iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > General Audio > Media Software

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 12:23   #1
foosnark

Default syncing big library to J3 internal + SD card

I have somewhere over 50GB of music, and a J3 which has 32GB (minus a little) onboard and 32GB on its SD card. In Windows, they come up as two different external drives (E: and F: in my case).

I've seen some people recommend BeyondCompare or other diff/merge tools, or folder sync software. But will anything handle this kind of split automatically?

I want to sync as many of the subfolders within C:\mp3\library to E:\music (reserving a little free space on that drive) and then everything else to F:\.

I'd prefer to not have to manage that split manually, but I suppose if there's no other way, I can create that split on my PC instead of having to figure out where the dividing line needs to be each time.
foosnark is offline View foosnark's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2012, 15:10   #2
lupu_de_balta
Wolf_of_water

Send a message via Yahoo to lupu_de_balta

yes, sorry but there is no such thing as a program that could ever know where it should split your folders. just go with manual splitting, then copy->paste. simple as daylight.
balta=water.
lupu_de_balta is offline View lupu_de_balta's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 16:46   #3
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosnark View Post
I've seen some people recommend BeyondCompare
Could have been me???

Quote:
But will anything handle this kind of split automatically?
Not if your PC collection is one large C:\MP3\Library (just as mine is D:\MP3).

If you compare that one large PC folder/file collection to the two subset folder/file collections on the two drives of the J3 (which of course each carry just a fraction of your single folder PC collection) you're bound to see "orphans" from each of the two comparisons.

Only with the approach you've already conceived of, where you divide you PC collection into two pieces, to mirror your two J3 collections (i.e. drives), will the two "compare sessions" now have no "orphans".

No way to avoid that, as you've already discovered, unless you take this action of dividing your PC collection to exactly match your J3 collection.

Quote:
I want to sync as many of the subfolders within C:\mp3\library to E:\music (reserving a little free space on that drive) and then everything else to F:\.
Note that there's nothing to prevent you from creating your own "parent folder" on external storage, just like \Music is your "parent folder" on internal storage. You don't have to put your music into the root of external storage.

But putting it under a parent folder on external storage just looks cleaner when comparing (say with Beyond Compare) and examining (with Windows Explorer, Free Commander, etc.), although the J3 can handle it either way.

I myself have the music files on my external card defined under a folder I created named \MusicSD, just so that when I re-open "existing compare sessions" in Beyond Compare I can instantly recognize which one is for internal storage (\Music) and which one is for external storage (\MusicSD). This isn't critical, but it's a nice convenience.

One more time I highly recommend Beyond Compare.

Just as an example of one of its nice features (especially when sync'ing two folders, like PC music vs. J3 internal/external storage) arose last week when I created a brand new "folder compare" session (on a different machine). Turns out much music on the J3 had been copied there quite some time ago, when it was DST. It's now STD time, and this Sunday we set our clocks ahead to DST.

But for now, the comparison of my PC music which has date/time values that Win7 interprets as STD (perhaps because it's on an NTFS drive) to my J3 music which has date/time values that Win7 interprets as DST (perhaps because it's on a FAT32 drive) produces a well-known difference in comparing otherwise identical folders/files when it involves an NTFS vs. FAT32 situation. So there is an apparent 1-hour difference in the time-stamps, although the files are actually truly identical (and in fact the J3 files were copied from the PC files, but 6 months ago so that we now have a DST vs. STD time-interpretation issue, making them appear to be different).

This further brings in yet another additional tiny but well-known 2-second difference in the time values shown for otherwise identical folders/files when FAT32 vs. NTFS is involved. Again, the FAT32 files were direct copies from the NTFS files, but they appear to differ by 2 seconds in their timestamp.

Anyway, Beyond Compare has built-in check boxes for both of these options, in terms of customizing your "compare session" criteria. You can optionally disregard DST vs. STD (i.e. 1-hour "acceptable" difference, when the file date vs. the Win7 data implies a DST vs. STD issue). And you can also disregard the known 2-second difference as "tolerance", which covers the FAT32 vs. NTFS issue.

Bottom line: Beyond Compare can be told to consider truly identical files identical even though they might differ by 1-hour and 2-seconds in their timestamp based on external indicators.

Beyond Compare is a wonderful product, and can do much more than the basic folder/file compare I've alluded to here... and which I use to maintain my J3.
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:32   #4
Adoby
96GB J3 UE700 KPP

I store a little different stuff on the internal and the external memory. On the internal I keep stuff that rarely change. Music that I listen often to. Favorites and some classical music. On the external memory I keep new stuff and videos and audio books. Things I may not listen to a lot, before I prefer to listen to something new instead.

I have two folders on my harddrive that I sync from. Sometimes an album migrates over to the favourite folder. But usually I only have to sync the external memory. Before I do that I can easily check that it is not too big.
$if($or($in(%genre%,Classical),$in(%genre%,Baroque )),/Classical/,/Artists/)$firstalphachar($upper($if2(%albumartist%,%artist %)),#)/$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4) ~ )%album%$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%)$if(%discsubtitle%, \(%discsubtitle%\))$if($eq(%_extension%,flac), FLAC,)/$num(%tracknumber%,2) ~ %artist% ~ %title%
Adoby is offline View Adoby's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:47   #5
foosnark

Thanks for the suggestions. I've gone ahead and split everything from A-L and M-Z.

For source code file diff purposes, I actually prefer the free WinMerge over Beyond Compare. I'll give it a shot for this, next time I need it. (This round, I just deleted all my music off the J3 and am recopying, since removing embedded album art in favor of separate cover.jpgs touched every file anyway.)

Edit: WinMerge works pretty much as you described Beyond Compare, except for the option to ignore Daylight Savings weirdness. Out of the whole collection there were only a dozen or so files that were false positives for differences, so I went ahead and let it copy just to clear that up.

Last edited by foosnark; 03-08-2012 at 00:12..
Old 03-14-2012, 19:20   #6
foosnark

Disadvantages of WinMerge folder compare:

-- it does not, and apparently can not, ignore all the myriad crap that Windows 7 and WMP (which I don't even run on purpose, but it was auto-starting as a service) write into directories: Folder.jpg, desktop.ini, and various album art files. I have no intent on copying all that crud onto my J3

-- it can't handle daylight savings differences (but you can make it compare only file size).

So it's not so hot after all.
Old 03-14-2012, 19:44   #7
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

havent read this entire thread so excuse my being ignorant to whats been said, but i do have a suggestion.

windows itself can take two drive letters\partitions and treat it as one drive (not talking raid stuff, just drive letters).

i dont see why it wouldnt work on the j3 and card unless it's limited to ntfs or some specific partition type.

if it wont work on the device there's another (although more long winded) alternative, which would be to create that split drive on a hard disk (same sizes as your card and j3) and sync to and from it. but obviously that involves a double or even triple sync.

Last edited by Enzyme; 03-14-2012 at 19:46..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 20:00   #8
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
-- it can't handle daylight savings differences (but you can make it compare only file size).
If you only compare on "file size" and not binary CRC as well, you will miss updates to tag data.

Tag data fits into fixed-length fields, so correcting spelling, etc., will not change the "file size" but it will change (a) file date, and (b) binary CRC.

I've not used WinMerge so can't really comment. But I'm completely comfortable with the 2-pane presentation from Beyond Compare (showing either differences or equivalences), allowing me make manual changes to either side (e.g. deleting "orphans" or "obsoletes" on the left) and seeing immediate indicative color/content changes on the other side, COPY/MOVE from one side to the other, MIRROR from one side to the other either retaining or deleting orphans from either/both side, etc., etc.

Not to mention its ability to "save compare session" in history, having been specifically customized to compare just what you want and exactly how you want during that first use. You can then open that exact same "compare session" for re-use/edit in the future, and not have to go through the whole first-time compare session setup again.

Not to mention its "tabbed folder" design, so that you can have multiple compare sessions active at one time.

