iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon D2/D2+ > D2 Videos & Recordings

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2007, 01:36   #1
denisavu

Default Best FLAC converter

What is the best lossless format for the D2? Can someone share their routine on how one converts .wav (CD) to this lossless format (i.e, FLAC)?

Many thanks.
denisavu is offline View denisavu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2007, 02:43   #2
The_Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisavu View Post
What is the best lossless format for the D2? Can someone share their routine on how one converts .wav (CD) to this lossless format (i.e, FLAC)?

Many thanks.
/me personally use EAC + Flac 1.1.3 (D2 still can't play 1.1.4). If you want, I can mail you EAC compression preset.
The_Chief is offline View The_Chief's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24   #3
Barron

If i feel like ripping a cd in flac i will just use media monkey, very easy to use.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:07   #4
AussiePie

I use EAC>Flac

There's also DBpoweramp which rips to FLAC 1.1.3 straight from a CD or converts from wav its a fairly fast program and easy to use, can also be set up for accurate ripping

converts from FLAC to whatever?(lossless/lossy) as well very quickly and transfers tags
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16   #5
tamanaco

I use dBpowerAMP for the bulk of my ripping from CD to FLAC 1.1.4 Level 8 to build my "full" music library that I store in my home media server. There is a FLAC 1.1.4 plug-in beta for dBpowerAMP already available and it works fine. http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12302
I don't use FLAC on my D2 as I feel that loseless formats take too much space on portable devices such as the D2 that lack massive amounts of storage. I use my FLAC (loseless library) with my Home AV system using SlimServer via a SqueezeBox 3. I use dBpowerAMP batch converter to convert a "subset" of my FLAC library to a smaller lossy library for use in my D2 and SmarPhone. I convert this "favorites" subset to MP3 VBR -V2 standard using the Lame plug-in converter in dBpowerAMP. dBpowerAMP is a lot easier to use and setup than EAC and has a series of plug-ins and companion tools to help you convert several files from one format to another in batch mode. Is not free. I bought the R12 Reference as it allow me to click and convert a bunch of files from one format to another while keeping the integrity of my tags including embeded album Art.

I only use EAC when ripping CDs that generate errors using dBpowerAMP ripper and "might" required a ripper like EAC that is more accurate and that recovers better from CD ripping errors. When the dBpowerAMP ripper does not find the album art I use MP3TAG 2.37j beta to insert the the missing album Art by selecting the whole album and inserting the album art to all the album files in a couple of clicks.

Btw, I just noticed that MP3TAG 2.38 which supports FLAC 1.1.4 embeded album art was released a couple days ago.

Last edited by tamanaco; 05-02-2007 at 10:54..
tamanaco is offline View tamanaco's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:12   #6
jcgamer60

Is the FLAC 1.1.4 version still an issue with the D2? I converted most of my music to FLAC recently with dbpoweramp and i think i have 1.1.4.

Last edited by jcgamer60; 05-08-2007 at 08:22..
jcgamer60 is offline View jcgamer60's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15   #7
GSV3MiaC
Ancient Cranky Technocrat

I'd just like to second dbpoweramp as the best converter/ripper combo out there (it's ludicrously easy to download and install a new codec, compared to the hoops you have to go through with some other players/converters).

Mediamonkey is probably better for organizing library, tracking CDs, etc. but the conversion is still stuck in the past (can't write .wma VBR yet, still not using latest .OGG codec which can use dual core, etc. etc.).

Only wrinkle with dbpoweramp is that the laterst version is nerfed and can't 'rip whole CD as one track' any more - luckily old versions still can.

Personally I keep my master copies as .ogg (Q7 or better), flac's just too big (and I have the CDs anyway if I need them), and mass-convert everything to .ogg q=0/1 for portable players, and to .wma CBR 128 kb/s for burning cds for the car player, which is too dumb to handle VBR of any flavour.
GSV3MiaC is offline View GSV3MiaC's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 21:18   #8
jcgamer60

Can anyone confirm the flac 1.1.4 issue still?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:53   #9
The_Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgamer60 View Post
Can anyone confirm the flac 1.1.4 issue still?
D2 still can't deal with 1.1.4, even with latest beta firmware.
The_Chief is offline View The_Chief's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:08   #10
jcgamer60

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
D2 still can't deal with 1.1.4, even with latest beta firmware.
Thats really sucks.. This must be a priority since they advertise their product as supporting FLAC without mentioning a specific version. How long does it usually take before a new beta firmware comes out?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:31   #11
Agca

Quote:
Thats really sucks.. This must be a priority since they advertise their product as supporting FLAC without mentioning a specific version. How long does it usually take before a new beta firmware comes out?
Where is a problem? FLAC 1.1.3 works absolutely fine!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:34   #12
Hess
Limey

If you decide to use EAC to rip with FLAC, then follow this tutorial, it will optimize the settings and give you the best output.

http://www2.firehose.us:81/~jiggafellz/eac/index.html

Last edited by Hess; 05-10-2007 at 06:35.. Reason: Forgot URL :P
Hess is offline View Hess's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35   #13
jcgamer60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agca View Post
Where is a problem? FLAC 1.1.3 works absolutely fine!
Yet, the latest version is 1.1.4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess View Post
If you decide to use EAC to rip with FLAC, then follow this tutorial, it will optimize the settings and give you the best output.

http://www2.firehose.us:81/~jiggafellz/eac/index.html
Thanks but i'm currently using dbpoweramp.

Last edited by jcgamer60; 05-10-2007 at 07:38..
Old 05-10-2007, 08:54   #14
Agca

Quote:
Yet, the latest version is 1.1.4...
Yes, but is there any majority difference between version 1.1.3 a 1.1.4? I doubt about it. But I understand, it is irritating, if somebody has every file in the PC encoded with 1.1.4...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57   #15
jcgamer60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agca View Post
Yes, but is there any majority difference between version 1.1.3 a 1.1.4? I doubt about it. But I understand, it is irritating, if somebody has every file in the PC encoded with 1.1.4...
Yeah, you can't help but get irritated at tiny flaws like this, especially when you pay over $200 for something.