3ds 0
mpe ON
se OFF
reverb OFF
gr-e is offline View gr-e's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2012, 05:01   #317
Bjorn

What are the best settings to use with AKG Q460 headphone???

Thanks
Bjorn is offline View Bjorn's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39   #318
Bjorn

What are the best settings to use with Audio Technica ESW9 headphone???
I can't believe that anyone have some personal settings for this awesome headphone !

Thanks
Bjorn is offline View Bjorn's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 15:40   #319
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I was surprised to find that with my new SRH940 headphones that what I thought was just fine with my old Sony CD950 headphones was now quite unacceptable with the new much superior SRH940.

In particular, MDWright1032 is simply much too "bright" and "loud", and as originally quoted is not very good sounding with the SRH940.

So... that said... I've "toned down" MDWright1032 significantly and would like to submit "version 2" for consideration. In particular it now seems to have the same "loudness" level as AzureIIDX. In fact other than the significant differences in the EQ frequency bands, it kind of sounds like AzureIIDX but "more alive" and with "presence", probably because 3D and stereo enhance are active instead of OFF.

But it is now no longer harsh and overly bright. Sounds pretty good to me and my SRH940's.

Frequencies:
---------------
80hz - wide - 3
220hz - normal - 1
1.4Khz - narrow - 1
3Khz - normal - 3
11.7khz - wide - 2

BBE+:
---------
BBE - 8
Mach3Bass - 4
3D Surround - 2
MP Enhance - OFF

SE:
--------
Stereo enhance - 2
Reverb - OFF
After two more months of EQ adjustment and many many hours of listening, it's time to submit yet another "version 3.0" for the SRH940 headphones (music all FLAC, volume set at 36-40).

This is much flatter and more neutral and precise, matching the wonderfully "accurate" sound of the SRH940. Beautiful treble, warm midrange, and non-resonant bass.

================================================

EQ:
---------------------
WIDE 135HZ: 3
NORMAL 385: 0
NORMAL 650HZ: 1
NORMAL 2.4KHZ: 2
WIDE 13KHZ: 3

BBE+:
-----------------------
BBE: 8
MACH3BASS: 3
3D SURROUND: OFF
MP ENHANCE: OFF

SE:
--------------------------
STEREO ENHANCE: OFF
REVERB: OFF

========================================
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12   #320
mudfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by azureIIDX View Post
azureIIDX: I'm really coloured impressed by the newest EQ I've done! It even beats NO EQ when I use the in-built speakers for the Cowon J3!

I'm sick of EQs here that rumble like heck and muddle up everything. I can't hear the strum of the guitar, the tap of the triangles and pianos, the pluck of the bass and that rough, coarse, breathy sound that resonates from the vocals! I'm all about detail and the impact, not the bass or treble or crap of the song and the joy of listening to the quality of music and the music itself of course!

I'm surprised Cowon hadn't had this yet as an EQ!

So here ya go! MY FINAL EQ settings! Thanks to those who've helped me with their suggestions back at Head-fi (back at 2010) and here!

[EQ-NRG]:
NORMAL 135 HZ > 2
NORMAL 385 HZ > 3
NORMAL 650 HZ > 1
NORMAL 2.4KHZ > 3
NORMAL 13 KHZ > 4

Note that I never go past 4 because it only adds noise or distortion to the sound (unless you can't notice it) and that I don't tweak with any of that NORMAL, NARROW OR WIDE stuff. To me, it only makes that frequency and the instruments affected by it sound weak or cheaply done.

And ADDITIONAL settings:
Pitch Correction (found in Settings - Music): OFF
It sounds cheap and reduces the impact and quality of the instruments.
BBE: THE MAXIMUM SHOULD BE 8. Any more, and it'll sound cheap.

Mach3Bass: 3. THAT'S IT. Or the bass will reduce the quality of music.

MP Enhance: YES BUT NO will add more detail. The reason it's ON is cause it strengthens the impact of the instruments and sound. UNLESS you were listening to the in-built speakers AND OR FLAC's, go ahead and turn it off.

Stereo Enhance: 0 = NO.
Sounds cheap and adds white noise/that air sound when you turn it on. Plus instruments start blending in to each other and feel displaced.

3D SURROUND: NO.
Why would you need this? That's what the EQing's for. Same reason as above.

Reverb: 0
Unless you like that stuff. Meh.

I listen to (variable bitrate mp3s from 192- 318KBPS) to 320KBPS MP3's and FLACs and I can tell when a song/music has bad sound engineering. I am VERY picky and sensitive to this crap and I SHOULD BE cause I'm producing my own animation and short films.

The music genres I listen to would be: Electro, Post-Rock, Alt. Rock, Classic, Pop, Indie, R&B, Chiptune PLUS video game/film/cartoon/stock BGMS and scores. Go ahead and ask me why.

Sorry for the troll-like sensibilities while describing my EQ (I guess)!

