iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon J3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2012, 21:09   #1
azwel

Default Going to buy either a 32gb or 64gb micro hdxc...

for my j3 32gb... but I will only get the 64gb card if someone can confirm that that it is possible to upload more than 8000 on the external card. I hear that it isnt possible..then I read the forum and see that some people were able to get like 10k. Is this true?
azwel is offline View azwel's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2012, 05:53   #2
mutescream
Voice in Your Head

Just as a thought, what I'm planning to do, is use the card to store all video on... And use it for overflow of music. I just checked my entire music collection, which is currently 58GB. and is ~4500 files (mixture of MP3, FLAC and OGG).
mutescream is offline View mutescream's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:46   #3
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwel View Post
for my j3 32gb... but I will only get the 64gb card if someone can confirm that that it is possible to upload more than 8000 on the external card. I hear that it isnt possible..then I read the forum and see that some people were able to get like 10k. Is this true?
I suspect that you can store as many files as you have room for on the card, but that the database functions of the J3 only handles 8000 of them for each internal and external memory. Most likely you will despite this be able to play all files with folder view. But not with artist, album or year view.

I am not able to test this since my music files will fill 64 GB long before I reach 8000 files.

I have only high bitrate 320 and -V0 mp3 files, along with flac files.

You might be able to cram in more than 8000 mp3 files on internal memory if you have a lot of small mp3 files. Then you can test it out yourself.
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%

Last edited by Adoby; 04-25-2012 at 06:51..
Adoby is offline View Adoby's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:41   #4
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
As others have commented, the 64GB capacity of the SDXC external card (still formatted as FAT32) only doubles the space/capacity but does not change anything designed into the firmware regarding file limits on internal and external storage.

So it's still 8000 music files and 4000 "other files" on internal storage, and the same limit on external storage (even the 64GB external storage). That's a total of 16,000 music files with no more than 8,000 each on internal and external.

I'm using a 64GB external card myself but my music collection (61GB) is only about 6700 files (1100 FLAC, 5600 -V0 -q0 -ms MP3), so I can't even test the 8000 limit on either storage class without phonying up some situation where I copy music to the J3 twice (under two different parent folder names).

But I'm not really interested in proving what I'm already sure is true... 8000 is the limit on each of internal and external storage for the "logical browse" method (i.e. the tags database) where this limit comes into play.

I suspect that has also been suggested, you can still probably store more than that number of files and then get to all of it using the "physical browse" method (i.e. Library -> [Folders], which is like Windows Explorer). But the tags database (e.g. for artists, albums, years, genres, and song titles) the firmware/database limits of 8000 on both internal and external apply.
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12   #5
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

One way of optimizing the use of internal and external memory is to store the smallest low bitrate files on the internal memory, and the bigger high bitrate and lossless files on the 64 GB card. That way you would make the best use of the card if you fear that the 8000 limit may come into play.
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34   #6
azwel

Hmm, maybe i'll just go for the 32gb. I bought the unit because people said i could just put ina 64gb card and get tons more files.. Oh well.

I keep forgetting to turn the unit off. There should always be some sort of light that indicates it is on....or maybe thats a part of their battery saving plan. I was set to go out right now.. now I have to charge it again
Old 04-25-2012, 12:33   #7
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
I keep forgetting to turn the unit off. There should always be some sort of light that indicates it is on....or maybe thats a part of their battery saving plan. I was set to go out right now.. now I have to charge it again
If it's not in use playing something, it will turn itself off automatically... assuming you haven't changed the settings to keep it on always.

Settings -> Display -> Auto display off, to control how long the screen stays on before going off.

Settings -> Time -> Timer -> Auto off, to control automatic power-off if the J3 is not in use playing something. This also has effect if you PAUSE playing (which is not considered "in use"). So only if you are actually playing something is this setting disabled.
Old 04-25-2012, 13:17   #8
azwel

my screen goes off when im not using it, but i guess thats ok, to save batteries..

As far as the auto off thing. i would use that.. but I always have it on a continuous run from one song to the next. If there was a way for it to stop after the album im listening is done, then that would be good. Rather than it going on to the next album.

