iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Legacy Cowon Models > Hard Drive Players > iAudio 6

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2006, 14:12   #31
weschester808

Default cheap microphone solution

Ok, so this might be the best cheap solution I have found so far.

Spy Ear
http://www.stupid.com/stat/SEAR.html

So, use that but instead of using headphones with it I will use a mini-jack cable to hook it to the line in on my i6.

it should work OK for lo-fi recordings, which is all I care about since I will use it for lectures.

this is where I read about it:

http://www.neurosaudio.com/community...82&whichpage=1
weschester808 is offline View weschester808's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2006, 07:28   #32
frankmulder

eXity, in your review you said "The cable that goes to the left bud is shorter than the one that goes to the right, so you donít have so much cable mess (y-style)." But that's not called Y-style; that's how a symmetric cable is called. Sometimes they call those asymmetric cables "J-style".
frankmulder is offline View frankmulder's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:16   #33
randallb

Default Earphone wires

The Cowon America online knowledge base suggests that you route the longer wire behind your neck. They even have a picture.

http://support.cowonamerica.com/supp...d=5&nav=0,3,18
randallb is offline View randallb's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:23   #34
Martinp
Former iAudiophile/DAPreview editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmulder
eXity, in your review you said "The cable that goes to the left bud is shorter than the one that goes to the right, so you donít have so much cable mess (y-style)." But that's not called Y-style; that's how a symmetric cable is called. Sometimes they call those asymmetric cables "J-style".
Oops, I messed up there - will fix that soon.
Old 05-22-2006, 14:16   #35
Jackal

Default Help

I'm about to buy my first MP3 player and I need some advice. First of all I own a set of Shure E5 earphones and I am looking the best sounding player out there. I'm stuck between the X5l or the I6. Capacity isn't my worry only sound quality.
Which one would you guys recommend ? I'm aware the X5L has been around for a while now so should I go for the newer one ?
Hope someone can help me as I am really stuck !
Jackal is offline View Jackal's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 14:22   #36
afruff23
Hater of Epithets

If sound quality is your only concern, then try going to head-fi.org or hydrogenaudio.org. Make sure whatever you get supports FLAC and OGG(or whatever you use).
afruff23 is offline View afruff23's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 14:49   #37
Jackal

Thanks for the reply, the Iaudio6 and the X5L both seem to support both formats but which one will give the better quality audio ? Will I lose much space with the higher spec formats ?
Old 05-22-2006, 15:29   #38
gopihan

flac files are 20 to 40 mb each file but to me they sound better than the wave files
ape copresses a bit more but is not supported by stand alone devices
gopihan is offline View gopihan's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 15:30   #39
Martinp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopihan
flac files are 20 to 40 mb each file but to me they sound better than the wave files
ape copresses a bit more but is not supported by stand alone devices
Uh, technichally a FLAC file is a wav file. It can't sound better really. Well, it shouldn't sound better anyway.
Old 05-22-2006, 15:51   #40
gopihan

it sounds more harmonic some pitches are a bit darker and rounder in sound it has to do with the compression method used at flac for ape this is the same. some channels are modified in a way bbe does

i am in my advanced study period of computer science in audio-visual systems i think i know what i am talking about :winker:

and perhaps was better the wrong word . different is more suitable

but file size is worth the sound

Last edited by gopihan; 05-22-2006 at 15:59..
Old 05-22-2006, 16:16   #41
Martinp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopihan
it sounds more harmonic some pitches are a bit darker and rounder in sound it has to do with the compression method used at flac for ape this is the same. some channels are modified in a way bbe does

i am in my advanced study period of computer science in audio-visual systems i think i know what i am talking about :winker:

and perhaps was better the wrong word . different is more suitable

but file size is worth the sound
Sorry dude, I wasn't critisizing you.

I just don't quite understand seeing that if you convert FLAC to wav and to FLAC again and then to wav you will always end up with the same MD5 sum. So the files sound 100% identical. It just depends on the decoder really.

But you probably know more about this than I do.
Old 05-22-2006, 17:01   #42
gopihan

it is hard to understand like bbe for example cause their sound algorithms create sound where no sound was by interpolating and guessing whats next. you can reverse this process if you got the algorithm which can calculate it back so the result will be the same like before by using special bits and so on but this lead to far

so flac can sound different by convering it from a wave. it is hard to hear a difference between both ! you will rather see it with an oscilloscope than hearing it. and the older you get the lower your audible frequencys get so perhaps the ones above 15 or 18 k are already out of your range. loud music and stress

but back to topic still waiting for my player here in germany damn firmware probs
Old 05-22-2006, 17:04   #43
Jackal

No one has yet answered my question, Iaudio6 or X5L for better sound ?
Old 05-22-2006, 21:35   #44
vinnie97

Quote:
This sounds like snake oil. How have you come to this conclusion? Back to back listening of the files in full awareness of what was playing? Again, objective blind tests are the only way you can definitively make such claims. FLAC makes no modification to the sound that is audible...that is the point of lossless. If that were the case, you might as well forego lossless altogether and stay with MP3, OGG, WMA or what have you. When the FLAC is decompressed to WAV again, you have the equivalent WAV that you started out with, which is proof that there has been no "darkening of the pitches" nor has it been made to sound "more harmonic." An oscilloscope will be distorted by a decoder as well, you know, especially if some EQ was applied or if there was some other masking of the audio.

Exity, you're the only one talking sense here as far as I can tell.

Quote:
No one has yet answered my question, Iaudio6 or X5L for better sound ?
Maybe that isn't a question which can be easily answered...

Last edited by vinnie97; 05-22-2006 at 22:07..
vinnie97 is offline View vinnie97's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 00:04   #45
afruff23
Hater of Epithets

When I said go to head-fi.org, I implied that you would check out other things besides iAudio for sound quality, although I believe they will point you to an iAudio product in the end.
afruff23 is offline View afruff23's Photo Album   Reply With Quote