iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon Z2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 18:09   #1
rikc

Default Z2 vs. J3?

Cracked the screen on my J3 after two years of faithful service Saw the Z2 and it looks neat, so I'm considering upgrading.

All of the reviews I see for the Z2 tend to compare it to ipods and their UI, but I'm curious how the Android interface feels to longtime Cowon owners. The J3 is my favorite MP3 player I've owned and I've gotten used to the interface and the side buttons (which I love). So a few specific questions:

- How does the Android UI compare to the J3 UI? (I didn't use any custom mods on my J3)

- How are the side buttons? I use them an awful lot on my J3, is it still pretty easy to navigate "blind?" Does that play/pause button make things more difficult?

Thanks for any advice!
rikc is offline View rikc's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2012, 18:53   #2
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

I ACTUALLY, would advise against z2... th screen, the battery, are worse... and z2 is a powerfull android device, not an music player...
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:14   #3
rikc

Dang, that's a shame to hear. Does is have poorer sound or something? Maybe I should consider the new iaudio? I worry that it'll be a pain to use after getting used to the J3's touchscreen, though.
rikc is offline View rikc's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:45   #4
snakebite2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikc View Post
Dang, that's a shame to hear. Does is have poorer sound or something? Maybe I should consider the new iaudio? I worry that it'll be a pain to use after getting used to the J3's touchscreen, though.
The Z2 is good player. The cons are like what he said but it's not like worst.
The Z2 screen color isn't as good like the J3. I don't know if you'll notice is unless you compare it side by side. The Z2 playback for audio is about 22hrs and 8hrs for video. The Z2's hardware is faster than the J3. If you charge the Z2 once or every 2days it wouldn't be a problem. The music player is missing a playlist, favorites list and gapless playback. The buttons has some delay[1sec]. Also there's slight pause when you change a Jeteffect. The Z2 also sometimes restarts at random but it kinda rare. That could improve in future firmware. If you need a player just for music, stay with the J3. But if you want a player that sounds great and does a little more go with the Z2. There are music apps that has the missing stock player's functions.

Last edited by snakebite2; 05-02-2012 at 20:49..
snakebite2 is offline View snakebite2's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12   #5
Milic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupu_de_balta View Post
I ACTUALLY, would advise against z2... th screen, the battery, are worse... and z2 is a powerfull android device, not an music player...
Do you own Z2? I do and what you say is just a quick answer with no real arguments ... I already own a J3, which is great player and a Z2 ... if you are looking at improving it on some aspects: faster file tranfer through USB (+WIFI), a much better video player, while still retaining a very good music player, extended microSD card compatibility then the Z2 is for you.
Bonus : microsd slot is WAAAAY better than J3, it is now easy to extract the card by a simple push, no paper clip is needed!

It is still not perfect: for instance TAGS on FLAC files are not handled properly (probably the worst default) but no current default would justify against Z2 if you have found pros that you like on Z2. Screen is not "worse", different (I have read something about technology used) and still AMOLED and Gorilla glass ...

I would get Z2 for music and video playing first, the rest should be considered a bonus (like apps and so on)
Last but not least, Z2 is cheaper than J3 when it came out .... so

Last edited by Milic; 05-12-2012 at 09:25..
Milic is offline View Milic's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 15:20   #6
wildcard30

I have to agree with Milic I have owned a J3 for a little over a year now and have had my Z2 for a couple of days now. The Z2 sounds just as good as the J3 and the screen is not as bad as some people are trying to make out. Once they iron out some of the UI issues it will be even better. If you get one I would recommend rooting it and installing the app store and a different launcher there is a great guide stickied here in the forums.
wildcard30 is offline View wildcard30's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 16:35   #7
Pradz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milic View Post
Do you own Z2? I do and what you say is just a quick answer with no real arguments ... I already own a J3, which is great player and a Z2 ... if you are looking at improving it on some aspects: faster file tranfer through USB (+WIFI), a much better video player, while still retaining a very good music player, extended microSD card compatibility then the Z2 is for you.
Bonus : microsd slot is WAAAAY better than J3, it is now easy to extract the card by a simple push, no paper clip is needed!

It is still not perfect: for instance TAGS on FLAC files are not handled properly (probably the worst default) but no current default would justify against Z2 if you have found pros that you like on Z2. Screen is not "worse", different (I have read something about technology used) and still AMOLED and Gorilla glass ...

