iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon O2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2012, 18:33   #1
keal
Cowon D2, still the audio KING

Default 64GB SDXC card for the O2 works!

I got a Trancend 64GB SDXC card from Amazon to use in my Cowon D2 and O2 players.

When I got the card, it came formatted in the 'exFAT' format, which doesn't work on either player.

I have a card reader on my computer, and putting the card in, I tried to reformat it in Windows 7. It allows me to format in 'exFAT' or 'NTFS' both of which don't work on the D2.

So doing a web search led me to this free Windows utility that lets you format the card in 'fat32' format, which then makes the card work for both players.

Note that you cannot leave the card in your player when working with your computer to format/transfer/delete. You need a USB card reader, or a card reader that's in your computer. So to format the card, or to transfer or delete files to it, you need to take the card out of your O2/D2 and plug it into a card reader if you have Windows 7. Using that utility above to format the card to 'fat32' you can then drag-and-drop music or videos to the card.

If you get the 128GB SDXC card by Lexar (the only 128GB card I know of right now) this should apply to that card as well, but I'm just guessing.

Cheers!

BTW, using the D2 and O2 as flac players for all my 24-bit high definition files (converted to 16-bit flac as they don't do 24-bit, no big deal) along with a Headroom Total Bithead amp and various headphones (like the Etymotic ER-4P and Ultrasone Pro 550) for a portable, super high-quality listening session.

The D2 is still, in my opinion, Cowon's best MP3 player ever, with the O2 following a close second. Thankfully the batteries for the D2 are still available online, but I worry about my O2!
Using Cowon D2 with Headroom Total Bithead ampdac for euphoric audio listening sessions
JetAudio user since v4.0.2
Etymotic ER-4P user since 2003
keal is offline View keal's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2012, 20:10   #2
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

I thought the O2 could handle 24bit/96KHz?
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%
Adoby is offline View Adoby's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:18   #3
chromaticditone

im pretty impressed by cowon o2. Just wanted to confirm that if this is a good investment at this time and by that i mean the player came out in 2008 and its 2012. so is it outdated or any other issues.
chromaticditone is offline View chromaticditone's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:29   #4
nintendude7cubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromaticditone View Post
im pretty impressed by cowon o2. Just wanted to confirm that if this is a good investment at this time and by that i mean the player came out in 2008 and its 2012. so is it outdated or any other issues.
I don't know what this reply has to do with anything regarding this thread...

Anyway Keal it's good to see that you still use your O2. I would if i hadn't broken it by accident. Got the J3 now.. Still has only 5 bands of EQ versus the O2's 10. I loved having that sort of precision in sound adjustment on that thing. Anyway I was under the impression that the SD slot could only handle 32 gig cards.

Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones, Yuin PK3 earbuds (R.I.P), Blue Ever Blue 328R "the Black" ear buds
nintendude7cubed is offline View nintendude7cubed's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 14:05   #5
revmike

Thanks keal for the information. I just installed a 64gb card in my O2, with the use of that format program.
revmike is offline View revmike's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 18:46   #6
revmike

Just to clarify, the O2 seems to only reccogize 32gb of the 64gb card. It shows up in explorer but it will only show 32gb on the player and the remaing space is not accessible, unless I am missing something. So save your money and stay with the 32gb card.

Okay apparently it works, but it seems to take awhile for the system to recognize all the files on the card. Everytime I shut down the O2 and turn it back on and go to the card it recognizes more files, it recognizes over 8000 of the 8500 music files that I put on the card. Now to see if it will play them.

Last edited by revmike; 06-18-2012 at 10:49..
revmike is offline View revmike's Photo Album   Reply With Quote