iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon J3 > J3 Video

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03   #1
Pipkin

Default Handbrake 0.9.4 MP4 settings

I have been trying out some settings in handbrake for the J3 and they seem to work well. These settings do not work on the S9.

In handbrake, I select the iphone legacy profile and make the following modifications:

Change filename to .mp4 extension
Filter Tab - Select default decomb
Video Tab - select constant quality. I set RF quality to 23 as a trade of between filesize and video quality. lower number = higher quality and larger filesize
Advanced Tab - Set motion estimation range to 32 and uncheck no fast-p-skip.

This can be saved to a batch file (show queue | queue | generate batch file). The batch file entry will look something like:

"C:\Program Files\Media\Handbrake0.9.4\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -i "Z:\TV\DVD\Peep Show - Season 1\VIDEO_TS" -t 2 --angle 1 -c 1-6 -o "C:\J3\Peep Show\Season 1\S01E01 - warring factions.mp4" -f mp4 -X 480 -Y 272 --decomb -e x264 -q 23 -a 1 -E faac -6 auto -R 48 -B 96 -D 0.0 --markers="C:\Users\Pipkin\AppData\Local\Temp\S01E01 - warring factions-2-chapters.csv" -x level=30:cabac=0:ref=1:analyse=all:me=umh:psy-rd=0,0:bframes=0:subq=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:mixed-refs=1:weightb=0:merange=32 -v 1

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I am wrong, but some of these settings:

-X -Y define the maximum height and width. Using these, you don't have to worry whether the source is 16:9, 4:3 etc. It will scale according to the maximum height or width.
-q is the video quality
-B audio bitrate

-q and -B are probably the only setting you would want to change to increase/decrease audio and video bitrates.

A couple of issues:
refs=1 is the number of reference frames. Setting higher that one displays video on the J3, but does smear. I guess the J3 isn't powerful enough.
-detelecine (not in above setting) seems to play audio out of sync with video.

I'd be interested to know it these settings work for others or any recommendations on improving these settings. Once again, these settings only work on the J3. They will not work on the S9.
Pipkin is offline View Pipkin's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2010, 22:50   #2
SplashHunt

Send a message via MSN to SplashHunt

Sorry but I don't use this software.

I'm also looking for the best quality conversion. I don't want to lose quality because of space.
I Tried 3 Different softs. Badak,Super and Mediacoder.
I Got two files with Mediacoder but couldnt play it.
Between Badak and Super. Badak sound was much better. Image quality were almost same.

I will try different settings with mediacoder.
SplashHunt is offline View SplashHunt's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49   #3
SplashHunt

Send a message via MSN to SplashHunt

Ok here is what I got. Badak, Super and MediaCoder similar settings(XviD,Avi).
I Can't tell any diference of image quality.
Super sounds loud.

File Size.
Badak - 180MB 128Kbps(audio)
Media - 200MB 256Kbps(audio)
SUPER - 160MB 256Kbps(audio)

I Don't know why Im getting bad sound with SUPER. I Would recommend Badak and MediaCoder.Badak is limited to 128 Audio Bitrate. I Wanna test a 480p movie.
I Think I can get smaller files changing audio settings. It all depends on source. This test video is 64kbps audio. And I used 256kbps for settings.

Still need to find an ideal conversion.
SplashHunt is offline View SplashHunt's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 16:02   #4
mvmsbr

Default Alias for helping line command conversion

You could define an alias within .bashrc

alias hbj3='HandBrakeCLI -e x264 -q 23 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -6 dpl2 -R Auto -D 0.0 -f mp4 -X 480 -Y 272 -m -v --decomb -x level=30:cabac=0:ref=1:analyse=all:me=umh:psy-rd=0,0:bframes=0:weightp=0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trelli s=0:merange=32'

and use something like below for mass conversion

for file in *.mpg; do hbj3 -i "$file" -o "${file%*.mpg}.mp4"; done

or

for file in *.avi; do hbj3 -i "$file" -o "${file%*.avi}.mp4"; done
mvmsbr is offline View mvmsbr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58   #5
LikwidSkwiD
His master's voice

Hi, I am new to this forum, this is my first posting, so I would like to share my own personal "secret" with the tiny yet existing handbrake-user-crowd among the proud J3 owners
This is my preset I created after lots of experimenting looking for the very best video and quality combined with a reasonable file size (and conversion speed), to use it just copy and paste the following at the end of the "presets.xml" file located in "...\(user)\appdata\roaming\handbrake":

