iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon D2/D2+ > D2 Cases & Accessories

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2010, 14:36   #1
mike-heal
Rockin my Box

Confused What EXACTLY is the NAME of the D2 charge/ext port??

I cannot find this info ANYWHERE!!

People here have referred to it as MicroUSB, maybe Micro-A. After research and comparison, IT IS NOT THIS. See image on this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-MP3-PMP-...item20b52225e1

There is NO info online about what the connector name is on the DVE DSA-10P-05. The molding has a USB symbol on it, but it damn sure isnt any normal USB.

This thread, someone kindly found the right cable and pinout info, and its for a "Sanyo Camera", although it needs rewiring:
http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37382

Found a lead.. see pics
cable for Sanyo Xacti cameras
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Cable-Sanyo-...item5add594c89

All the similar correct cables I've seen so far have the black square in the connector metal bottom-side

So..
Anyone know?
Is this strange connector used on a cellphone charger- if so, what cellphone?
Any leads on the cowon boards?

Thanks..
mike-heal is offline View mike-heal's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-27-2010, 15:31   #2
mike-heal
Rockin my Box

Ok, getting somewhere. It seems to be referred to as, generically, a mini 8-pin flat male.
This auction has a huge list of all the cameras/phones it fits too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Cable-UC-E6-...item45f2d3eddc
Old 11-28-2010, 05:41   #3
Metschwein

I use this D2 Cable, it work´s fine with the special USB-Port from the D2
tschau
Thorsten
Old 11-28-2010, 05:54   #4
Peaceful1
.....silence.....

Send a message via Yahoo to Peaceful1

D2 has two kind of ports mini USB & micro USB for your need you are looking for standard "mini USB".

my ROCKBOX is --->clip+ed-clip ed-Fuze ed-D2+ed
Fiio E3-FiioE5-FiioE7
AKG 518DJ,AKG 340,MDR-Q68 Black,EP-630,Cowon CE1
Peaceful1 is offline View Peaceful1's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 13:53   #5
mike-heal
Rockin my Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metschwein View Post
I use this D2 Cable
Wow cool - very nice. Of course euros are alot more expensive to US.
Heck, they even have a car charger - http://dreamtimeshop.com/index.php?m...71&language=en
But its only 700mA.

Peaceful, I'm sorry but you are mistaken. I know the data port is a mini-usb B (standard to lots of devices), but the charge port is NOT "micro usb" in any fashion. I've now personally seen a micro-B connector (after mistakenly ordering one in my quest for a cable) and it is HUGE in comparison to the D2 port. Micro-A is closer, but is still too wide and has the wrong internal pins and plastic - 4pin. D2 has teensy 8-pins.
Old 11-28-2010, 17:05   #6
guilc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-heal View Post
Peaceful, I'm sorry but you are mistaken. I know the data port is a mini-usb B (standard to lots of devices), but the charge port is NOT "micro usb" in any fashion
Peaceful is completely right. You can perfectly charge the D2 through the miniB USB data port... I do this every time I charge, usually with an old motorola USB charger (I use this one : http://reviews.cnet.com/i/bto/200902...er_270x270.jpg).

So If your need is only charging, no need of an extra exotic cable...

Last edited by guilc; 11-28-2010 at 17:09..
guilc is offline View guilc's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:07   #7
Peaceful1
.....silence.....

O.K.,I'm a bit confused so the middle port is mini USB the bottom one is called micro USB & whats the top ones name ( am I saying it right ?! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29112010011.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 29112010018.jpg (31.6 KB, 0 views)

Fiio E3-FiioE5-FiioE7

Last edited by Peaceful1; 11-29-2010 at 04:50..
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35   #8
guilc

Yes, the white in the middle is mini-B
The one at the bottom look likes micro-B

The one on top looks like for me something non-standard

ports sample : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sb_new.svg.png
guilc is offline View guilc's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30   #9
Peaceful1
.....silence.....

so one of the COWON ports is non standard?!

Fiio E3-FiioE5-FiioE7
Old 12-07-2010, 02:25   #10
mike-heal
Rockin my Box

Yep.. this is what I'm trying to say.. very hard to find the right cable to buy to charge D2 via non-AC sources, looking just like the wall charger it comes with, because its NOT STANDARD..