I just got this thing, but the touch screen really annoys me. i try to press one thing and it goes to another. moving from one menu to another is also confusing. I was borrowing a friends old dell jukebox with actual buttons and had a much easier time with that. I dont even have big fingers...

is there an option to press power off and on(and not just 'sleep) from the standby button on the side?

my ideal player:
64 gb+ , hard buttons, folder browsing, long battery life.. Does any other player fit that descripton, or am i gonna get most of those things with the j3

Last edited by azwel; 04-25-2012 at 13:48..
Old 04-25-2012, 14:34   #9
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

Just play one album at a time. That is how I normally use my j3.

And I agree, the weakest point of the J3 is the user interface. There are some alternative UCIs you can try.

Last edited by Adoby; 04-25-2012 at 14:40..
Old 04-25-2012, 15:12   #10
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

actually, considering the price, as one 32 gb card is about 30$, and 64 gb card is over 100$ in some zones, buy 2-3 32 gb cards, and change between them!... it is simplier and cheaper!....
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 15:57   #11
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
my screen goes off when im not using it, but i guess thats ok, to save batteries..
The screen is by far the largest consumer of power. So if you wanted the screen to remain illuminated all the time the battery lifetime would be dramatically less than what happens otherwise... with the screen going dark but normal play continuing to your ears.

Quote:
As far as the auto off thing. i would use that.. but I always have it on a continuous run from one song to the next. If there was a way for it to stop after the album im listening is done, then that would be good. Rather than it going on to the next album.
There is a significant difference in how you browse the contents of your J3, between "physical browse" and "logical browse".

(1) Physical browsing is like with Windows Explorer, i.e. navigating down from the highest-level root folder on internal or external storage, pressing the Browser icon on the the main desktop screen and then Library -> [Folders]. You then choose [J3] or [J3 Ext], and then continue navigating downward physically. Each list presented to you is in pure alphabetical sequence by the external folder or file name.

In this physical browsing mode the playback "boundary" options of (a) single play of currently selected music file (aka SINGLE FILE), (b) play all music files in current physical folder (aka FOLDER), or (c) continue with the first song of the next physical folder when the current physical folder's last song is finished (aka ALL).

(2) In contrast, logical browsing is not based on external folder or file names at all. Rather, it is entirely based on the internal tag field values of artist, album, song title, genre, and year.

If you don't want to confuse yourself you should absolutely use a program like MP3Tag to guarantee that your internal tag field values are identical to to your external folder/file names (assuming your collection has physical folders that reflect artist and then album within artist). Of course if your collection isn't organized \Music\Artist\Album then you're on your own as far as what you do.

But the important thing is that logical browsing is based entirely on internal tag field values, and zero to do with external folder/file names. You've been warned.

You enter logical browsing from the Browser button by Library -> [Artists] or [Albums] or [Songs] or [Genres] or [Years]. The nature of this browsing is that it is independent of internal or external storage, so that 100% of your music collection is presented (by internal tag field values) no matter whether those music files live on internal or external storage.

Now as far as the playback "boundary" rules are concerned when playing music using this logical browse approach, the ALL control setting is interpreted by the J3 as FOLDER when you are browsing logically. In fact the "folder" here is not an external physical folder, but rather is a logical folder consisting of all music files whose internal tag field "album" value are identical (no matter what physical folder they live in and no matter whether they are on internal or external storage).

In other words, there is no true ALL playback boundary control when browsing logically. So playback will simply stop at the end of the current logical album folder boundary (or REPEAT starting with the first track in that logical album folder). It will NOT progress on to the next logical album folder.

Again, ALL is treated as FOLDER when in logical browsing mode.

So, from your description (i.e. complaint) that the playback does not stop at the end of the current album but rather continues on to the next album, that is because:

(a) you must have ALL set in your playback boundary control, and

(b) you must be browsing and playing music using the physical browse method rather than the logical browse method.

If you want the playback to stop when all tracks in the current album are finished just change ALL to FOLDER in your settings. That way no matter whether you browse logically or physically playback will stop when the end of the current logical or physical folder boundary is reached.

