iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon J3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2012, 14:03   #1
HOBBER

Default How to work with a 32GB micro SD Card

Hi,

Been having a good time with my player and have just purchased a 32GB micro card.

Have searched forum but cannot find answers that I need !!

How can I access music on the card ??

I created a directory on the card called "music" and put on an album. The only way I seem to be able to see it is thorugh "browser" then "J3 Ext" and then to the "music" Folder.

Is this the only way to view and play the files ???
Do the music files on the player and the card always remain separate ???
If so, I will need to browse either the player or the card if I want to look for something specific !!!

Do not seem to be able to see the SD card music file through the music icon on the player !

Any ideas if I am doing something wrong !!!!

Thanks for the support

Hobber
HOBBER is offline View HOBBER's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2012, 15:11   #2
checkmate134

The J3 actually integrates the micro SD card into its library quite well. You just can't be in folder browsing, obviously. Otherwise the files on the internal and external memory should be together in the same location. You should probably check to make sure you didn't miss something (eg. browse "Artists" and check if the artists on your micro SD are there). If that doesn't work, try reloading the database either by finding the option in the settings menu, shutting off then turning the J3 back on, or I think reinserting the micro SD card works too.
checkmate134 is offline View checkmate134's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 05-01-2012, 15:29   #3
HOBBER

Hey Checkmate,

Thanks for your reply !!

You are correct, well partly !!! I did a search looking for the name of the album on the SD card, couldn't find it ! Then looked for one of the artists I knew I did not have on the player, only on the SD card card and......viola, they were there !!

It seems that the album on the card has some serious tagging issues, it was from a mates drive and the album name when browsing it on the card and the actual tag name is different !!!

So I think that the issue is solved for the time being.

Thanks for your help Checkmate !!

Ciao for now

Hobber
HOBBER is offline View HOBBER's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:32   #4
DSperber
Very Senior Member

There are two ways to browse your music collection: (a) physically, meaning navigating downward like Windows Explorer from your PC when the J3 is connected, and (b) logically, meaning using the internal tags inside of your music files.

The two methods are very different in terms of how you do it and what you see.

When you browse physically, you are specifically opting to navigate through either internal or external storage, and then down from there through the physical folder/sub-folder structure of your music collection, however you've physically constructed your collection.

When you browse logically, you are not looking at the external folder/file names. You are instead looking at the internal tag field values inside your music files (which, presumably, all do or should have valid ID3/FLAC tags in them... in order that this logical tags database browsing can be performed). Logical browsing via tags is completely independent of whether the music files are on internal or external storage. The tags database is built by the J3 at boot time from ALL music from BOTH internal and external storage. You don't need to know or care where the music files are physically located in order to see them in a list and to choose them for play. That's the beauty of this logical browsing over physical browsing (where you need to know where things are).

(1) Physical browsing is started from the browser button on the main desktop menu, and then you choose Library -> [Folders].

From there you navigate downward to select either [J3] for internal storage or [J3 Ext] for external storage. Then you continue on down further through whatever folder and sub-folder structure you have on internal or external storage, etc., etc., exactly as if you were browsing your J3 using Windows Explorer.

In this physical browsing mode everything you see is the EXTERNAL name (both folders and files), including extension for files. Everything you see is absolutely guaranteed to be in ascending alphabetical sequence by the external folder/file name.

Cannot be anything but purely alphabetical sequence. Cannot see duplicates of anything, because you're looking at the actual physical folder/file contents of internal or external storage, exactly the same as with Windows Explorer. Since there cannot be physical duplicates of folders or files inside of a folder, it's impossible to have a "duplicate" problem.

(2) Logical browsing starts the same way, by pushing the browser button on the main desktop menu. But from there you navigate downward through the "tags database" which the J3 builds at each power-on boot time, derived by examining every one of your music files on both internal and external storage.

The "tags database" has five main sort keys: artist, album, song title, genre, and year, which of course are the primary internal tag fields in each music file. So you can logically browse through the tags database using any of these five primary sort keys: Library -> [Artists] or [Albums] or [Songs] or [Genres] or [Years].

These tag field values are internal, in the tags in each music file (assuming you've stored the correct values in those tag fields of each music file, as you should) have nothing at all to do with the external folder/file names that you've constructed your physical music collection with, although if your physical collection is organized by \Music\Artist\Album then there will be no confusion when switching between physical browsing and logical browsing. It will look similar as you navigate using either approach.

