iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > iAudio X5 > X5 Rockbox Discussions

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2007, 05:51   #1
makaveli789

Default Rockbox and charging at the same time?

I just installed Rockbox dual boot on my X5 and am really impressed with it. After getting it configured right down to the T, I put it on my craddle to charge. The Cowon battery charging animation came up as well as the red charging LED, just as normal. Then I switched on to Rockbox (short press of power-on) and the red LED charging light went off...

So, I just wanted to ask if this is normal and whether Rockbox supports charging whilst in use?
makaveli789 is offline View makaveli789's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2007, 06:23   #2
bk0

This is a little controversial. Some developers say that you shouldn't charge the unit while Rockbox is running because RB doesn't fully support the power management chip yet. Llorean (who isn't really a developer) has claimed that since charging is hardware-controlled the battery can't be damaged. I personally avoid charging while Rockbox is running just to be safe.

BTW, the red/greed charging LED is software-controlled so don't pay too much attention to it.
bk0 is offline View bk0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:32   #3
makaveli789

I see, thanks for that. So there's no official word on it from Rockbox? I really wanted to hook it up to my pc speakers in it's cradle (as the sound quality is better than my soundcard), but not at the expense of it blowing up in my face!

I guess it's a good thing I set it up in dual boot.

PS: I've noticed that on the original firmware, the BBE setting really disrupts the highs, is this what people mean when they say the X5 has a "roll off" on the upper frequencies?
Old 01-12-2007, 14:00   #4
Llorean

I am in fact a developer, though only on a minor scale. I tend to be more administrative, but I did consult core developers before making my statement.

I was told that lithium ion, almost as a necessity, must be hardware controlled. The hardware itself prevents you from overcharging the battery.
Llorean is offline View Llorean's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 18:51   #5
bk0

Sorry, Llorean, I didn't mean any offense. I just assumed you were the forums admin and helped on the tracker, but didn't realize you have submitted code as well.
bk0 is offline View bk0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 21:18   #6
supertoad

i've done it, nothing bad happened.
supertoad is offline View supertoad's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 23:53   #7
makaveli789

I see.... so just to summarise:

1. It's not dangerous to use Rockbox from a charger/adapter.

2. The battery still charges whilst Rockbox is running as the lithium ion battery is hardware controlled.

3. I should ignore the charging LED on the X5 as it is software controlled and so may be down to Rockbox not having the code to switch it on.