Quote:
I just got this thing, but the touch screen really annoys me. i try to press one thing and it goes to another. moving from one menu to another is also confusing. I was borrowing a friends old dell jukebox with actual buttons and had a much easier time with that. I dont even have big fingers...
Takes a little getting used to, but you'll figure it out and memorize how to control things soon enough.

As was pointed out, the Cowon standard user interface is a bit underwhelming. You're going to really enjoy your J3 more if you replace the software (i.e. user interface) with a slick alternative UCI, such as the Kizune-developed package: Lynx (main desktop), Leaf (browser), Sense (music) and Vision (pictures).

Quote:
is there an option to press power off and on(and not just 'sleep) from the standby button on the side?
Yes.

1. Press and Hold: Power On/Off
2. Briefly Press: Hold On/Off

Quote:
my ideal player:
64 gb+ , hard buttons, folder browsing, long battery life.. Does any other player fit that descripton, or am i gonna get most of those things with the j3
You've got them all with the J3, plus the best sounding player there is.

Try the Kizune alternative UCI package.

Latest versions of all existing "production" Kizune UCI download files are:

(a) Lynx, for main menu desktop. Download from here.

(b) Leaf, for browser. Download from here.

(c) Sense, for music. Download from here.

(d) Vision, for pictures. Download from here.

Also, if you haven't already done it you should download the user manual PDF for the J3 from the Cowon site.

Last edited by DSperber; 04-25-2012 at 15:59..
Old 04-25-2012, 18:08   #12
azwel

thanks.. im beginning to get used to this...
Old 04-26-2012, 19:48   #13
azwel

hmm, Im wondering, is auto off putting the j3 into sleep mode? or powering off. It seems like its going into sleep mode. Is there a way to toggle between the two.

Last edited by azwel; 04-26-2012 at 19:52..
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27   #14
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
hmm, Im wondering, is auto off putting the j3 into sleep mode? or powering off.
Auto-off -> Powering off.

You can prove that by powering it back on. If it had been in "sleep mode" it would have only taken a few seconds for you to come back to life and be looking at your main menu desktop.

But if it takes a long time to power back on, and you see the "checking external memory" delay, etc., it's obviously coming to life in a "cold boot" full power-on sequence.

And that's what it will look like... "cold boot" power-on after the auto-off shut down.

Quote:
It seems like its going into sleep mode. Is there a way to toggle between the two.
No, auto-off is putting it into power-off state, and there's no way to change that. That's what "auto-off" means.

You yourself are the only one who can put the J3 into "sleep mode", from which later power-on will take just a few seconds. It is a manual action you must take using the screen.

If you're using Cowon's stock user interface you have to navigate back to the main menu and push the power-off/sleep-mode icon and then you can manually choose.

If you're using Kizune's UCI replacements, you can get to it in a slightly different way but the bottom line is the same in that you have to manually choose sleep-mode.

EDIT: Kizune has corrected me. My statement above is INCORRECT.

Apparently the Settings -> System -> Sleep mode -> ON option will do exactly what you want, changing the J3's auto-off behavior to go into SLEEP mode instead of going into POWER-OFF mode. I didn't know this, and the default is OFF. So changing it to ON will accomplish what you want.

Looking at the "user manual" (such as it is) I wondered how I'd missed this feature before, but now that I read it I understand how I'd missed this feature before. There is essentially no information provided telling what this option actually does in terms of J3 behavior modification, but rather only what sleep mode is.

Anyway, thanks to Kizune for setting me straight. I've now corrected my comments.

Last edited by DSperber; 04-27-2012 at 03:35..
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46   #15
Kizune
Feel free to call me 'Kizu' ;)

Send a message via ICQ to Kizune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
No, auto-off is putting it into power-off state, and there's no way to change that. That's what "auto-off" means.
That's wrong, you can change it: Go to Settings > System and set "Sleep mode" to "On". Also, if this setting is enabled, holding the power button puts the J3 into sleep mode instead of shutting it down.

audio setup: Cowon J3 32gb | Cowon Z2 16gb | Audio Technica ATH-M50

other: Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 7
Kizune is offline View Kizune's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: