iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > General Audio > Portable Audio Gear

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2012, 15:46   #1
eskimo

Default Headphones (sorry!) & a Thanks!

Firstly, a big thanks to the informative topics some of you guys wrote and posted in. I finally managed to decide on a Cowon J3. It was a hard choice, but if only i was able to demo one, then it wouldn't of been

Anyhow, i was planning for new headphones, but even more so now my Bose IEs don't perform so well with the J3.

I was hoping that i wouldn't have to use peoples time by registering and asking for advice on headphones. But i'm really struggling to understand some of them, and how they sound due to no experience.

My previous setup was a Walkman A818 with Bose IE and WMA 196kps (WMA > MP3 so i was led to believe over the years). That sounded good, and was happy. But wanted more recently. (forgive my descriptions now!) The treble/highs is 'put forward' and 'clear'. The mid 'kicks precisely' and well, with voice being clear at the same time. The lows, well there isn't any. A very light clean thump is what you get, unless the EQ comes into play. But this messes up the relationship with other sounds, quite noticeable on particular sections of music, but only now and then. The J3 gave them even more clarity, and that's on flat settings, used flat settings on the Walkman 90% of the time too. The 'soundstage' was good, but i know there's gotta be better due to my untrained ears.

A closed headphone is what i'm after. Pure isolation from the outside. I will in the near future, be buying some Vinyl decks to mix DnB, (wait there). They may also be used for video editing, i use a Rode mic with my camera to film bmx/trials. And will be using these when riding sometimes, when a helmet isn't required. They will be used at work (in a warehouse), but i won't be there forever so DJ/ Mixing is the highest priority. (one more thing), i may use these for gaming or films if the 'soundstage'? is good. Soundstage how you perceive noises to come from different areas from around you??

Music genres. Yeah i'm a DnB head, but the DnB i listen to has a large variation of sounds, while also becoming very busy with many different sounds sometimes. [BSE, Ed Rush, Gridlok, Prolix] for those aware of.
However, not straying to far away from there, Venetian Snares, Classical based albums.
Next up, Punk and Metal. [We're talking Slayer, Adolescents, Rancid, Blink] So yeah slightly contradicting in themselves even.
A big fan of any old game music and mixes. [Sonic Mayhem [quake] OC Remixes [voices of the lifestream!], Frank Klepacki, Bart Klepka, Zircon]
On a happier note. [The Sounds, Trocadero]
And it's probably is irrelevant now, but [DJ Hixxy [bonkers]]

--So a round up. Non mainstream DnB, Punk, Metal, Classical and all things electronic inbetween.

What would i like?
Clarity highs and vocals
Aggressive and precise on fast busy music
Real on form bass, not forced, or overdone
Spacious, large soundstage to get lost in

One sided replaceable cable.
Room (my ears are slightly bigger than average)
A box or case would be nice.
And the best durability if possible. Weight isn't and issue if comfort isn't completely poor.

OK, i suck. But i would like to be able to beatmatch while mixing and take advantage of the J3's EQ settings to bring out for highs or lows when required.

90% of my music is purchased and owned on CD. So FLAC is the game when i get round to re-ripping my CD collection. Currently in WMA lossless. The other 10% is Mp3 downloaded free stuff, unavailable to purchase.

Budget huh? Ideally 100 to 200 GBP. I was lucky to get my J3 for 150 straight from Korea.

Unfortunately in the nearest city, there isn't any places that demo all the brands. Only Bose, Sennheiser, Beats, Skullcandy. But i'm gonna keep looking.
From what i currently know and have read (i've read allot, i hide in the warehouse while my friend does the work, which we take in turns :p );
Shure 940. Smart, boxed, cables, studio monitoring, and can handle bass when EQ'd
Audio Technica M50s. Good allround studio monitor but poor soundstage
That's as far i've got to ones i like/ suit.

Hopefully not missed anything (again)! Feel free to rip my questions/ ideas apart. I'm always open for improvement.

And again many thanks. PS, you may see this topic at ABI.

Last edited by eskimo; 05-03-2012 at 16:00.. Reason: Yeah i forgot something
eskimo is offline View eskimo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-03-2012, 16:11   #2
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

i know this will be over budget for you but what your asking for fits perfectly so im adding it as a suggestion.

