iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon J3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2012, 13:59   #1
Lilburrito

Help Planning to buy the J3 soon.....

So I just wanted to clarify a few things first.

1. By 32GB/16GB do they mean internal storage? Or does it come with a MicroSD with a certain amount of space inside depending on the one you buy?

2. For those of you who have it, is the Reath Ringke case and screen protector any good?

3. I've gone through a bit of the reviews on Amazon and have seen some stating that their J3's had bricked not shortly after receiving it , is this a common problem or were they just really unfortunate?

4. From the get-go I'm planning on installing the Cheetah XT UI on the J3, are there any "bad side effects" to doing this?

5. Would it still be alright to update the J3 with the official firmware if I have a UI like the Cheetah XT installed?

Sorry about asking so much -,-
Lilburrito is offline View Lilburrito's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-29-2012, 15:33   #2
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

1. thats internal storage, it can be expanded using sd cards if required but in no way depends on them.

2. i didnt like the way it was built, pressing the sides raises the front by almost 1cm (badly fitted), also theres reports of the case cracking over time, i prefer the cheaper but more functional silicone cases.
as for screen protectors i use the cowon ones, i had a couple of cowon ones free with the device, they were not good, i then experimented with some other brands but ended up purchasing a few cowon official ones at a later date and they were much better, as good as the very expensive ones but without the anti fingerprint\grease mark stuff, thats all you should pay extra for if needed.

3. there were a lot of those reports last year, mainly mac related.ive never had a problem, even with a mac, but then i chose to email cowon and ask how to avoid the issue before i started using it on the mac and also took some other precautions.
besides that there is a tool available to un-brick the device and reports of bricking seem less this year, i dont think its a major concern.

4. no, kizunes uci's are without doubt the best available (including cowons default ones).
they are well designed and built, you wont have any problems.

5. yes, the uci's and firmwares work independantly, there are no real issues there.

6. dont be silly, we like to help :p

Last edited by Enzyme; 04-29-2012 at 15:37..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 04-29-2012, 18:44   #3
frenchie

I bought the rearth ringke case and screen protector and i really like it! With the clear film the screen is less prone to smudges! My case fits like a glove. Just massage it into place or heat up the case with a blow-dryer and it just that easier to put on and have a good fit.
frenchie is offline View frenchie's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 04-29-2012, 19:22   #4
Enzyme

Quote:
Just massage it into place or heat up the case with a blow-dryer and it just that easier to put on and have a good fit.
ahh, mine just slipped in very easily, like a slipper, there was no forcing or manipulating involved.
i probably got a dodgy one or theyve updated the design, i did complain to them about the poor fit and got offered a replacement.
it might also be that i was using it during the summer, the heat here can get a bit much and may have kept it expanded somewhat, although heat usualy shrinks plastics.
i had similar issues with the cowon jelly (not jelly) skin.

Last edited by Enzyme; 04-29-2012 at 19:27..
Old 04-29-2012, 20:45   #5
frenchie

I can post a pic of mine if you would like to see. I think its a really good investment. And with the money i dished out for my J3 ill do anything to keep it in perfect pristine health and looks!

Last edited by frenchie; 04-29-2012 at 20:59..
Old 04-29-2012, 20:46   #6
Lilburrito

Thank you for the responses! I've decided to go with 32GB J3 along with the Rearth Ringke black case and the "Realook" screen protector. But I have 2 more questions.

1. How is the playlist feature with the J3?

2. I've read somewhere that there's some sort of tagging problem that could interfere with the placement of your music. Is there some way to bypass it?
Lilburrito is offline View Lilburrito's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 20:49   #7
frenchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzyme View Post
ahh, mine just slipped in very easily, like a slipper, there was no forcing or manipulating involved.
i probably got a dodgy one or theyve updated the design, i did complain to them about the poor fit and got offered a replacement.
it might also be that i was using it during the summer, the heat here can get a bit much and may have kept it expanded somewhat, although heat usualy shrinks plastics.
i had similar issues with the cowon jelly (not jelly) skin.
I dont think its plastic, its more of a rubber anyway no matter its a great case. i woulden't be taking it off everyday to abuse it because it would probably split in a corner in the long run but my buddy has one on his cowon and hes always fiddling with it and his case still looks new and his is about a year old now. So they last but hey nothing lasts forever these days!
Old 04-29-2012, 20:56   #8
frenchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilburrito View Post
Thank you for the responses! I've decided to go with 32GB J3 along with the Rearth Ringke black case and the "Realook" screen protector. But I have 2 more questions.

2. I've read somewhere that there's some sort of tagging problem that could interfere with the placement of your music. Is there some way to bypass it?
I have no problems but the playlist is dodgy so what i did is make folders for types of music i like... like my 1500 techno songs thats one folder.

Metallica - Master of puppets thats another album
Metallica - And justice for all thats another one

and so on and so forth so i play from the folders i want to listen to.

For you second question i dont really understand what you mean by tagging so im sure someone more qualified will understand and answer.

Ive had mine for a good week and a half now and i love my J3. You made the right descision. My case is also black and i love it!
Thanks from:
Old 04-29-2012, 21:10   #9
Enzyme

Quote:
playists are something of an issue, although workable.
there are issues importing playlists via third party apps but these have kinda been addressed by the users here and there are solutions, it just takes some forum searching.

the j3 cannot create standard playlist files, although it can use imported ones if they are created to suit the j3.

instead the j3 has a favourites list (which is all internal, you cannot export the list or use it outside of the j3 itself).
there is also the playlist feature in kizunes uci, which works much the same but includes a great deal of added features.

i only ever use the default list as a temporary list, and use kizunes uci to take that list and store it once i'm happy or the list gets full (theres a 250ish file limit), multiple lists are possible via kizunes uci.
the default is just one list.

Quote:
im not sure what issue you refer to, but with a little common sense you can sort the files quite logically using tags and folders in a number off different ways.
the j3 does not use every bit of tag data that could be used, but it has the following ways to list the music:

genres
year
artists
albums
songs (list of all)
new music (recently added)
playlists (imported)
folders (pc style folder tree)

theres always a way to organise your files to suit your personal use, that is worth planning in advance, taking adavantage of any of the tags you dont use.
i dont use years, but i use the year tag to store an alternate genre (it doesnt need to be numerics), this works as a kind of master playlist in which related styles from different genre's can be grouped together, such as 70's funk, disco, funky house etc.

again theres loads of info regarding that here.

Last edited by Enzyme; 04-29-2012 at 21:33..
Thanks from:

Tags
j3 help noob questions ui