iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon Z2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2012, 12:11   #1
Gungr

Default [Tutorial] Root and Market Hack

Let me start by saying I am far from an expert in these matters. I got this to work through a good many hours of work and a ton of trial and error
I am running Vista64, as such, all the details will be using that frame, Win7 should be similar, no idea about XP.

The software I used:
SuperOneClick (Ver 2.2) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682
Titanium Backup
Root Check Pro
File Expert
SuperUser - http://androidsu.com/superuser/

First you need to install and setup the correct USB driver.

In the Z2 Settings, go to Applications > Developement and make sure USB Debugging is turned on.

Download and install Java Platform (JDK) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html
Download and install the Android SDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Follow this for the SDK setup - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/How...c_Instructions

When it comes to adding to the path variables the ";C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" part needs to be changed to point at the directory in which you installed the SDK.
You can get around this by shift-clicking an open spot in the \platform-tools\ folder and selecting "Open Command Window Here".

You will need to edit the android_winusb.inf file to add the Z2 to the list.
Under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTx64] add this entry to the top:
Code:
; Cowon Z2
%SingleAdbInterface%    = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E21&PID_1100
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E21&PID_1100&MI_01
;
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini
If there is no adb_usb.ini file present, create it yourself.

Open the ini file and edit it so it now looks like this:
Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO  NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER  LINE.
0x0e21
Save and close the file.

You may need to update the driver as the guide shows.

Make sure the Z2 is connected via usb cable and USB Storage is on.

When that is all done It is time to use SuperOneClick to first Root and then Shell Root.

After that download this - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63053887/market.zip
Extract that to C:\ So the folder looks like C:\market.

Open up the command window and type:
Code:
adb remount
adb push c:\market\GoogleFeedback.apk /system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk
adb push c:\market\GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
adb push c:\market\Vending.apk /system/app/Vending.apk
adb reboot
Finally Download the Market Opener.apk from here - http://munday.ws/kindlefire/MarketOpener.apk

Open your Z2 APK folder (for me it is G:\APK) copy and paste that into the folder.

Safely Remove the Z2, turn off USB Storage and install the Market Opener.apk (the installer should run automatically).

Disconnect the Z2 and reboot it.

You should have a working Android Market up and running. If you have any problems with this, let me know and I will try and help, but as I said, I am no expert so most of the help you will receive shall be via google. I claim none of this as original work, I have copied steps from many sources all found via google.

Last edited by zen-kizu; 04-19-2012 at 16:34..
Gungr is offline View Gungr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-19-2012, 15:09   #2
NonApplicable

After doing this hack, do you have new applications constantly running in the background?
NonApplicable is offline View NonApplicable's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 16:50   #3
Ghisy

Oh wow, nice! Root AND Market hack! That's a good find.

- Cowon S9 32 GB (Titanium Black) -
- Hippo VB -
- Cowon IAudio X5L 30 Gb + Remote -
Ghisy is offline View Ghisy's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 17:16   #4
Gungr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonApplicable View Post
After doing this hack, do you have new applications constantly running in the background?
In general or is there a specific app you are asking about?
Old 02-20-2012, 00:52   #5
NonApplicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungr View Post
In general or is there a specific app you are asking about?
I forgot to mention, Good work dude and thank you for your hard work. I'm grateful you got a root working so early in the Z2 life.I no doubt will be using this when I get my Z2.

I was referring to market/Google app background processes. I'm not sure if this is true for all android devices, but when the D3 got a market hack, there were 3-4 Google processes that were constantly running. Whether they were killing battery life is a different story, but they were annoying regardless. If I remember correctly, GoogleTalk was one of them.
NonApplicable is offline View NonApplicable's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06   #6
Sorensiim

YES! Awesome work, I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, I'm glad it was did so soon!
Sorensiim is offline View Sorensiim's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42   #7
Skylinr

Man! If you posted it earlier! I managed to get my rooted last night after spending loads of time on it! Your great guide sure helps save a lot of time!