Quote:
Clarity highs and vocals
Aggressive and precise on fast busy music
Real on form bass, not forced, or overdone
Spacious, large soundstage to get lost in
thats pretty much what i have with the beyerdynamics dt880's, although im using the 32ohm and dont feel they are really well driven by the j3 (same for my ue10's (32ohm) so that would be a pointless loop for you.
although they do sound very very good no question there.
i got mine for around 200usd.

so maybe save a little more and get an amp as well, ive been looking into the jds labs c421 amp (around $180\ about 100 quid)

now bear in mind the 600ohm dt880's are said to be buttery smooth and way more refined than the 32ohm version, there is also a 250ohm version, both would be run well with the amp.

the opinion i got from the guy at jds labs was:
Quote:
i can't speak for the 32 ohm DT-880's, but we do use the 250 edition here. The difference un-amped vs. amped is night and day. C421 drives our DT-880s extremely well (tremendous volume gain and excellent clarity). The OPA2227 and AD8620 are both great chips. OPA2227 is warmer. If you still can't decide, I suggest the OPA2227, as it's proven most popular.
i also asked again about how the 32ohm version specifically could be affected, to which i got no reply

the dt's are really easy to mod too, so you can make them into virtual 990's, adjust soundstage, bass and loads of other things using small physical mods, and the beyer guarantee is based on the drivers so they wont spit at you for opening them up and doing some minor mods so long as you didnt carelessly damage anything usefull (like the drivers).
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23   #3
eskimo

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for some more recommendation. But i've now done allot more reading on top of before. I've also found a shop not to far away which stock the Shure940 and ATH-M50s so hopefully can demo them, because these still are appearing to suit me well. I've crossed the Ultrasone 750s off my list and the Denon1000s i think it was as well.

However i'd love to hear some Grados too, as they keep appearing in peoples posts everywhere.

As for the DT880s, they're open which i won't be able to use unfortunately.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44   #4
Enzyme

it'll be a tough job finding a large soundstage in a closed phone, but perhaps thats where you might focus your search, it should cut down the options considerably.

and yeah i would love to have a listen to the grado's although from what ive read they seem to be clinging to an old reputation and the newer models are said to be not as good as the old in some respects. i think there are better options.
the (i should have added 'design section of' here) grado company has been passed onto the son of the family so maybe there will be some changes for the better in the near future.

Last edited by Enzyme; 05-07-2012 at 23:08..
Old 05-07-2012, 17:31   #5
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

Take a look at the Incase Sonic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/588289/incase-sonic

You may be pleasantly surprised,...
Old 05-07-2012, 23:15   #6
Enzyme

interesting indeed, they really need to drop the bestbuys and get some decent audio suppliers here in p.r., it's a killer :\

there is an apple store here but the manager was a blatantly transparent and arrogant twister of truth to the verge of lying who stared at me relentlessly with bitch eyes due to my off-putting his sale, so i wont ever step foot in there again unless it's to slap him repeatedly with the ipad2 my wife bought.

Quote:
"Balance is what is most important to me, and these deliver on that, they are clear, they expose badly mixed music, and make good stuff stand out."
well stated. and i guess thats all that one needs.

Last edited by Enzyme; 05-07-2012 at 23:17..
Old 05-08-2012, 16:52   #7
eskimo

Those Incase Sonics seem all too fashionable based for my liking. I did check them out, and the few reviews people put out were good, but other closed headphones were still reported to be much more dialled.

I said screw it and ordered the M50s. Can't wait! Least with these being pretty cheap (140GBP) i could bring myself to buy some other headphones if wanting something in the less critical style of listening.

I'll report back when i give these a thorough listening over some time.

Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2012, 18:45   #8
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Actually, the Sonic's are more detailed than the M50's. I sold mine BECAUSE of the lack of detail, and the recessed mids. And, the Sonic's are more detailed than almost all the hp's in their price bracket. Just an FYI,...
Old 05-08-2012, 21:42   #9
Enzyme

well theres the first blatant bad review ive seen regarding the m50's, most owners and ex owners seem to adore them.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27   #10
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

They're great, but not "the best thing since sliced bread",...