like that doesnt rly work out

Last edited by x4gottenx; 02-24-2012 at 08:09..
x4gottenx is offline View x4gottenx's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2012, 10:47   #17
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

yes, maybe it was some of my fault. but this is my way of giving advice. hm... maybe i was too used to being in a place where people use only high tech headphones, and i see a low fidelity headphone as being wrong for any type of human. in fact, my way of thinking was around like, "if you have a budget, get the best you can of it"... also, for gaming, i can say 100% that audiophile grade headphones are helping you out to win, especially in shooters.
like i played modern warfare, and i would not have won without my sennheisers.

i am pretty much like this always, when it comes to headphones, and that is because, from the point i got into the high fidelity world, i was unable to use normal or cheap or other types of headphones.

i would like to not consider a headphone something you should spend at least, 500$ on, but this is the way i think.

especially, from the time when i always started to get money only for headphones/iems.

sorry to bother, with my thoughts, but as a persons asks for directions, another person should give the directions as he/she see fit. if i am right. but anyway, we are all humans, and from all humans i may be the one that wrongs the much. but this shouldn't mean that i shouldn't try to help to make this world a better place to live.
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 16:47   #18
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

Quote:
I think it sounds arrogant, I have read it 4 times in a row after all (see post above). Maybe "annoying" is more appropriate to describe that term, but the point is: It's unnecessary to say it all the time.
ahh c'mon, i think the following sounds a whole lot worse ><

Quote:
Well... a few days ago I posted my ideas about improvements on the other thread. Do you still remember them? No?
That doesn't matter, I'll just repeat them quickly:
kind of arrogant and patronising at the same time

upgrading is a horrible one way streak, especially because you become very aware of the bad things and it's a bitch if you budget is limited.

i think lupu's advice was obviously meant with a good heart, and is actually sound advice (no pun intended) if you want real arrogance just check the abi forums, its overflowing with it.

totally with you on the wire issue, i have a habit of rolling over them with my chair n destroying them often (my j3 cable being the latest to die (well half dead zombie, its missing it's rubber from the jack and looking very ill :\)

although i still couldnt deal with the battery issue's and any annoyance caused from wireless quality issues.

i dont know what your standard system of cable abuse is but would it be worth considering a decent quality headphone extension cable or adding tug releasable plugs\sockets to the headphones?

besides if you get good quality phones the wires become something else thats replaceable and not a major issue if you can solder as wire is dirt cheap.

and yeah good headphones will make a huge difference in gaming, what you will miss is accurate distance adjustment in the audio,some cross-feed stuff and the up\down thing.
but theres more and more games coming out with they're own software based 3d positioning (thanks to microsoft killing direct sound with win7).

its a tough choice :\

i just looked and there is this as an option

http://uk.store.creative.com/sound-b...o/1-20055.aspx

its an external usb and only 60usd rrp.

no doubt you'd pick one up for 40-50 elsewhere, but i'd check some reviews and see what folk are saying, it may really good or it may be utter crap and lack quality and all the major 3d stuff and features such as eax 5.

also beware the fanboys, gamers (in general) tend to say anything they own is the absolute best, so be sure to seperate audio enthusiasts :p from gamers reviews, use gamers for 3d info with a huge pinch of salt, and audiophiles for advice on pure audio quality (again with a lil pinch of salt).

im pretty sure that creative device is the same one my friend's father bought a while ago and he said it sounds great (he's a long time friend thats enjoyed many years of my hi-fi mods and audio tinkering + he's into his music and a top class electrical engineer as is his father so tech wise they know theyre sh*t (although he's not a gamer), i remember him telling me about the desktop volume knob device thingy with a big proud grin.

im not sure if turtle have non headphone included items that are similar, and im not sure of your headphone options in the 150dollar range, but im guessing theres some really good ones to choose from.

but still the wireless issue :\

Last edited by Enzyme; 02-24-2012 at 17:05..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 19:37   #19
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

So, the ABi forums are full of "arrogance"??? Say it isn't so, Batman!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 21:27   #20
Enzyme

based on my short experience with them hell yeah.