Code:
<Preset>
    <Category>Legacy</Category>
    <Name>COWON J3 HQ x264 Dolby-ProLogicII Widescreen</Name>
    <Query> -f mp4 -w 480 --decomb -e x264 -q 20 --vfr -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 256 -D 1 -m -x level=21:keyint=240:keyint-min=24:vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000:qpmin=10:qpmax=22:qcomp=0.8:rc-lookahead=60:ref=1:mixed-refs=1:bframes=0:weightb=0:weightp=0:mbtree=0:me=umh:subq=9:merange=32:analyse=all:8x8dct=0:cabac=0:trellis=0:psy-rd=1.0,0.0:no-fast-pskip=0:no-dct-decimate=1:deblock=-1,-1 -v 1</Query>
    <CropSettings>false</CropSettings>
    <Version>svn4103</Version>
    <Description />
    <IsBuildIn>true</IsBuildIn>
</Preset>
Be sure to put the correct "Version" in the corresponding field, especially if you use and/or upgrade a nightly build of Handbrake!
(If you are unsure just take a look at the version number in all the presets placed above in the xml-file and use the same)

These settings worked for every file a threw at it, the picture is crisp, smooth, no tearing, no smearing, just look for yourself.

Enjoy! ... and Handbrake FTW!!!11 heh heh

PS: Please excuse my bad english, spelling, grammar etc, I am no native speaker, thanks.
LikwidSkwiD is offline View LikwidSkwiD's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37   #6
Speedboy3

Uh... Thanks for the settings, but maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I put an .avi Simpsons episode through it, and it came out double the size.

Original: 23:09; 544x416; 23fps = 175mb
Final: 23:08; 480x368; 23fps = 335mb

It seems like it actually upsampled the audio/video, which is not a good thing... Any tips? I know nothing about video conversion, unfortunately. I'm just trying to get ready for a big trip in the next couple days.
Speedboy3 is offline View Speedboy3's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:23   #7
LikwidSkwiD
His master's voice

Yes, sorry my bad, I forgot to mention that it uses Dolby ProLogicII at 48/256k, because I mainly convert HD/Bluray movies which all are 5.1 or 7.1 surround encoded.
So you might want to change "dpl2" to "stereo" and "-B 256" to "-B 128".

But please remember, like the preset name says, it's intended for best quality, not smallest size, and if the source material is low quality/resolution already, this preset could be somewhat extreme or overkill...
LikwidSkwiD is offline View LikwidSkwiD's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 23:11   #8
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

out of curiosity i took the above and edited a lil to mono 128 and q25.
i noticed a bunch of settings in this one i didnt use myself and wanted to see the difference.

the video i tested on is just a lil streamed lowish quality freeride\downhill mtb vid.
the original filesize is 29.2mb flv format

the above setting modified for mono audio and quality dropped to 25 to match my own setting:
Quote:
-f mp4 -w 480 --decomb -e x264 -q 25 --vfr -a 1 -E faac -6 mono -R 44.1 -B 128 -D 1 -m -x level=21:keyint=240:keyint-min=24:vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000:qpmin=10:qpmax=22:qcomp=0.8:rc-lookahead=60:ref=1:mixed-refs=1:bframes=0:weightb=0:weightp=0:mbtree=0:me=u mh:subq=9:merange=32:analyse=all:8x8dct=0:cabac=0: trellis=0:psy-rd=1.0,0.0:no-fast-pskip=0:no-dct-decimate=1:deblock=-1,-1 -v 1
output filesize: 45mb

my own code:
Quote:
-f mp4 -e x264 -q 25 -r 25 -f mp4 -w 480 -l 272 -a 1 -E faac -6 mono -R 44.1 -B 128 -D 0 -m -x level=30:bframes=0:weightp=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=0,0:subq=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0 --verbose=1
output filesize 19.3mb

big difference in filesizes, and no real image issues with my own setting, so gonna have a lil watch of them in bed tonight with much interest and see how they compare.
i kind of stumbled into the settings i ended up using\keeping with little understanding of most of the code, it was mainly trial and error.
i need to note down the differences in code but i'm very interested in learning what those extra lines do and how it affects vid's from dvd format down to youtube levels.

i'll update this tomorow.

ok noticed my own settings are not quite so crisp in some details, not massive so but noticable. especially on the sunlit tall grass in the video.
also the saturation was less defined in strong colours, most noticable (to my eyes) on the bright reds.
its a great video to test with, lots of detailed backgrounds with fast panning to still shots and contrasting to subtle colour variations. not to mention the soft lines of nature vs hard edged detailed metalwork and logo's.

as the quality was set the same in both presets i'm gonna have to find out what the other code does and see if i can gain any improvement in those areas without increasing the filesizes too much.

Last edited by Enzyme; 03-14-2012 at 07:07..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote