iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Cowon iAudio > Cowon Systems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05   #1
Gizchops

Location: From near Birmingham, England. Currently traveling South East Asia.
Confused Cowon & Mac compatibility? (Newbie Audiophile!)

Hello music lovers.

I am a newbie to this world of audiophilia. So new, in fact, I don't own a Cowon or even a decent set of headphones. (I know!).

I am currently traveling South East Asia though, and on doing some research into FLAC, I noticed that there is a place in Indonesia, called Headphoneku, which I plan to visit, with a hope that there may be a possibility of getting a Cowon at a good price.

Firstly, though, I have some questions, which I was wondering if any of you would kindly answer for me.

I have looked at several models of Cowon, and like the look of 2 or 3, mainly the J3. However, I have a macbook, and I remember reading that people have experienced problems when connecting a Cowons (J3) to a mac. Is this common?

Secondly, obviously I highly doubt a Cowon will sync with iTunes. Is it a fairly easy procedure to drag and drop files from a laptop/computer (mac) to a Cowon? And is it possible to create playlists by lumping certain songs into separate folders to drag across? Playlists are what I live for.

Thirdly, another thing very important to me is audio crossfade. You know how you can arrange certain songs together so that they blend into one? I've done loads of these on my mac, and would like the benefit of being able to hear them blended on a Cowon. I currently own a 160GB iPod classic. I think it's disappointing that it doesn't support audio crossfade.

Fourthly, do all Cowons have a manual EQ? I know some say that you shouldn't need EQ, but I think I'd sometimes like to tailor some songs to my ear.

Also, I wondered if someone could put me onto a website that has good reviews of proper audiophile headphones, or at least suggestions. I found a blog, but it pretty much just has pictures and no info/prices.

And, what are these little miniature amps you guys must carry around in your pockets? Kind of like a mini version of an amp you might use in a big stereo system? And who sells them on the web? Are there some good brands?

I can see one potential problem too. When I import music to a mac...(which I will have to start doing from scratch when I return home, as mine is all MP3) it will end up in ALAC. I know Cowons play a variety of different formats, and I gather FLAC is the most desirable, but will it play ALAC? How could I get FLAC onto a Cowon using a mac?

I'm so sorry you guys...so, so may questions. I thought I'd better ask them now though, so I can have a better heads up for when I get to Indonesia, and then I can make the right choice

Thank you all so much in advance...
Happy Listening
Gary
Gizchops is offline View Gizchops's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2012, 13:37   #2
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

about compatability, cowon suggested i never sync, nor drag and drop.
they say to only ever copy then paste.

since then there is the .29 firmware which vaugly reffers to a mac compatability fix, and there are hidden file removers such as blueharvest, which i always use on the mac just in case.

for headphones:
try the website headfi

for portable amps:
im looking into the jdlabs products as they have a great reputation and the prices are good, although there are a great many choices from other brands and users, both factory and enthusiast produced, of the former the fiio amps seem popular.
again headfi should be a valuable source of info regarding that.

the eq:
yeah the chip that outputs and decodes the sound has a built in 5 band eq (band frequency also adjustable), it's very basic but it provides some adjustment.
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:19   #3
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

Here's a link to the headphone section of the Anythingbutipod.com forums: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

You can get good help there as well. Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14   #4
Gizchops

Cheers for your help guys! Sorry for the delayed reply...I have a feeling the iAudiophile website was blocked in Singapore!? Now I'm back in Malaysia though, it is working again.

One thing I wanted to know also is if Cowon's support audio crossfade?

Thanks in advance and I'll check out the links

Gary.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08   #5
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

No. No crossfade, only gapless. At least j3.
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%
Adoby is offline View Adoby's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56   #6
Gizchops

O, Ok, cheers Adoby I guess I'll have to find a different way to go about this then...like learning how to mix music! Perhaps a development for the future, for Cowon. I think they'd do well to incorporate a feature like this.

Tags
apple, cowon, crossfade, mac