Scarecrow turns on the Joker and uses his fear gas to see what Joker is afraid of.
To Scarecrow's surprise, the gas has no effect on Joker, who in turn beats him with a chair.

(o..0) .V..
Old 02-24-2012, 21:50   #21
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

You are,...my,...#1!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHBUA!!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:30   #22
zen-kizu
Formerly "Kizune"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzyme View Post
kind of arrogant and patronising at the same time
Dammit... you are right...

Profiles: Google+ // deviantART // flickr
zen-kizu is offline View zen-kizu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27   #23
Enzyme

*giggles*
Old 02-25-2012, 13:54   #24
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Heh,...snobs!!! LOL!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 17:26   #25
Enzyme

had a lil look at that creative 'go' usb device in bestbuys and it does indeed support full 3d surround (via the usual alchemy software on vista\7, which isnt always required but does work when needed)
Old 02-27-2012, 21:30   #26
x4gottenx

i see a refurbised rs 170 senhhisers for 170 on amazon, it'll be throwing away bluetooth but should i jus give in and go for them? XD
also see a 180 for 190

Last edited by x4gottenx; 02-27-2012 at 21:42..
Old 02-27-2012, 21:56   #27
Enzyme

no idea about the phones, but im sure somebody here does.

just check they are from someplace with a near perfect and genuine history, preferably with a guarantee.

i got my refurbs from ebay seller : proaudiostar
somebody else here also mentioned they've used them with no problems.
they are very helpfull and they had a bunch of good deals on at the time.

have a think about it and be prepared for them not sounding so great until you get a nice audio card\usb\dap or whatever, but im pretty sure you'll get one of those for a reasonable price without a problem.

gamers upgrade lots and buy a lot of gear so you may even find some options for that second hand.
just check the tech specs, see what sampling rates it's capable of, things like that.
get a few options then check for complaints, expect a few (thats normal), expect some idiotic troll reviews, just look for any major and very popular issues.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59   #28
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

at first look, 170 looks good. i never bought from refurbished something. ok, i bought once a nintendo ds, and i was unable to use 2 or 3 buttons. but this happened with a low rated seller. go with a high rated seller. anyway, the head's you are looking into, are looking good!...
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:49   #29
Enzyme

yeah theres a huge difference between refurbished and tested by a genuine dealer or electronics expert + guarantee, and refurbished by putting a piece of tape over the hole in the driver where it was stabbed to death by a maniac.

even with proaudiostar i made a point of asking for exact details of why it was a refurb, and what they did to fix it, they were quick to supply the info, in my case that was pretty irrelevant as it was just opened box n sat on a shelf for demo purposes.
although im still glad i asked.
wording is vastly important on ebay, mainly because if they lie or decieve you can go to ebay and get a direct refund, ive had a couple of ebay shops shut down (for unknown amounts of time) for twisting the truth a lil too much and then getting insulting when approached with an issue.
but if your polite and accurate throughout you will have ebay management on your side who are always very helpful.

i guess it's like buying a used car, just have to ask all the right questions and trust the seller to some extent if you want peace of mind.

i used to buy a ton of refurb and b-grade electronics from a place called maplins in the uk (before they got stupid with pricing), i never had a problem with any of them, they used to do such good discounts, b-grade stuff at 80% below retail etc.
now its another vastly overpriced pc-world style shop, wouldnt touch em with a bargepole.

just leave no stone unturned, be picky but polite and i'm sure you'll get a bargain someplace.

Last edited by Enzyme; 02-28-2012 at 10:02..
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24   #30
x4gottenx

wells i took too long maybe to decide XD; 6hrs after last post, all the refurbs and used versions from the 160's, 170's, 180's all gone
i figure amazon as a place where u'll get ripped off alot less than ebay though, a bit better in overall peace of mind, but i guess with that, maybe not get the very best prices

main problem i read about for 170's so far is signal interference, mainly with wireless internet, but that shouldnt be a problem for me, since my wireless router has an alternative 5 ghz signal

Last edited by x4gottenx; 02-28-2012 at 12:29..