iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon D2/D2+ > D2 SD Card Discussion

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2011, 16:07   #1
v0rtex99
Fr.ogg.y Lover

Yes 128GB SDXC in D2+

128GB SDXC Card works just fine in my D2+ with Rockbox. Using an external card reader I formatted a Lexar 133x 128GB SDXC card to Fat32 on my Mac computer. Hooked it up to my PC, copied over 70GB of music and the Rockbox files and it works just great! I don't know if writing/formatting the card in the player would work and it would be a lot slower. Going to use the reader for all copying. Both the stock 2.13 firmware and the latest Rockbox firmware can read all the files and play music just fine! About 136GB of usable space!

Last edited by v0rtex99; 08-30-2011 at 16:10..
v0rtex99 is offline View v0rtex99's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2011, 05:19   #2
michael1946

But what about the FW-limitations of the numbers of directories and files?
michael1946 is offline View michael1946's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04   #3
v0rtex99
Fr.ogg.y Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1946 View Post
But what about the FW-limitations of the numbers of directories and files?
I guess the limitation for the Cowon firmware still stands when referring to the database. However, the folder browsing works just fine and that is what I use on both the stock and Rockbox firmware. Although I never use the stock firmware anymore now that Rockbox is on there! I just have my music very well organized in an Artist/Album/##-SongName folder format and that works very well for me.
v0rtex99 is offline View v0rtex99's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 18:38   #4
joe75

Does this really work?
I have been reading here and there about a hardware limitation for shdc reader and they cannot read sdxc cards!
Does the rockbox report capacity as 70000 Go /128 ?

Thanks
Cowon D2 black 16Go
Cowon S9 32Go

Intras : PL30, CX300, Etymotics ER4-PRO
Headphones : PX100
joe75 is offline View joe75's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31   #5
AshenTech

it should work fine, hardware wise current sdxc cards are just sdhc cards, only dif is they format them with exFat rather then fat32 out of the factory because thats what the sdxc spec requires.

you can also use swiss knife or partition wizard to format the card to fat32 in windows rather then using a mac to do it.

as to the limitations, yeah they still effect the database/tag based browsing, but should have zero effect on file/folder browsing
AshenTech is offline View AshenTech's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 18:36   #6
joe75

This is quite incredible! At least this was unexpected because i kept hearing it was hardware related.
Anyway i hope they produce SDXC cards soon, because on my phone(android) i only have SD card slot and i could use it with an adapter on my D2 slot instead of buying a full SDXC card.
Cowon D2 black 16Go
Cowon S9 32Go

Intras : PL30, CX300, Etymotics ER4-PRO
Headphones : PX100
joe75 is offline View joe75's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 00:57   #7
quokka

Just to clarify how to get a 128GB sdxc card working ok in a D2+......

1. Insert sdxc card in an external reader & format as Fat32 ( i used fat32format.exe to do this on my Windows 7 pc.)
2. When complete, just copy all your music across to the 128gb sdxc card.
3. Insert card in D2+, wait for database to update and you're done.

Warning: The sdxc card will show as an unformatted drive when you connect the Cowon D2+ to your Windows PC with the card still inside. Don't Panic! Your data is still ok.
Just remember that if you wish to add/remove music files on the sdxc card you need to remove the card from the D2+ and insert into a card reader. The card reader will work perfectly with the sdxc card.

I can confirm the Cowon D2+ works perfectly well with a Lexar 128gb sdxc card, I have over 100gb of flac music files which I can browse, view & play ok. The only issue I can find is when the D2+ is connected to a Windows pc & you try to open the 'shared' sdxc card while still inside the D2+. This is a minor issue but I thought it worth noting as it may cause concern.
quokka is offline View quokka's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20   #8
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

expensive test, glad it worked out *highly jealous*
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 18:24   #9
kp-j3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quokka View Post
Just to clarify how to get a 128GB sdxc card working ok in a D2+......