And please give it a shot. I betcha it'll be good! And don't forget to give your opinions about it! I need to see if this/I could get any better! Oddly though, I feel like this uses more battery and releases more power than the other EQs I've done (which is kinda cool IMO).
Just got my J3 a few days ago with a pair of SL99 headphones. Also using a pair of sennheiser cx 680i when at the gym. This EQ setting seams to work well so far for me. Mostly listen to Rap, R&B, Alternative, some Reggae & Jazz.
I'm pretty sure things will change. But it's a good starting point.
Thanks for posting it.
mudfoot is offline View mudfoot's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 16:30   #321
darkonyx
Trancemaster Onyx

Send a message via MSN to darkonyx Send a message via Skype™ to darkonyx

I got my S9 with the following settings:

With my Sony MDR-ED12LP and Koss PortaPro (daily listening):

80Hz +9 Wide
220Hz +2 Normal
650Hz +0 Normal
2.4KHz +0 Normal
11.7kHz +5 Wide

BBE 7
M3B 8
3D sound 2
MP Enhance On
STE 2

With my Sony MDR-XB700:

80Hz +6 Wide
220Hz -2 Normal
650Hz -4 Normal
2.4KHz -4 Normal
11.7kHz 0 Wide

BBE 7
M3B 8
3D sound 2
MP Enhance On
STE 2

I mostly listen to either Neo-Classical Death/Power/Melodic Metal, (Hard-)/Uplifting Trance or Post-Rock/Ambient and I love Bass and detailed Soundscapes!! <3

By the way, any tip/comments on my equalizations? ^_^

//Trancemaster Onyx

UCIs I use:
1. "First" J3 UCI
2. Aero FTX Lite
3. D.Touch

Other Customizations:
*Claus Browser/Launcher/Video Player
*J3's Picture Browser/Recorder/Radio
*Dark eVolution's Music

Last edited by darkonyx; 03-14-2012 at 16:33..
darkonyx is offline View darkonyx's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59   #322
Raziel

What are the best Jet Effect settings if I put my IAudio S9 in aux? My stereo? So now head phones, just a Kenwood receiver...
Raziel is offline View Raziel's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:16   #323
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
What are the best Jet Effect settings if I put my IAudio S9 in aux? My stereo? So now head phones, just a Kenwood receiver...
Personally I would do the same thing I do when playing the J3 in my car. I put the J3 in "normal" (aka FLAT) mode, and use the car's audio EQ/tone controls to adjust car audio sound to my liking. You almost certainly don't want to use the same BBE/EQ setup you use for headphones, when listening through a different output sound system with its own characteristics.

I also have the volume of the J3 set at max (40) or very close to it, so that the J3 is essentially being used as a "line-level pre-amp" feeding the AUX input of the car (or L/R stereo input to your home sound system, if you have a proper 3.5mm stereo-to-RCA cable). Then use the car/home sound system volume control down or up accordingly, to get the listening level right.

But running the J3 close to max volume will provide the best possible "pre-amp" input signal quality to the amp in your car/home sound system.

And starting from "normal" (aka FLAT) on the J3 will let you then decide if your car/home EQ/tone controls can give you what you are looking for, or if you need to add in some further J3 BBE/EQ tone control. Be careful though... as the J3's BBE/EQ is very "potent" and leaving it at "normal" while using the external EQ/tone control approach may give you much more precision and satisfaction.
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33   #324
heyumf

80Hz +8 Wide
500Hz -6 Wide
780Hz -3 Wide
4.1KHz +3 Wide
13kHz +8 Wide

BBE 6
M3B 6
3D sound 2
MP Enhance On

Stereo Enhance 6
heyumf is offline View heyumf's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46   #325
Raziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Personally I would do the same thing I do when playing the J3 in my car. I put the J3 in "normal" (aka FLAT) mode, and use the car's audio EQ/tone controls to adjust car audio sound to my liking. You almost certainly don't want to use the same BBE/EQ setup you use for headphones, when listening through a different output sound system with its own characteristics.

I also have the volume of the J3 set at max (40) or very close to it, so that the J3 is essentially being used as a "line-level pre-amp" feeding the AUX input of the car (or L/R stereo input to your home sound system, if you have a proper 3.5mm stereo-to-RCA cable). Then use the car/home sound system volume control down or up accordingly, to get the listening level right.

But running the J3 close to max volume will provide the best possible "pre-amp" input signal quality to the amp in your car/home sound system.

And starting from "normal" (aka FLAT) on the J3 will let you then decide if your car/home EQ/tone controls can give you what you are looking for, or if you need to add in some further J3 BBE/EQ tone control. Be careful though... as the J3's BBE/EQ is very "potent" and leaving it at "normal" while using the external EQ/tone control approach may give you much more precision and satisfaction.
Tnx mate. I'll check it out.
Raziel is offline View Raziel's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02   #326
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

ok heres my latest beyerdynamic dt880 (32ohm) (unamped) settings for the j3.
>< yes another one.

trying to get some volume and body without distortion or vo5.
seems very balanced, clear and natural so far and works well with almost every genre i've thrown at it.

although i'd rather avoid the +2 eq and +8 bbe its less of an issue with the other effects balanced well.

