iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > General Audio > Media Software

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2008, 21:38   #16
nila

As far as I know - Media Monkey doesn't have any particular error checking built in.
On a damaged CD it isn't going to be doing much to make sure it gets the best rip ever.

I still think EAC is the way everyone should be doing it just to be on the safe side!
nila is offline View nila's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-22-2008, 22:03   #17
doniago
I, Like, Do Stuff Here.

Send a message via ICQ to doniago Send a message via Yahoo to doniago

OTOH, sometimes EAC's detected errors and basically stalled out, while MM with no error-checking kept right on chugging along...if there was a problem I never heard it (yet anyway).
I still use EAC primarily, but MM's my secondary.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all."
doniago is offline View doniago's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 18:40   #18
aucutie

Default Oldie but a goodie

I still use Audiograbber to this day with LAME mp3 codec as the encoder... VERY fast and easy to use and FREE
aucutie is offline View aucutie's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 17:26   #19
tabv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
On PC I preferred dbpoweramp, it had a feature to compare rip results from an online database of rips... i think it was called acurip or something...

On mac I use "Max" with "cdParanoia", it's difficult to beat cdParanoia
I use dBoweramp also, awesome program. I used to use EAC but switched to dbpoweramp.

It's works great if you have scratched cd's. I have a cd that a few songs won't even play and dBpoweramp ripped it perfectly. It keeps ripping and re-ripping until it is secure. It took longer to rip than a unscratched cd but the final result was perfect.
What I REALLY like about dBpoweramp is the how it integrates into windows. If you hover your mouse over the music file info appears and tells you everything about the file and if you right click the file you can edit id tag right there w/o opening a program.
I've found it very useful for some tracks that have a problem showing album art or id tags wrong so I delete all the extra junk that has been stored in the id tag and a lot of the time that will correct the problem.
tabv is offline View tabv's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00   #20
TedJ
Spam in a Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap View Post
Oops missed your post before I posted on abcde, if you don't mind my asking could you tell me what made you switch to Max from abcde? TIA
I upgraded to a shiny new Macbook Pro last October and couldn't be bothered fiddling with fink or darwinports to get abcde running.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:07   #21
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucutie View Post
I still use Audiograbber to this day with LAME mp3 codec as the encoder... VERY fast and easy to use and FREE
Add me to this list (I know, this post and thread is fairly old, but I just discovered this forum).

I prefer Audiograbber's interface, for its simplicity and convenience. Less complex than EAC. I very much like its preview/player and selection GUI, and its ease of editing album/track fields (especially with compilations).

Also, my CD's are all purchased brand-new, and are not questionable or scratched. I've never been disappointed by the WAV ripped through Audiograbber, and the resulting MP3. So I'm not paranoid about the difference of WAV from Audigrabber vs. EAC.

I now also re-rip selected tracks to WAV-only (and do not delete) with Audiograbber and then use "FLAC Frontend" to encode WAV to FLAC (and then FLAC-tag with MP3TAG). Again, I prefer the user-friendly interface of Audiograbber for whatever my needs, WAV-only rip or complete rip/encode/tag to MP3.

The real reason I prefer Audiograbber to EAC is that the resulting ID3v1/ID3v2 tags come out fully complete and exactly as I want, with all fields properly filled in. I experimented a lot with EAC and just could not get the tags to automatically be produced to my satisfaction.

NOTE: while of late I've learned to like and use MP3Tag for assorted tagging needs (since it supports FLAC as well as imbedded album art if I want to do that), for MP3-only tagging I actually prefer MP3-Tag/Studio for MP3-only tagging needs (it does not support any other music file format, nor does it support imbedded album art).

Maybe I've just used it for so long (discovering it after much research many years ago) that I'm used to it. I very much like its GUI and available functionality. The fact that it doesn't support imbedded album art is really of no concern to me for MP3, since I use the "cover.jpg" in album folder approach exclusively since that works fine for my music collection's organization.
DSperber is offline View DSperber's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 16:24   #22
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

ok tried eac after seeing it's highly praised but it just wont run without freezing on my win7 64 rig, been through the eac forum and followed all the fix's but they didnt work either, so i guess thats out.

next up was db converter with AccurateRip...it seems to think 185GB is not enough space to install ><

sooo...

can anyone suggest an accurate alternative.

the situation:
i have a friend who has released a few cd's and was interested in hearing the quality of the dt880's, so i wanted to provide the best possible rip for her to trial them, i'm thinking she knows her own voice\music better than any other cd so i wanted to use that as a test file.

are there any options out there that employ software like AccurateRip and actually work on a 764 rig?
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 18:59   #23
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzyme View Post
can anyone suggest an accurate alternative.
Is there really a need for a "super-accurate" mechanism? With a newly purchased CD and modern CD/DVD/BD drive, is there actually any risk whatsoever that there will actually be any read-errors?

And even if so, would there be an audibly discernible difference? Could you actually ever hear it if a bit or byte got dropped somehow that the hardware/software you're using didn't already self-correct for?

I mean people talk all the time about doing ABX comparisons of high-quality MP3 from varying encoding parameters vs. FLAC. Their point is that "most humans can't tell the difference", so you might as well use lossy MP3 instead of lossless original-quality FLAC/WAV. In my mind if file size is no object I personally think the discussion is pointless, as there could never be any justification for not just using the original CD WAV/FLAC version and get that 100% guaranteed original sound, which MP3 is only "simulating" (quite well even).