The steps Gungr posted works for Win7 as well (I'm on Win7 32bit). The difference I took was I use SuperOneClick 2.3.3

One thing to note, the Cowon Z2 may not be recognized by ADB immediately after you edit the "android_winusb.inf" and "adb_usb.ini'. If so, you just need to kill the adb.exe process with task manager and restart it. It should recognize it then.

For Google Apps, I used a program called RootThat, where it can push the Google Apps to your Cowon Z2 with just a click of a couple buttons from your computer. It does install a few other Google Apps (Car Home, Google Search, News&Weather and Google Talk) apart from Market, but you can always remove them later with the help of Titanium Backup if you don't want them.

Using RootThat, the only Google Process I get running all the time(as shown by the default Cowon Task Manager) is the "Google Services Framework" process.
Skylinr is offline View Skylinr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47   #8
sanyasi420
sanyasi420

Wow thats kool. Thanks Gungr. Can any rooting software work? z4root for example? Also, is that enough to knock out korean apps?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50   #9
Sorensiim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyasi420 View Post
Wow thats kool. Thanks Gungr. Can any rooting software work? z4root for example? Also, is that enough to knock out korean apps?
Once you've rooted the Z2 you can install Titanium Backup which will let you uninstall or freeze any unwanted apps. I highly recommend going with the "freeze" option in case you accidently disable something you might need later or something that the music player or another app might depend on. Eg. disabling the aforementioned google service would kill the market...
Sorensiim is offline View Sorensiim's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:07   #10
Skylinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyasi420 View Post
SuperOneClick is also a rooting software, like z4root.

Unless you meant software that requires root(Root Explorer etc), they will work with the method Gungr posted as well

And yes, that is enough to knock out the Korean apps. You can uninstall them with the help of Titanium Backup as Sorensiim suggested.

Some of the apps do get updated by Market btw, such as KakaoTalk and some other Korean apps that came with the Z2.
Skylinr is offline View Skylinr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19   #11
Gungr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonApplicable View Post
I forgot to mention, Good work dude and thank you for your hard work. I'm grateful you got a root working so early in the Z2 life.I no doubt will be using this when I get my Z2.

I was referring to market/Google app background processes. I'm not sure if this is true for all android devices, but when the D3 got a market hack, there were 3-4 Google processes that were constantly running. Whether they were killing battery life is a different story, but they were annoying regardless. If I remember correctly, GoogleTalk was one of them.
There is one app - GoogleFramework, that runs in the background.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32   #12
Ghisy

It would be nice if the Z2 was picked up by XDA. So we could get custom kernels to undervolt the CPU and have a better battery life.

- Cowon S9 32 GB (Titanium Black) -
- Hippo VB -
- Cowon IAudio X5L 30 Gb + Remote -
Ghisy is offline View Ghisy's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18   #13
dumdum12

I agree with Ghisy that the best part of the hack is the ability to root the device and therefore the probability of some CPU undervolting ROMs or something similar (I'm far from being an expert...)

The Z2 is in my eyes still a music player with some nice additions and not a fully fledged media player and for that purpose the audio quality (given) and battery life (not long enough) are the most important aspects.
dumdum12 is offline View dumdum12's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40   #14
LordRaptor

Send a message via Skype™ to LordRaptor

Sounds really nice!
Can't wait until I get my Z2 in 2 months for my birthday (stupid birth date <.<).
I don't know much about Android (yet), but I hope that I can accomplish the "hack".
I've got some questions:

[May I make a list of all Links/Downloads you used in the post, so that you have an overview of what you have to download?] //sry, don't know how I got this (stupid) idea.

If there is not someone else who will do it: May I do matching screenshots for each step and link them on your guide? I know it should be possible to accomplish it without any images, but maybe it would help someone...

Last question: What could happen, if I do something wrong? Could it destroy the Z2?

kind regards,
LordRaptor

Last edited by LordRaptor; 02-21-2012 at 10:03..
LordRaptor is offline View LordRaptor's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03   #15
dfkt

Gungr, I frontpaged you. - http://anythingbutipod.com/2012/02/g...-already-does/
dfkt is offline View dfkt's Photo Album   Reply With Quote