iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Cowon iAudio > Cowon's Software

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2012, 16:02   #1
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

Default Using test results to help with eq

I try to use the eq on my j3 to adjust/improve the frequency response for my headphones. I think the eq is a great help to improve the sound from headphones that may not be so great without eq.

But it is hard to do this blind. It takes a lot of testing with different materials to find a good neutral sound that lets the recording play without coloring it (to much). But still, it is fun and rewarding.

I have recently found a site with test measurements for a lot of headphones, and using the frequency response curves there it is possible to get a good starting point for a corrective eq. I have found that really helpful. You can see weaknesses and how they may be compensated. Of course you still have to listen and adjust further using your ears. But having a good staring point really helps. And it is cheap, since you already got a player with good eq.

You can look up measurements for headphones you own and check the measured frequency response. And try to compensate for problems. It is easy to compensate the lowest bass and the highest treble, if that seems weak. But it is harder to pinpoint other defects. The measurements helps to find where and how much to compensate.

I try to stay around 0. And increase as much as I decrease. And I start with small compensations, and listen to different music and check how it sounds when I increase the compensation a little. The availability of several presets really helps. It is easy to quickly switch between different settings and listen to compare and try to find the best settings.

The site with measurements: http://en.goldenears.net/
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%
Adoby is offline View Adoby's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2012, 16:58   #2
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

this looks really interesting and usefull, thank you very much for sharing the link.

i'm sure im going to put this to good use

wonder if he's related to cowons Mr Namkyu (golden ears) Park
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52   #3
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

My goal is to get the headphones and the j3 to "disappear" audiowise, so I no longer notice them. And only the recording and the "room" it was made in remains. Then I know I am close to optimal settings.
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%
Adoby is offline View Adoby's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18   #4
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

i attempted to do something similar, i got my graph from headfi i think.

what i found is that the frequencies on the j3 eq dont match once adjusted, also the adjustment levels arent really fine enough to balance it all that well.

but then the frequencies on the j3 eq dont match with the frequencies stated in the audio chips datasheet either.

cowon telling lies again ><

maybe for better results, ignore the j3 values, use the ones from the data sheet and then adjust that against the graph.
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Tags
eq compensation