iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon X7

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2012, 07:45   #1
Aquila

Default Editing Tags on Device

Hello,

Is it possible to link the X7 to a computer and use software such as mp3Tag to update tag information DIRECTLY on the device? I have tried this, and it appears to work: The software saves the file on the X7 drive, and I can open the file properties in Windows and see my changes. However, after I disconnect the device and it does its database updating etc, my changes aren't reflected in the Music browser.

Thanks.
Aquila is offline View Aquila's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-04-2012, 13:13   #2
doniago
I, Like, Do Stuff Here.

Send a message via ICQ to doniago Send a message via Yahoo to doniago

I'm pretty sure MediaMonkey would let you do that, but I would generally advise editing your library on your PC and then syncing it to your player.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all."
doniago is offline View doniago's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:45   #3
smackfreek

I have Media Monkey installed right on the X7 and open it from there and edit...seems to work pretty good
smackfreek is offline View smackfreek's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:52   #4
Aquila

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into MediaMonkey.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29   #5
Aquila

I installed MediaMonkey and expanded the X7 device. I made my changes and this all seemed to work - The artists were updated in the tree as expected. Then, when I disconnect from the computer, my changes aren't reflected in the music browser on the device. So I'm now at a point where there are artists listed in the device music browser that are not displayed in MediaMonkey.

I can add/delete files through MediaMonkey like this, its just editing that I have a problem with - The device doesn't seem to be reading the tags that have changed and is building the artist list incorrectly.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32   #6
smackfreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I installed MediaMonkey and expanded the X7 device. I made my changes and this all seemed to work - The artists were updated in the tree as expected. Then, when I disconnect from the computer, my changes aren't reflected in the music browser on the device. So I'm now at a point where there are artists listed in the device music browser that are not displayed in MediaMonkey.

I can add/delete files through MediaMonkey like this, its just editing that I have a problem with - The device doesn't seem to be reading the tags that have changed and is building the artist list incorrectly.
Did you install it in "portable" mode?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29   #7
Aquila

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfreek View Post
Did you install it in "portable" mode?
Thanks for that - I've now installed it onto the X7 in portable mode. I was just running it from my computer drive before. I've played around with it a bit, and as far as I can see, it seems to be displaying the updated tag information in the music browser, only if I also modified the filename.

Not sure if that makes sense, or maybe I'm just missing something obvious...
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29   #8
kiboy6

Unfotunately AFAIK any tagging changes made to files directly on the X7 won't be picked up by the player.

In theory, you have to remove the files from the X7, change the tagging, and then transfer them to the X7 again

However, there is a little work-around that will let you avoid deleting the files from the X7 and then re-adding them.

1.) Before or after re-tagging In windows set the properties for the mp3s in questions to "hidden" (this can be done directly from mp3tag if you use that program)

2.) Safely disconnect the X7 and let it update. It will remove the hidden files from the database

3.) Reconnect the X7 and once the tags are as you like them undo the "hidden" property. Now when you disconnect the X7 the tagging changes will be picked up.
kiboy6 is offline View kiboy6's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:44   #9
smackfreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiboy6 View Post
Unfotunately AFAIK any tagging changes made to files directly on the X7 won't be picked up by the player.

In theory, you have to remove the files from the X7, change the tagging, and then transfer them to the X7 again

However, there is a little work-around that will let you avoid deleting the files from the X7 and then re-adding them.

1.) Before or after re-tagging In windows set the properties for the mp3s in questions to "hidden" (this can be done directly from mp3tag if you use that program)

2.) Safely disconnect the X7 and let it update. It will remove the hidden files from the database

3.) Reconnect the X7 and once the tags are as you like them undo the "hidden" property. Now when you disconnect the X7 the tagging changes will be picked up.
I was able to "auto tag from web" and it worked fine ,I also changed genres ,art work ,band names and song names and they show up fine with out removing them from the player without doing the "hidden" trick