But if your physical music collection has a totally different physical folder structure than \Artist\Album, then a certain amount of ambiguity and confusion about what you're looking at is inevitable. Certainly keeping your internal artist, album and song title tag field values identical to your external folder/file names will go a long way to minimizing or eliminating any such confusion.

Anyway, when logically browsing you are again NOT looking at external folder/file names (which could be artist folders and album folders and song title names). You are looking at the internal tag field values for those same items. So what appears to be an "album folder" is not a physical album folder, but rather the collection of all music files whose "album" tag field value is identical.

And since there is one tags database item for each music file, if you have the same music file duplicated into multiple folders then it will appear multiple times in the tags database, and thus it will appear to have two "song title" items in that one "album folder". But that's because the duplicate music files both have the identical "album" tag field value and thus will be considered tracks in the one "logical album folder", and will be presented twice because you really do have two music files in that "logical album folder"... although they actually appear to have the identical "song title".

Now logical browsing using the five primary sort keys of the tags database covers both internal and external storage combined, which of course is a huge advantage so that you don't need to know or care where you've placed your music files. But you do need to understand your own music file organization, and duplicating files in multiple different folders really is a no-no else you will see these kinds of duplicate entry anomalies.

Finally, when logically browsing and looking into a "logical album folder" (which again is not a physical folder but rather simply the collection of all music files anywhere which have the identical "album" tag field value), the J3 presents the tracks within that logical album folder IN TRACK NUMBER SEQUENCE, based on the "track number" tag field value.

A logical album folder is NOT displayed alphabetically, neither by external file name nor by internal "song title" tag field value. A logical album folder is displayed IN TRACK NUMBER SEQUENCE, to mimic the track sequence of the original CD itself. The J3 expects that just as with the five primary tag field values which are assumed to have valid values, the "track number" tag field value is also assumed to be a valid number (or n/m, etc.).

Only physical browsing presents everything alphabetically, no matter what you're looking at and no matter what navigation level you're at. Logical album folder-level browsing displays in track number sequence, but anything above that will be alphabetical (but using the internal tag field values, not the external folder/file names).

Last edited by DSperber; 05-01-2012 at 17:36..
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:54   #5
Wonga-Taa
King of Jungle

Nice informative description DSperber! I linked it in the sticky J3 FAQ thread (I know i could have used an explanation like that when i first got my J3).
Wonga-Taa is offline View Wonga-Taa's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 05-01-2012, 21:47   #6
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

From the thread that Dsperber posted that verbatim (on another forum) several days ago, the problem was something that was not mentioned here.

For the sake of people coming into this thread, I'm adding what was the solution to the issue in that thread (yes, I see the OP's issue was resolved): folder/file name too long for the file system. Apparently the Cowon file system is not as generous in how many characters it allows in folder/file names as windows is.
mutescream is offline View mutescream's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 22:43   #7
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

surely it's the folder name then as my j3 handles the following file ok:

The orb - A huge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld (loving you) [john peel session 03.12.89].mp3

i cant imagine many tracks having a longer title
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03   #8
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Enzyme, what OS was that file created under? That is a big key in determining backward comparability with 8.3 and LFN's. It also depends on exactly what the rules are in the OS the J3 uses, for its own file system.

I was just going by what the op in this thread said solved their problem.
Old 05-02-2012, 13:01   #9
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

im on win7 x64 atm using ntfs on the hard disks, i dont believe it suffers with the 8.3 thing....i need to load the song again to double check through the player to make sure, as im having doubts as to if it was under that name.
i dont have many of the peel session tracks and an orb song was one of the ones i remember seeing in use on the player, i have about 20 versions of that orb song and it's possible i renamed it since it was last on the j3, i'll update shortly and let you know.

the longest titled one i have loaded and can confirm plays ok atm is:

The Orb - A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld Aubrey Mix MK 11.flac

i know the mac's cannot handle titles of that length, in fact the macs seem to have a very small limit on the filenames that i'm sure i never suffered with on 98\xp while back on fat32, but that was a long time ago.
do macs use fat?

ok i just grabbed my cable and checked, the peel session loads and plays just fine (both on the sdcard and the j3 internal).
it also has the tag to match the filename so it's not a tag issue either.
(lols@ it taking 12 seconds to scroll the track name)

perhaps i could supply a link so you can test the file yourself, although i dont know how you'd get it on the player if your having issues.

Last edited by Enzyme; 05-02-2012 at 13:23..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 14:04   #10
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Hm. Now I'm starting to wonder if the filename in question had special characters in it.