I would get Z2 for music and video playing first, the rest should be considered a bonus (like apps and so on)
Last but not least, Z2 is cheaper than J3 when it came out .... so
Cowon has put me in a spot....Wanted to buy a J3 before the news of its discontinuation made me reconsider the decision...Z2 has now come out with MIXED reviews....

My inclination is still towards a J3 (robust, proven technology) rather than a Z2 (a Work-in-progress)...but the fear of unavailability of after-sale service is proving to be a deal breaker for me...

HELP!
Pradz is offline View Pradz's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 18:31   #8
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Interesting. According to Kizune, the Z2 is better for vids (wider variety of codecs supported), but that the music app functions work more seamlessly on the J3 (lag on the Z2 for functions such as Eq adjustments, which would be annoying as hell).

I bought a J3 a month ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. Mine was manufactured in Feb of this year.
mutescream is offline View mutescream's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 21:28   #9
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

just got my phone hooked up to my homegroup for streaming, now looking at my j3 with a lil contempt, j3 sound vs vastly underpowered mobile srs is no contest but lord I wish my j3 could stream like that.

As for the codec support, i convert all vids for the sake of optimisation anyways and its so simple now that extra codecs are not really an advantage in my eyes, i'd rather know my vids will always work than get annoyed at the rare few that dont.

And 1/3 the battery life, its a no go, couldn't live with that :[

Last edited by Enzyme; 05-22-2012 at 21:37..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 14:36   #10
Pradz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutescream View Post
Interesting. According to Kizune, the Z2 is better for vids (wider variety of codecs supported), but that the music app functions work more seamlessly on the J3 (lag on the Z2 for functions such as Eq adjustments, which would be annoying as hell).

I bought a J3 a month ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. Mine was manufactured in Feb of this year.
Thank u for replying...I can live with no apps and less numbers of codecs supported...What scares the hell out of me is lack of after-sales...I don't want to be stuck with a J3 with me having to scour the earth to find replacements and stuff...

Yours is a fairly new J3...where r u placed on this.... am i being paranoid here...
Pradz is offline View Pradz's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 16:29   #11
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradz View Post
Thank u for replying...I can live with no apps and less numbers of codecs supported...What scares the hell out of me is lack of after-sales...I don't want to be stuck with a J3 with me having to scour the earth to find replacements and stuff...

Yours is a fairly new J3...where r u placed on this.... am i being paranoid here...
I am of the belief that the only thing I'm really worried about replacing is the battery (which should last me about 2-3 years)... Something that I'm reasonably sure that I've located a drop in replacement for already. I did make sure to track down a Ringke case in the color I want, as they have stopped manufacturing them (and they have by far the best silicone case for the J3), and get a couple screen protectors.

I'm pretty confident that everything else should last well into when I would be considering an upgrade (much as my Meizu M6 did, and I recently gave to my wife).

I am going to make sure to pick up an extra USB cable and a video out (or two)... Other than that, not too worried, I pretty effectively baby my PMP's. I guess it all boils down to how gentle/rough you are with your player, on whether or not you should worry.
mutescream is offline View mutescream's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:13   #12
champion

Hi, guys can I check if Z2 and J3 is using the same USB connector?
champion is offline View champion's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08   #13
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

from what i know, no, they do not use the same cable... anyway... z2, is better in many aspects, but it is not the best music player, as the battery goes for the worst.... you need lots of battery, if you need it for music... for example, i am using my j3, and after 2 weeks of daily usage, and a pause of another 2 weeks, it is still at 25%, and still singing...
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 13:32   #14
ApocalypticDoom
Call me 'Doom'

You can always compare these two on Kizune's thread which is very informative. Or wait for the succesor of the J3 which was announced here http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpo...62&postcount=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotpete View Post
I rang Haldex, the Australian distributor for Cowon, and spoke directly to the guy who deals with Cowon International. He said that they (Haldex) will be continuing to support the J3 in terms of repairs etc, and that he was confident that Cowon was going to continue producing parts for it. He also said that he has been told by Cowon that they are going to release a replacement model for the J3 in October (he said, knowing Cowon, expect it next February in Australia.) Cowon has told him that the reason for the gap between discontinuing the J3 and announcing its replacement was because, when they released the J3, Cowon was left with large numbers of the S9 in its warehouse, which are still sitting there unsaleable. Apparently they are making sure that this doesn't happen with the J3.
ApocalypticDoom is offline View ApocalypticDoom's Photo Album   Reply With Quote