I don't know how you've installed it or modified its default setup or look. I run in "expert" mode, for maximum flexibility although the appearance may be a bit much for first-time users.

For example, in the following screenshot the "red" differences here are for date (in this case DST vs. STD time only) which can be inhibited simply by changing the compare session setting for that value (thus showing that it is only the "21" folder which is truly on the right side but not the left). From that point forward, anytime that saved compare session is re-used the DST option will be in effect.

Or...

Old 03-14-2012, 20:06   #9
foosnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
If you only compare on "file size" and not binary CRC as well, you will miss updates to tag data.

Tag data fits into fixed-length fields, so correcting spelling, etc., will not change the "file size" but it will change (a) file date, and (b) binary CRC.
Ah, I hadn't thought about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Not to mention its ability to "save compare session" in history, having been specifically customized to compare just what you want and exactly how you want during that first use. You can then open that exact same "compare session" for re-use/edit in the future, and not have to go through the whole first-time compare session setup again.
WinMerge will do that as well. My main motive for using it rather than BeyondCompare is it's free.

I gave AllWaySync a try, and though its interface is a little less friendly than it should be, once you get used to it's quite capable of doing the trick. A neat thing about it is I can have it run both sessions (comparing my A-L folder with E:\MusicSD and my M-Z folder with F:\Music) with one click.
Old 03-14-2012, 20:41   #10
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
My main motive for using it rather than BeyondCompare is it's free.
Can't fault you for that reasoning.

I've been using Beyond Compare from 2003 when I bought version 2. Maintenance upgrades were free (and actually came out fairly frequently, as this was a 1-man software shop and he was rightfully proud of what he'd created) for the next 6 years, until he came out with version 3 and charged a new fee.

So in 2009 I bought a version 3 license, and have again been using it ever since as each new maintenance upgrade is released (again, for free).

I have no problem paying software vendors for their ongoing and dedicated labors (I'm one myself), including even paying "annual maintenance" if required and worthwhile... assuming I truly make use of the product and maintenance has been beneficial to me and resulted in genuine fixes, improvements and enhancements.

In contrast, there are a number of products I continue to use in their "legacy" form, at a version level from many many years ago even though the current product has evolved and progressed... but into something that is of no additional value to me over and above what I originally bought it for. ACDSee is such an example, where I continue to use version 4.1 (from 2001) which was an upgrade from version 3 (from 1999). Version 5 (from 2003) began the "bloat/decline" of the product in my opinion, seeing the beginning of features which didn't work quite right, unfortunate complexity for the sake of "unnecessary enhancement", etc. Today the product is at version 12 or something, Pro editions, etc., but I'm still running 4.1 from 11 years ago, and am totally satisfied... with the few dollars that license cost me back then completely justified.

Again, I don't mind paying for software when it gives me what I am looking for while other products either did not or did not do it as well or were incomprehensible or difficult to use. I support software authors, especially when they respond promptly to my problem reports or questions (as has always been the case with Scooter Software).

Just as one further example, where I feel "I got my money's worth", I had a situation where I had a collection of "raw" images from my Nikon camera (i.e. NEF files) that I was manipulating, editing, and converting to JPG for distribution to family members.

So I had two folders, one of which contained NEF files and the other of which contained corresponding JPG files

What I wanted to see was which NEF files (if any) I had not yet processed into JPG files. So I wanted to compare the two folders strictly on the basis of file name, but not extension. I didn't know how to do this, and wrote to Scooter to ask if it was possible.

Here was their response:
This is already possible in Beyond Compare 3 Pro.

Load the .NEF files on the left and the .JPG files on the right in the Folder Compare.
Select "Session > Session Settings".
Go to the "Misc" tab.
In "Alignment Overrides", click "New".
Enter *.NEF for the left and *.JPG for the right.
Click OK until you're back to the main Folder Compare window.

If you use the "Regular Expression" check box, it allows for a bit more power if you have more complicated name differences. The current implementation uses a regular expression mask on the left and an exact match for the right side. Expanding this to allow masks on both sides is on our wish list for a future release.
I'm a happy long-time user of Beyond Compare.