1. Insert sdxc card in an external reader & format as Fat32 ( i used fat32format.exe to do this on my Windows 7 pc.)
2. When complete, just copy all your music across to the 128gb sdxc card.
3. Insert card in D2+, wait for database to update and you're done.

Warning: The sdxc card will show as an unformatted drive when you connect the Cowon D2+ to your Windows PC with the card still inside. Don't Panic! Your data is still ok.
Just remember that if you wish to add/remove music files on the sdxc card you need to remove the card from the D2+ and insert into a card reader. The card reader will work perfectly with the sdxc card.

I can confirm the Cowon D2+ works perfectly well with a Lexar 128gb sdxc card, I have over 100gb of flac music files which I can browse, view & play ok. The only issue I can find is when the D2+ is connected to a Windows pc & you try to open the 'shared' sdxc card while still inside the D2+. This is a minor issue but I thought it worth noting as it may cause concern.

Are you running rockbox? I've got the same setup, and I can't find anyway to get past the file limit (using mp3s), even browsing by folder, using the stock firmware. Are you actually over 4000 flac files, or are you close to the edge?
kp-j3 is offline View kp-j3's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32   #10
AshenTech

odd, with my d2+ I had no issue going past the 4000 limit when using file/folder browsing, (not flac, ogg files) that was with the latest d2+ firmware tho....

not tested with my c2 yet.....eventually I will tho.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:38   #11
michael1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech View Post
odd, with my d2+ I had no issue going past the 4000 limit when using file/folder browsing, (not flac, ogg files) that was with the latest d2+ firmware tho....

not tested with my c2 yet.....eventually I will tho.
The English D2 manual version 1.6 says: "max. 500 folders/5000 files" whereas the German D2+ manual version 1.0 says: "max. 500 folders/4000 files" !?
michael1946 is offline View michael1946's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 18:05   #12
AshenTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1946 View Post
The English D2 manual version 1.6 says: "max. 500 folders/5000 files" whereas the German D2+ manual version 1.0 says: "max. 500 folders/4000 files" !?
its the database not file/folder browsing from what i have seen, the database...based mode cant record over a set limit(upped via firmware update i think) but file/folder read the disk directly not relying on a database.

I wish cowon would put a way to disable database mode if you dont use it, would save me alot of time and headakes and speed booting alot :/
Old 09-24-2012, 22:11   #13
lancewex
Lancewex

I keep reading references all over that say if you navigate via folders the file/folder limit isn't a problem. But it is for me. I always go to FOLDERS, and my Cowon D2 will not show any new music that I add. Well, to be more precise: when I add new music to the SD card (64gb reformated to Fat32) if it's at the beginning it will show up, but something at the end of the alphabetical list will not show up anymore. I think people need to stop claiming that the D2 has no file limit if using folder-based navigation. It is NOT TRUE. I am on the most recent firmware, and it it will not show more than the 28gb.
lancewex is offline View lancewex's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45   #14
AshenTech

sounds like you should install the latest d2+ firmware for your model, when I had mine(16gb+32gb card) i was able to see thousands of files without issues.

all music at that time was in 128-160kbps(vorbis on internal memory) range, all audio books in 32kbps(q0 vorbis on 32gb card)

not sure what your problem is, but it worked fine for me....my c2 works just as well....
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35   #15
lancewex
Lancewex

Default D2 file limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech View Post
sounds like you should install the latest d2+ firmware for your model, when I had mine(16gb+32gb card) i was able to see thousands of files without issues.
See, this is what I mean. You imply that it works for you. But all you said is "thousands of files". I too can see "thousands of files". Officially it's 8000. For a while I thought it worked for me too. I just didn't immediately notice that when I added files that others would then stop showing up--because the ones I add will usually show up.

On another note: I can't find if the X7 has a file/folder limit. Anyone know?
lancewex is offline View lancewex's Photo Album   Reply With Quote