The D2 EXT port, which charges, line in, video out and all, AFAIK is a "sanyo camera" port. Notice 8 pins. The pic with 3 plugs - D2 cable on top (8-pin flat mini B, according to ebay auctions), standard mini-b, standard micro-b (now used in lots of cellphones).

Now I could care less that I can charge with the mini port - because as everyone else has pointed out before on this forum, the data usb port (mini), when plugged in, wont let you use the player; the D2EXT multiport allows simultaneous playback and charging. In addition I would not try to charge the D2 thru its USB data port on full 2A, whereas the charge port is designed for 2A.

Anyway! I, and seemingly anyone else replying to this thread, have failed to find the industry-spec name for this port, the point being able to easily buy cables with the right connector on it..

At this point after finding enough of the right cables on ebay and online stores (I just went with dealextreme), I'm giving up on this- my need is gone. Hopefully I've provided enough info here for others to have some assistance in their future cable searches.
Thanks from:
Old 12-07-2010, 02:41   #11
Peaceful1
.....silence.....

add this too:here

Fiio E3-FiioE5-FiioE7
Thanks from:
Old 12-07-2010, 14:33   #12
mike-heal
Rockin my Box

oh wow thanks, they were talking about it in that thread too. Of course as I found out its not micro-b, or even micro-a (which kinda looks right, except thats only 4-pin and wider).
Old 12-16-2011, 22:53   #13
Nazo
Happy Cowon DAP owner

I'm pretty sure it is Micro USB, only type B. The accepted norm is type A and it's nearly impossible to find a real type B connector. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._connector.jpg Most attempts to search for images of type B will yield type A results (though good use of quotes can help.)

Actually, on this subject, has anyone seen a charging cable for US users? In particular, I've given up and put my D2 in my car since nothing else will do well enough due to my X5L finally biting the dust (R.I.P.) but I find it really annoying having to tap first just to wake it up. If I set it to stay always on, I'll absolutely kill the battery though. Unfortunately, the D2/D2+ chooses not to allow the user to play while charging via the mini-USB port even when using a charge only connection (I've never understood this and I'm pretty sure this is a software issue, not hardware so it should have been fixed a long time ago) such as USB power coming from a "power brick" that only actually uses the two pins (or some seem to have something -- I presume the fifth pin -- that seems to tell certain devices "this is a charge only connection" as I've noticed a few seem to do this on certain devices while some other do not with the same devices) rather than a PC. I'd like to just leave it plugged in and basically leave the battery in as good of a condition as I reasonably can do with the conditions my poor D2 is about to go through (it really doesn't deserve it, but I can't afford another quality player to put in my car right now.)

The problem I'm running into is I can't seem to get any searches to actually search for micro-USB type B. They all turn up the standard type A that absolutely everything else in the world but this and apparently one or two Sanyo cameras uses. It doesn't help that most sites that sell these things have pretty braindead search algorithms... I've even seen a rare few that were mislabeled (it was obvious at an immediate glance that they were type A and I'm not sure how they ever ended up labeled as type B in the first place) but mostly when I try to search for micro USB type B cables, no matter what creative search terms, usage of quotes, and etc I come up with, I just end up getting type A cables. If at all possible I really don't want to cut the connector off of my wall charger (assuming I can find the thing) and I'd prefer not to have to build a cable either as that's a bit of a pain. I have a nice device in my car that provides USB connectors for charging and powering devices just like these, so all I really want is a normal micro-USB type B cable and nothing else. (I'd really prefer an actual USB cable so I can just use that thing since I have my phone also there and don't want to have to take up two slots to do what one can do.)

EDIT: Then again, I find another Wikipedia page saying that it's not? At this point, I'm definitely about ready to give up...

Last edited by Nazo; 12-16-2011 at 23:06..
Nazo is offline View Nazo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 15:59   #14
paulr

My D2 came with a wall charger (they stopped shipping it with the D2+ to cut costs, but they sold it separately, and it looks like you can still buy it through www.jetmall.net). Yes you can use the player while it is charging, with the external charger. I'm not sure what happens if you use a power-only USB cable with those 2 pins shorted.

Actually the wall charger with my D2 was a huge heavy transformer-style wart, while the one on jetmall looks a lot nicer, like a compact, switching-style cell phone charger.

Last edited by paulr; 03-18-2012 at 16:51.. Reason: you need the www before jetmall.net
paulr is offline View paulr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Tags
8-pin flat mini b, d2 cable