iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon J3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2011, 20:25   #1
skypilotpete

Default How to remove embedded album art

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove embedded album art from music files? I like to use my own non-embedded images (Cover.jpg) but this is over-ridden by embedded images. I have tried using mp3tag, using the "remove cover" command, but that hasn't worked for me. I have selected "remove cover" for every individual file, but after going through that process, the embedded art is still there, and still displaying when playing the files on my computer and on my J3.

I have also gone to the folder containing the music files and deleted all the images that appeared in the folder when I first played them (this was one of the instructions I found via Google).

I have looked through all sorts of instructions on the net, but I haven't found anything that makes clear sense to me. Maybe I'm particularly stupid, but I hope that never-the-less, someone will help me.

I've seen lots of posts on this site recommending media monkey, but when I googled "Media Monkey" and "embedded album art" all I found was lots of posts complaining about MM putting the wrong album art in, so I thought I had better avoid that.
skypilotpete is offline View skypilotpete's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2011, 21:57   #2
fritanga

Hi,
In Media Monkey, just right click on te mp3 file (song) that you want to remove cover and select "Properties", then click on the "cover" tab. In here, you must view the cover or covers attached to the file. Just select the ones you want to delete and click on eliminate or delete, i dont remember clearly, and thats all. If the files (songs) share the same image you can do multiple selection.

That's all, sorry about my broken english.

Un Saludo---
fritanga is offline View fritanga's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 23:47   #3
skypilotpete

I've worked it out - maybe someone else might find the following helpful.

First Issue:
In Mp3Tag, it is not enough to select a track (or tracks), right click the Cover Image that appears on the bottom left of the main window, and select "Remove Cover". Doing this does not save the changes. You have to go: VIEW - EXTENDED TAGS - Right click the Cover Image - REMOVE COVER - OK. This then removes the album art tag and saves the new tag information.

Second issue:
If, like me, you use VLC to play your music on your computer, there are two further issues which were confusing me. By default, VLC automatically downloads album art. So, everytime I deleted the album art, VLC redownloaded it without me being aware of the fact, and so I thought that I had not successfully deleted it. To stop this happening you go TOOLS - PREFERENCES - PRIVACY/NETWORK - Album Art Download Policy - Manual download only.
Finally, VLC stores downloaded album art in its cache, so if you have previously downloaded album art, it will continue to show it until you clear the cache. On my computer (Windows 7) that is C:\Users\Skypilotpete\Appdata\Roaming\vlc\art and delete any files in that folder.

Now that I have done all the above, I'm no longer getting the album art I don't want.
skypilotpete is offline View skypilotpete's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 00:19   #4
nehrou
Gangsta 4 Life

TagScanner works quick and well

“Without music, life would be an error.”
PAST PLAYERS
Cowon X5L
iAudio 7
In-Ear: CX 200
Over-Ear: Audio-Technica ATH-M50
nehrou is offline View nehrou's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14   #5
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotpete View Post
Can anyone tell me the best way to remove embedded album art from music files? I like to use my own non-embedded images (Cover.jpg) but this is over-ridden by embedded images. I have tried using mp3tag, using the "remove cover" command, but that hasn't worked for me. I have selected "remove cover" for every individual file, but after going through that process, the embedded art is still there, and still displaying when playing the files on my computer and on my J3.
Don't know what you actually did using MP3Tag, but it works perfectly doing that particular task of removing imbedded album cover art from within one or more files (as well as many other functions).

As far as the album art "still displaying when playing the files on my computer", that could be tied to the "album art cache" when using Windows Media Player (if that's what you use), or something else entirely. Or, perhaps you didn't really remove the album art properly. But if it's gone from the tag field, then you've really done the correct thing as far as that goes. The rest is a secondary issue that needs to be addressed and resolved.

As far as the J3 still showing the album art, that would suggest it's not actually removed, if you haven't also stored a "cover.jpg" version in the containing album folder. Since the J3 supports both methods it's not clear which album art is being displayed. Only if you have neither present should you see no album art. Or, if you only have one present you should see album art. If you have both imbedded art and cover.jpg I believe the J3 will show you the imbedded art (but don't really know since I don't use imbedded art myself).

MP3Tag can work on the files of just one folder, or recurse down through all lower-level sub-folders as well. The music files from just the folder you've navigated to, or (if you've checked "subdirectories" option) will present all of the contained music files. You then select one or more of them, and also use the "<keep?" or "<blank>" or "specific value" items in the tag pane fields on the left to define what you want to do to the one or more selected files "in mass". You also can remove album art by selecting the "remove cover" item after right-clicking on the album art area in the lower-left of the tag pane.

When you are all set, and you click on the "save" button (leftmost icon on the button bar), your designated operation will be applied "in mass" to all selected files. You will have mass-stuffed a value (if any) wherever you said, into all selected files, while simultaneously keeping what tag fields you don't want to touch in any tag, while simultaneously blanking out (i.e. removing the value) in any tag field you want to mass-blank.

And, if you do it, you can also remove imbedded cover art in the tag of every selected file.

Check out this recommendation and discussion of album art, and doing exactly what you want to do (i.e. removing album art in all files so as to use the cover.jpg in album folders method instead) in this SevenForums thread. He took my advice, applied the "recipe" and in 10 minutes had utilized MP3Tag to automatically (a) remove album art from 21,000 music files in many folders of his PC music collection, at the same time as he (b) cleaned out unwanted miscellaneous tag fields while retaining others untouched.

Though many people use and love MediaMonkey, I myself do not. I find it to be too "intrusive".

I much prefer to maintain my J3 manually, using Beyond Compare to sync the folders/files themselves. I also use Free Commander as my generalized file manager (replacing Windows Explorer for my usual day-to-day file management needs, drag/drop copy,etc.).

I use Audiograbber and LAME to rip from my own CD collection to create MP3 and create tags, or Audiograbber and FLAC to rip from my own CD collection to create FLAC and create tags.

I use MP3Tag to edit or do fine-tuning maintenance on tags produced by Audiograbber (which are normally 100% perfect). I use MP3Tag regularly to do post-create editing on my newly created FLAC files because FLAC-Frontend leaves out two tag fields it doesn't or can't populate properly.

I use Jaangle as my PC music collection organizer and music player. I also use Winamp as my PC "external music player" launched from a double-click on a music file from within Windows Explorer, or launched from the "PLAY" button of other music-related PC media player or music file/tag organizer programs.

See that particular SevernForum thread for an EXTENSIVE discussion of all of this. I think it will be interesting and informative.

But as to your original objective of mass-removing album art, MP3Tag is your friend. And it does work perfectly for this function... for one or more files at a time.

Last edited by DSperber; 08-29-2011 at 03:18..
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16   #6
noregrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotpete View Post
Can anyone tell me the best way to remove embedded album art from music files? I like to use my own non-embedded images (Cover.jpg) but this is over-ridden by embedded images.
Taghycardia (freeware) has a mode of work in which it automatically removes covers from all mp3 files optionally saving the images under a user-specified name. Moreover, it's got an option to rename all locally found cover images to cover.jpg or whatever.
noregrets is offline View noregrets's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:56   #7
HOBBER

Default FOLLOW DSPERBER's Advice !!

HI,

MP3Tag works for me everytime !!

It takes some time to find out all the little helpful things it can do but persevere as it a very versitile and useful program.

I always take DSperbers advice, never let me down yet !!!!

Bst Rgds

Hobber
HOBBER is offline View HOBBER's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: