iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon O2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2009, 14:51   #1
andrewthecoder
Lazy Programmer

Send a message via ICQ to andrewthecoder Send a message via AIM to andrewthecoder Send a message via MSN to andrewthecoder Send a message via Yahoo to andrewthecoder Send a message via Skype™ to andrewthecoder
Wink O2 Hardware Details

As well as learning ARM assembly code, I've been trying to find out as much info as possible about the components inside the O2, as part of a spare-time effort to start a Rockbox port for the O2.

I am creating this thread as somewhere I can dump information.
Once I am satisfied I have enough, I'll create a Rockbox wiki page instead.

I think the most similar Rockbox target is the Creative Zen Vision M, as it is based around the TI TMS320 DM320.
Scans of that player can be found here.

All specification files (PDF) for components below are on my server, just in case they become obsolete or no longer accessible elsewhere.
(also my server should provide faster access to the somewhat large PDF files)

High-Res PCB Scan:
(8MB each)

(Second image has an extreme Unsharp Mask applied for ease of reading part numbers)

Components:

Digital Media System-on-Chip:
TMS320 DM6441 (Texas Instruments)
[Manufacturer Page]
[Detailed Info / Specification]
DSP:
C64x+
500Mhz 32-Bit DSP CPU (code-compatible with C6000)
[DaVinci Wiki Page]
[Technical Overview]
[Spec / Reference Guide / Instruction Set]
CPU:
ARM926EJ-S (Advanced RISC Machines)
250MHz 32-bit RISC CPU with Jazelle Technology (supports ARMv5TEJ instruction set)
[Manufacturer Page]
[Technical Reference Manual]

LCD Screen
:
LMS430HF02 (Samsung)
TMR, Active Matrix TFT LCD, 4.3", 480*272, 24 Bit RGB Color Screen, Back-light with 10 LEDs
[Manufacturer Page]

Touch Panel:
TP0430W (Han Touch)
4.3" 0.7mm Anti-Glare Resistive Touch Panel
[Specification]
[Specification / Diagram]

Audio Driver:

WM8960G (Wolfson Microelectronics)
[Manufacturer Page]
[Product Series Overview]

NAND Flash Disk Controller
:
SST55VD020 (Silicon Storage Technology)
[Manufacturer Page]
[Product Info]

NAND Flash Storage
:
K9HCG08U1M-PCB0 (Samsung)
8GB MLC NAND Flash
[Manufacturer Page]

NOR Flash Storage
:
S29GL032N (Spansion)
32Mb NOR Flash (EEPROM)
[Manufacturer Page]

Memory
:
K4T51163QG-HCE6 (Samsung)
512Mb 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
[Manufacturer Page]

Voltage Level Translator
:
SN74AVCA164245 (Texas Instruments)
[Manufacturer Page]

=)

-Andrew

(Firmware: D2+ 1.13 + Rockbox + Full InvisibleShield - totally worth the money.

+++ Rockbox Install Guide +++

Video;
32GB Cowon O2
+ Noreve Premium Leather Case

An awesome player is nothing without awesome
headphones;
I use Sennheiser CX400-II noise-isolating IEMs, so I can get lost in the music without deafening myself, even on noisy buses.
For social use, I pocket my
X-Mini II portable speaker.

Bragging? Never

Dentist Dunfermline

Last edited by andrewthecoder; 06-27-2009 at 17:32.. Reason: fix mistakes, add images, re-format, etc
andrewthecoder is offline View andrewthecoder's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2009, 18:56   #2
nintendude7cubed

i did a search for the screen product number on google and I found a product page at lcdworld.co.kr the reason i did this was because a while back, my o2 screen broke. Anyway this page offers this screen for 13,000 KRW (i think). I really hope I'm correct here because i converted this to us dollars and it came to only $10.29!!! It would be nice if i could get a screen for this cheap and repair my o2 myself because i so would since i have the info from these forums that i need in order to take it apart. But then again its probably impossible to buy this from korea and I'm probably wrong in terms of pricing.

Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones, Yuin PK3 earbuds (R.I.P), Blue Ever Blue 328R "the Black" ear buds
nintendude7cubed is offline View nintendude7cubed's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 19:24   #3
andrewthecoder
Lazy Programmer

Send a message via ICQ to andrewthecoder Send a message via AIM to andrewthecoder Send a message via MSN to andrewthecoder Send a message via Yahoo to andrewthecoder Send a message via Skype™ to andrewthecoder

Just to clarify, that isn't the screen that is the touch panel.
To repair your screen you would need both the LCD screen and a new touch panel, as the touch panel is permanently adhered to the LCD.

I already saw that page when I was doing my own research - they ship to the USA but I don't speak korean so could not complete an order.

Shame about your screen, what happened?

Video;
32GB Cowon O2

headphones;
I use Sennheiser CX400-II noise-isolating IEMs, so I can get lost in the music without deafening myself, even on noisy buses.

Bragging? Never

Dentist Dunfermline

Old 07-01-2009, 20:47   #4
Shortly
Overall Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendude7cubed View Post
i did a search for the screen product number on google and I found a product page at lcdworld.co.kr the reason i did this was because a while back, my o2 screen broke. Anyway this page offers this screen for 13,000 KRW (i think). I really hope I'm correct here because i converted this to us dollars and it came to only $10.29!!! It would be nice if i could get a screen for this cheap and repair my o2 myself because i so would since i have the info from these forums that i need in order to take it apart. But then again its probably impossible to buy this from korea and I'm probably wrong in terms of pricing.
My screen went out (touch portion, not the LCD), and I got an RMA and sent it in, no charge ! Back in about 1.5 weeks. Great service from Cowon. In fact, I shipped it air mail by the post office on the Friday, and I had an email notice by the following Tuesday that it was submitted to UPS for return shipment to me! The service took no time, the UPS delivery was another. I had to wait until the following Monday for delivery.

Have you tried to call Cowon? They might offer a fix cheap (or free!), or even if it is possibly a higher cost than you like, you would get the guarantee that Cowon would honor.

Just a thought.

Yeah, a broken screen is a bummer, alright . I hope yours does get fixed.
Creative Zen Nano Plus (1GB)
Rio Volt 100 (ancient!) - RIP
S.k.y.p.e. me at jimmywoodworker

Last edited by Shortly; 07-01-2009 at 21:01..
Shortly is offline View Shortly's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 18:23   #5
Erlend31

Just how powerful is the dsp chip? I mean the time-strech/speed-algorithm is pretty crappy, and the video SQ is not as good as normal audio playback (BBE effects not supported). Makes you think the dsp power is a bit limited..
Not really complaining though, it is a very versatile unit with great sound, makes my iPods look plain bad. Works great for me.
Erlend31 is offline View Erlend31's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:31   #6
nintendude7cubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortly View Post
My screen went out (touch portion, not the LCD), and I got an RMA and sent it in, no charge ! Back in about 1.5 weeks. Great service from Cowon. In fact, I shipped it air mail by the post office on the Friday, and I had an email notice by the following Tuesday that it was submitted to UPS for return shipment to me! The service took no time, the UPS delivery was another. I had to wait until the following Monday for delivery.

Have you tried to call Cowon? They might offer a fix cheap (or free!), or even if it is possibly a higher cost than you like, you would get the guarantee that Cowon would honor.

Just a thought.

Yeah, a broken screen is a bummer, alright . I hope yours does get fixed.
I did a live chat and the person told me that the fact that i broke my screen voided the warranty and it would cost money to send it in but they wouldn't say how much. I really would hate to see it cost more than 50 bucks or so to fix the screen (since the resolution is half of what it should be)... While on the subject, I'm really stupid and realized i was lookin at touch panels... so anyway i looked more into actual LCD panels. All of the places require you to send an order via inquiree or whatever you wanna call it. I'll try cowon first and if they charge any more than 50 or 60 then ill try myself. I've done this type of repair before on my Rio Karma (It's easier to find those screens since they have lots on ebay) and it works like before so I wouldn't be worried about this repair not going completely successful. But yeah i guess ill try cowon first.

Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones, Yuin PK3 earbuds (R.I.P), Blue Ever Blue 328R "the Black" ear buds
nintendude7cubed is offline View nintendude7cubed's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:35   #7
nintendude7cubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewthecoder View Post
Just to clarify, that isn't the screen that is the touch panel.
To repair your screen you would need both the LCD screen and a new touch panel, as the touch panel is permanently adhered to the LCD.

I already saw that page when I was doing my own research - they ship to the USA but I don't speak korean so could not complete an order.

Shame about your screen, what happened?
A pathetically short (less than 1 meter) drop onto rubber floor at a gym (must've landed awkwardly) all i know is that its toast and requires a new one. everything else works fine though.

Old 07-20-2009, 20:01   #8
andrewthecoder
Lazy Programmer

I have a lot more info to add now, regarding the touch panel.
It isn't particularly relevant to Rockbox development, but may be interesting to some.

I am lucky enough to have a spare O2, which cost me nothing.
This is my designated "development" player, which if the worst comes to it, is expendable.
I figured I am not interested in using the touch panel in rockbox, at least not for a long while, and I was annoyed by the lack of definitive information I had been able to find regarding it.
So I dismantled it.

The touch panel is mostly made up of a millimetre-thick piece of glass and a thin piece of film. There are copper tracks running around the edges of the glass to the four corners. These are the sensors. The panel in the O2 is a four-wire device.

The panel is glued onto the LCD display by strong adhesive, but can be removed without damage by sliding a razor along one edge first, then slowly along the others whilst gently prising the panel from the LCD.
The panel does not have any connection to the LCD, can be used on a desk or other if the four-wire connection is extended.
(I ran a metre-long cable from the dismantled O2 on my desk to the touch panel in my hands, and was able to control it normally after a little experimenting with pressure points)

I then accidentally applied too much pressure and broke the panel.
So, I figured I should find out more about it, especially suppliers

By measuring it precisely and a few hours of googling, I got what I wanted.
Contact details of a few suppliers of 4.3" 4-wire resistive touch panels.
I have emailed 5 suppliers, and have received replies and quotes from 3 so far.
The cheapest quote I have received is 2 US$/unit, and the smallest minimum order size 500 units.

Now, here is an example message I have replied today;
Quote:
Thankyou for the prompt response and quote.
Based on the detailed specifications you sent me, I think an order of 5000 TTW4042008 units would be suitable for my business' application.
However, I cannot place an order without testing the device with our LCD screens.
Is there any way to make a request for a sample unit?
If the sample proved suitable for our needs, would you be able to deliver the order before the 31st September?

Kind Regards,
Andrew
I am hoping I can get a few businesses to send me sample panels, and a) replace my own, and b) replace anybody else's who is willing to post their damaged O2 to me.

In doing this, I have also collected much more detailed specification on the touch panel itself - it is originally manufactured by Fujitsu. Most of the businesses I have contacted got the units as excess from the production chain.
Check this out for example: http://www.sztoptouch.com/english/cp2/4line/4.3.htm

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what the point of this post was. Perhaps just another brain dump for me =)
Either way, if I manage to receive any touch panels, I'll make sure to tell you guys and perhaps offer a few repairs.

Video;
32GB Cowon O2

headphones;

Bragging? Never

Dentist Dunfermline

Thanks from:
Old 07-21-2009, 11:52   #9
tpilk

Wow, Andrew! Great info there.

Black 16GB O2 + Fiio E5 Amplifier + Shure E2c
Black 2GB Sansa Clip + Soundmagic PL-20 / Fiio PS1110
60GB X5 - SEMI-RETIRED

tpilk is offline View tpilk's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 14:17   #10
andrewthecoder
Lazy Programmer

Haha, I wonder if this would be classed as bending the truth a little too much?

Quote:
Dear Anita,

A 5 unit sample would be perfect, how soon could they be delivered?

My business has used DHL in the past, but we are a local firm and have a contract with HDNL within the UK.
No express account with DHL or UPS, will this be a problem?

I am the contact person, the delivery address would be;

AB Solutions,
288 Main Street,
Kelty,
KY4 0BB
Scotland
United Kingdom

and contact telephone number +447835171222

The LCD screens and touch panels are parts of a custom portable media player device we are designing for a client, to be used within the workplace as tour supplements.

Kind Regards,
Andrew

Video;
32GB Cowon O2

headphones;

Bragging? Never

Dentist Dunfermline

Old 07-23-2009, 03:36   #11
XHolyNoobX

Lol I should try that trick

I never thought of posing as a businessman LOL
XHolyNoobX is offline View XHolyNoobX's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Tags
components, hardware, rockbox, spec