iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon J3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2012, 21:45   #1
skypilotpete

Default What to do now that J3 is discontinued?

The J3 is by far the best mp3 player that I've ever had, so the fact that it has been discontinued is causing me to think about what I will do when mine inevitably finishes its life at some point in the future. Haldex, the Australian distributor, is not listing the J3 on their website any more, and Minidisc.com, where I purchased mine, says that they can't get any more stock once their current stock runs out. I'm thinking about buying another one just as a backup, but another part of me says "don't be silly, when your J3 finally wears out, there will be something just as good, if not better, around." I've still got a functioning D2, so I wouldn't be totally without a player if something went wrong with the J3.

Is anyone else out there giving thought to a J3-less future? What are you thinking?
skypilotpete is offline View skypilotpete's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2012, 22:37   #2
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

not worried tbh, i think "there will be something just as good, if not better, around" is the right outlook on this issue, ive no doubts in two years time the j3 will be far outclassed, and i see my j3 lasting that long without too much servicing.

also most of whats breakable via normal usage on the j3 is fixable, buttons, sockets, casing, battery etc.
if anything a replacement screen would be all i would consider buying as a backup.
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:43   #3
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzyme View Post
also most of whats breakable via normal usage on the j3 is fixable, buttons, sockets, casing, battery etc.
if anything a replacement screen would be all i would consider buying as a backup.
Have you found a source for replacement buttons and casing? If so, that would be something awesome to know. Or are you thinking substitutions that may impact portability/aesthetics?
mutescream is offline View mutescream's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 23:56   #4
skypilotpete

I rang Haldex, the Australian distributor for Cowon, and spoke directly to the guy who deals with Cowon International. He said that they (Haldex) will be continuing to support the J3 in terms of repairs etc, and that he was confident that Cowon was going to continue producing parts for it. He also said that he has been told by Cowon that they are going to release a replacement model for the J3 in October (he said, knowing Cowon, expect it next February in Australia.) Cowon has told him that the reason for the gap between discontinuing the J3 and announcing its replacement was because, when they released the J3, Cowon was left with large numbers of the S9 in its warehouse, which are still sitting there unsaleable. Apparently they are making sure that this doesn't happen with the J3.
skypilotpete is offline View skypilotpete's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59   #5
Enzyme

Quote:
Have you found a source for replacement buttons and casing? If so, that would be something awesome to know. Or are you thinking substitutions that may impact portability/aesthetics?
well speaking for myself i'm happy to either mould or shape new buttons using resin or plastic or replace them with the closest alternatives, that said it would be very rare for the plastic button cover to break as it's so compact and more often it will be damage to the inner switch mechanism that causes an issue.

my soldering leaves much to be desired but with a little care and patience those repairs are not so difficult.

as for the casing, again resin or jbweld followed by a nice paint job and it's good as new.

im not one to throw out a device due to a crack or chip, i was raised to repair rather than replace (father was a builder with little money during childhood) and the philosophy of the million dollar man springs true, often to great effect and puzzled looks

these days though :s get looked at like your strange if you pull out a needle n thread and fix a torn beltloop in your jeans or something similar.

Last edited by Enzyme; 05-07-2012 at 08:05..
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52   #6
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

I wasn't being critical, I was more looking at what was actually available. I'm more than happy to explore alternative repair options myself, however not everyone has the skill or the inclination to attempt such things. Thank you for the clarification.

As for those unsaleable S9's mentioned in a previous post... Cowon could either lower the price on them or retrofit them to make them more attractive.
Old 05-07-2012, 17:40   #7
Enzyme

s9's unsaleable!!! wtf, s9's are good devices, lacking an sd card it's true but definatly worth buying.
Old 05-07-2012, 19:21   #8
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Now it will remain to be seen if I made a wise choice in my J3 purchase. I probably would not have purchased it, had I known there would be a non android PMP coming down the pipeline.

I'm getting the feeling I might be annoyed by it accepting the new form factor microSD chips that will be coming out. Grr.
Old 05-08-2012, 00:05   #9
Enzyme

very interested in seeing what they come up with this time, 20hr battery on the z2 was the big no for me and seemed like a backward step despite the tech details of why and how.

new interface maybe.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42   #10
Ghisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotpete View Post
He also said that he has been told by Cowon that they are going to release a replacement model for the J3 in October (he said, knowing Cowon, expect it next February in Australia.)
That's awesome, knowing that I ordered a J3 2 days ago... *sarcasm*
Although the western release is probably a year away and we don't know whether it will be running Android or Cowon's OS. Let's wait & see.

- Cowon S9 32 GB (Titanium Black) -
- Hippo VB -
- Cowon IAudio X5L 30 Gb + Remote -
Ghisy is offline View Ghisy's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31   #11
zen-kizu
Formerly "Kizune"

I hope it won't use Android... it's a good OS, but battery life and reliability (my Z2 crashes sometimes; the J3 doesn't) are far more important to me than apps.

Profiles: Google+ // deviantART // flickr
zen-kizu is offline View zen-kizu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 17:28   #12
Negaiido

My iaudio 7 just broke today and now I need a new iaudio mp3 player but with the discontinuation I'm not sure if I should buy a J3.
Is it wise enough to buy a new J3 or should I look into something else? I know they'll still support it but with a new purchase I'd rather buy something else.
Negaiido is offline View Negaiido's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 19:05   #13
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

I looked around... Not too many PMP's out there these days that don't rely on android. The J3 appeared to be the best of the bunch imo (of non android PMP's). However, if you do go that route, I recommend not waiting too long, if you want accessibility to accessories. Those will be much more difficult to buy than the J3's (Rearth has already discontinued making new cases, and is just selling existing stock).
Thanks from:
Old 05-16-2012, 02:57   #14
Negaiido

I don't really need any accessories so that's the reason why I'm in a hurry atm. I would like to have a new mp3 player soon though, I do miss my iAudio 7. Not so sure if I do need a PMP because mostly I just listen to music but I do want a Cowon mp3 player. I've decided to buy it anyway, hopefully I'll still have the support if needed.

Last edited by Negaiido; 05-16-2012 at 03:04..
Negaiido is offline View Negaiido's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16   #15
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Being able to watch movies can be fun for when you have to kill time, though. Although the screen is small (3.3"), it is very watchable due to the quality of the amoled screen.