iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > iAudio X5 > X5 Rockbox Discussions

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2006, 12:50   #1
Kitt0s

Toungue a gui friendly bootloader! :]

hey all,

well, the first i installed rockbox i thought only good things about it, except its really reallly reallly ugly..

and then came the wps, the themes.. then the custom splash screen..

and now.. a custom bootloader..

u know that ugly text with the not-so-very-usefull information when you turn ON your x5?

well, i'v managed to make my own gui friendly bootloader.. wich looks like this:

there is a nice progressbar that moves till 100%... it works very nice, and tested alot of times...

i have not yet managed to make it as the dual bootloader so its not yet botting the original firmware... but soon enough it will..

leech it here: http://kitty.clank3.nl/x5_fw.bin
source files: http://kitty.clank3.nl/bootloader.rar

do comment..

Kitt0s

Last edited by Kitt0s; 10-27-2006 at 07:19..
Kitt0s is offline View Kitt0s's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2006, 13:15   #2
maxwen0

Send a message via ICQ to maxwen0

Cool work
maxwen0 is offline View maxwen0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 13:44   #3
JRWaite

Boy does the X5 Rockbox community have taleted people or what.. Great job all..
JRWaite is offline View JRWaite's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 14:34   #4
afruff23
Hater of Epithets

"not-so-very-usefull information"
This information can sometimes help in troubleshooting.
Old 10-26-2006, 15:02   #5
Ant

Hmm, looks fantastic. I will cerainly give it a try, when you get it working on the dual bootloader. However, I must admit I find being able to see the voltage of the battery very handy as I can get an idea of how much battery I have left, without having to wait for it to load fully. (very handy as a quick check to see whether I need to grap the car charger)
Dynatron SP-3 (Retro, lol)
Ant is offline View Ant's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 15:19   #6
Kitt0s

@ afruff23

well i can agree with that.. but i think most ppl don't realy look at that information.. i know it can be very useful.. but this bootloader is for those who don't find this info useful..

@ Ant,
i think we can work something up..
how about a battery icon at top that tells u how much u got? or even the text it self..
Old 10-26-2006, 17:34   #7
bk0

I hate to sound like a jerk (from your screenshot this looks like some good work), but remember that rockbox including bootloader is GPL so please also make sources (or a diff) available when you distribute binaries. I'm interested in seeing how you implemented this.
bk0 is offline View bk0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:18   #8
Kitt0s

heh sure bk0 np,

if you look up, i'v included the source..
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25   #9
greyTux

I tested it on my x5 30GB... It works great and looks ok, but the progress bar is flickering... It would be great if this can be fixed.

So we are just waiting for a setting in rockbox for loading a individual startup logo... (i know that the bitmap can be changed and compiled, but i mean, it should be loaded from hdd )
greyTux is offline View greyTux's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40   #10
Ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt0s View Post
@ afruff23

well i can agree with that.. but i think most ppl don't realy look at that information.. i know it can be very useful.. but this bootloader is for those who don't find this info useful..

@ Ant,
i think we can work something up..
how about a battery icon at top that tells u how much u got? or even the text it self..
Sounds like a good plan, I think either would be fine although with the voltage it can give you an idea of just how far you are down the last bar, but then a battery meter would just look a load better. If you want to do this, that would be great, do it however you would prefer.
Dynatron SP-3 (Retro, lol)
Ant is offline View Ant's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:40   #11
maxwen0

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyTux View Post
So we are just waiting for a setting in rockbox for loading a individual startup logo... (i know that the bitmap can be changed and compiled, but i mean, it should be loaded from hdd )
Problem is that the logo is displayed before even the hdd is enabled
Old 10-28-2006, 09:14   #12
Kitt0s

i don't think so max.. i'v managed to make it load the a bmp.. but not show it.. didn't have time to mess around and find how to load it for real.. and show it.. but it should be easy..
the rockbox itself is loaded after loading all the hdd stuff..else from where would it read the .rockbox file ?

anyway, its possible.. just gotta find how.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:57   #13
RaeNye

Personally I don't like the new bootloader as I want it to be as quick as possible, but if it helps to attract more people towards RB, it's a good thing.

In order to have a slight chance of committing this, there must be a way to re-enable information printing, e.g., by pressing any key or by having HOLD set.
Also, when something goes wrong (e.g., load_firmware() returns nonzero), relevant information should be printed.

To make it dual-bootable, apply the dual-boot patch from flyspray, compile a bootloader build and run mkboot with the newly created bootloader/bootloader.bin and the OF.
The patch changes boot.lds and crt0.S, so it won't collide with Kitt0s' code.
RaeNye is offline View RaeNye's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 14:01   #14
Kitt0s

well, as far as i can see.. there is no big diffrence in the loading time.. we can make a test tho.. calculate the bootloader loading time and printing \ writing it in a txt file or something...

when something goes wrong, as in an error.. it _will_ print the error message as you can see in the code.. it will just overwrite the images.. so no problem there..

about the dualboot.. i tried it before i released it.. no big luck.. the patch didn't work on the latest CVS (a few days ago..), cuz crt0.S really changed from what i saw.. but i will try it on a CVS from 17-05-2006 should be ok..

i managed to make the RB dualboot.. but when i combined the 2 with mkboot and upgraded my player, it didn't boot..
and a question.. do i need to scramble bootloader.bin?
Old 10-28-2006, 14:18   #15
maxwen0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt0s View Post
i don't think so max.. i'v managed to make it load the a bmp.. but not show it.. didn't have time to mess around and find how to load it for real.. and show it.. but it should be easy..
the rockbox itself is loaded after loading all the hdd stuff..else from where would it read the .rockbox file ?

anyway, its possible.. just gotta find how.
Sure it is possible but later in the init process (when hdd is initialized)
and then it is shown only short which makes not much sense