105 wide +1
220 wide +2
1.1 norm +2
4.1 wide +1
9 norm =1

bbe= 8
mach= 5
3d= 5
mpe= off
stereo enhance= off
reverb= off

why i chose these settings:

eq +2's:
any positive eq introduces artificial and badly balanced sound.
the reason i use it here is due to my headphones being a lil difficult to drive and quiet, perhaps lower all numbers equally by one or two for easier to drive phones.

stereo enhance:
although having a nice wide soundstage effect (1-3 is all that is needed), it destroys positioning even at low levels and causes imbalance (especially some nasty spikes noticable in the high's) so it's now disabled.

mpe:
causes extremely artificial sound and has a nasty issue with spikes in the upper mids and highs. disabled.

bbe 8:
although not ideal at 8, certain songs sound better with less\more, it can cause imbalance in tone at anything over 5.
8 works ok here due to the other effect restrictions and provides a lil volume boost for these phones, for a more natural sound on good recordings use 5 as max.

machbass:
5 is the sweet spot, machbass also adjusts mids and even lower highs, very badly utilized imo, if you want rumble induced earache use 7 as max.
(if using 7 beware badly recorded bass heavy tracks as they can destroy your phones, nearly sent mine up in smoke the other night)

3d surround:
again 5 is the sweet spot, 7 also sounds good but there is loss in positioning and some artificial sound coming through, for some reason equal numbers sound bad, i wont use anything now other than 3,5 or 7.
5 offers proper positioning while still creating a nice sound envelope.

overall,
most of these extra effects might be wonderfull on there own, but used together they can battle with each other and really screw up the sound.
use any with caution and be aware that they are the main cause in high end spikes, blurred bass, and artificial\distorted sound.

dt880 specific:
the dt has generally well balanced sound with the exception of a peak in frequencies at around 9.5hz followed by a severe dip at around 11-15hz, this is impossible to remove properly without the use of a parametric eq, the j3's graphic eq simply does not provide enough accuracy to correct this and so there is a struggle there to provide smooth sound at that level, although the above settings provide a good attempt at resolving the issue.

maybe cowon will make use of something like a dual (mono) wm9081 chip in the future, this chip includes a parametric eq and would allow a vastly superior level of control.

Last edited by Enzyme; 03-29-2012 at 12:13..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:58   #327
rockphantom

Send a message via ICQ to rockphantom Send a message via AIM to rockphantom Send a message via MSN to rockphantom Send a message via Yahoo to rockphantom

Howdy,

I've had my Cowon S9 for 3 years and have been using these settings originally posted by taha12478 in May of 2009. I listen to classic hard rock/metal FLAC files exclusively and believe these settings are a great fit for this type of music.

My headphones are the Phonak PFE 112s. http://www.audeoworld.com/en/US/Prod...AudeoPFE11.htm

Can anyone recommend a better setting for 80s hard rock/metal? I figure after 3 years, a better setting may be out there.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27797

5 80hz normal
3 220hz wide
3 780 hz wide
9 3 khz wide
10 9 khz wide

bbe 10
mach3bass 7
3d surround 2
mp on
st 3

Thank You,

Milan

Last edited by rockphantom; 04-11-2012 at 12:15.. Reason: Improper formatting.
rockphantom is offline View rockphantom's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58   #328
EDD!E

EQ-
80 Hz Normal: +6 dB
220 Hz Wide: +3 dB
1.4 kHz Wide: +5 dB (You can try +4 dB if it's to your preference)
3.0 kHz Wide: +5 dB
11.7 kHz Wide: +9 dB

BBE+-
BBE: 5
Mach3Bass: 4
3D Surround: 1
MP Enhance: On (Also your choice to keep it on or off. I like the occasional noticeable improvements it makes and it never ruins the sound really...)

SE-
Stereo Enhance: 3 (Your choice to keep it 1 through 4)
Reverb: Off

Tested with old skool westlife vbr & 128kbps MP3.

Earphone :- Picture below.
EDD!E is offline View EDD!E's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27   #329
BrandonStarr

Default Dubstep/Electronic

I noticed there were very few EQ suggestions for dubstep, so I decided to make one myself... I think it sounds pretty good and happens to work well with both MP3 and FLAC.

I have a pair of Sony MX series earbuds and I've found that this setting really does well with a lot of modern American dubstep and house like Deadmau5 and Skrillex. I find it a tad heavy on the bass end with slower, Europen dubstep like Mt. Eden. Anyway, here it is:

8/105Hz/Wide
4/300Hz/Wide
-1/1.1kHz/Normal
1/4.1kHz/Wide
4/11.7kHz/Wide

BBE:7
Mach3:8
3DSurround:2
MPE:On
Stereo Enhance:2
Reverb:0

For the European Dubstep, just turn Mach3 down to about 2 or 3 temporarily. Enjoy!

edit: Keep the volume low on this one! I found that 20 is even pretty loud... I've never tried this past 25.
BrandonStarr is offline View BrandonStarr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17   #330
Simonno10

I've just purchased these headphones:

http://www.thehouseofmarley.com.au/i...eadphones.html

Paired with an Cowen S9 so would appreciate some EQ settings as I'm not sure what will suit them. Thanks in advance.
Simonno10 is offline View Simonno10's Photo Album   Reply With Quote