Anyway, if humans can't distinguish between highest-quality VBR MP3 produced by LAME and pure lossless bit-for-bit original-quality FLAC, how can anyone claim to be bothered by "accurate rip" from EAC vs. "probably 99.999999% identical rip" from Audiograbber or similar? Could you actually ABX results from these two rippers and tell me you could really tell the difference? I don't believe it.

I'm still a perfectly satisfied fan of Audiograbber for all of my MP3/FLAC work. I never cared for EAC because it just wasn't as "friendly" as Augiograbber (which I'd started with, so maybe I was biased).

Might as well use the tool that's most convenient, when the results are 100% satisfactory. Can't beat the user-friendliness of Audiograbber, and it can invoke both LAME and FLAC.
Old 02-28-2012, 20:29   #24
Enzyme

so long as it's accurate and not corrupted i'm happy, i took a look around the eac website and it kind of sucked me into the whole super accuracy thing with images of craggy wave files and lots of blah blah.
that and a recent rip i made using (i think) media monkey of another cd, had a kind of shallowness of sound, i owned that cd a long time ago and re-purchased it, but this cd was a different release (same cd but a different cover etc), that might play a part.
i just assumed it was the way i'd handled the last rip.

i'll give audio grabber a shot and see how it goes.

thanks for replying, much appreciated
Old 02-28-2012, 22:16   #25
DSperber
Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzyme View Post
... and a recent rip i made using (i think) media monkey of another cd, had a kind of shallowness of sound, i owned that cd a long time ago and re-purchased it, but this cd was a different release (same cd but a different cover etc), that might play a part.
i just assumed it was the way i'd handled the last rip.
Well, I would venture to blame the MP3 encoding (assuming you encoded to MP3 rather than FLAC) method and parameters, rather than the rip from CD, as the culprit. The encoding is FAR more significant a factor in the rip/encode method.

However you rip, when you encode to MP3 I'd suggest using LAME 3.99.4 as the "external encoder", rather than some older version or some built-in stripped-down version in some product.

Also, if you want the absolute highest-quality possible audio sound from your LAME result, I'd recommend using nothing more than the -V0 parameter. This assumes "best quality" defaults for all other options, so your resulting MP3 will be in VBR form (rather than CBR form, so it's smaller for the same or better quality depending on your specified CBR bitrate).

If you make a number of different MP3's from the same sample CD track, using different encoding parameters for each MP3, you will see for yourself that given the same constant CD and sample track to experiment with, that the encoding parameters can make a big big difference... with -V0 being very likely the undisputed "best sounding" in a controlled A/B comparison test.

I honestly can't believe that there's anything but a possible purely technical microscopic difference in ripping results. If people who tout MP3 claiming "most humans can't hear the difference" between good but still lossy and non-original MP3 and FLAC take that position on that encoding argument, how can they also insist that you should use only "accurate rip" to guarantee "absolutely perfect CD-to-WAV" in the rip going into a lossy MP3 encode?

My personal preference: easy-to-use Audiograbber ripping what probably is virtually always a 100% perfect result, into lossless FLAC encode... for my "favorite favorites" where presumed "perfect, lossless" audio quality is of maximum importance to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 23:27   #26
Enzyme

ive always tended to lean towards low compression 48khz ogg if i'm using lossy, to me it has a certain earthy quality in the tones compared to mp3's which to me sound bright, both good points for different genre's and im sure i'll be told i'm suffering placebo but i'm happy to live in ignorance over that one.

it may well be down to both the high quality headphones i have naturally having a certain 'bright' sound signature that works well with the ogg.
more so with the ultimate ears but the dt880's have a nasty dip and spike at the high end thats hard to eq away with the 5 band without losing detail elsewhere.

and yeah i also live in ignorance over the flac\mp3 dilema, to me flac is a much more developed sound which i treasure on certain files, but not on all, there i can hear that mp3 matches closer to the original flac it's taken from with it's brightness.

but then i dont rip so many cd's and downloads are in the hands of the ripper, i just convert the exess flac's to ogg where space saving calls.

it seems obvious that the lossy codec producers constantly push the limits of compression without "major noticable" loss in quality, to some that is going to be 'slightly noticable'.

it's great to have and use but not in every circumstance.

[EDIT]
hmm this may shed some light on that brightness thing, its some ogg\mp3\original file frequency loss graph from a not so expert tester who decided to use vbr mp3 vs cbr ogg on a high tech test. ....for some reason :\

Last edited by Enzyme; 02-29-2012 at 00:21..
Old 08-19-2012, 21:48   #27
Laz Baz

Quote:
Filename tab:
  • Naming Scheme: %N - %T
  • Various Artists Naming Scheme: %N - %A - %T
  • A single space on both sides of a hyphen. No leading or trailing spaces.
  • Do not use the file naming scheme to define folder names. This will cause problems with the cue sheet and playlist.

Does not allow above naming scheme. Message is illegal file name. How to get round this?
Laz Baz is offline View Laz Baz's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 21:09   #28
LaMarcus

Any tips how to modify EAC using LAME for seamless transition between tracks?
Music UI | Aero Music

LaMarcus is offline View LaMarcus's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 22:36   #29
andrew_berge
Audio Enthusiast

As far as i know, you shouldn't need any additional setup because you're using LAME.

Anywho, when i set up EAC i use this guide.
I rip to FLAC, which i would strongly advise you to do also, so that, should you change your mind about compression settings, you don't have to rerip your whole collection in the future. I've seen people on forums who were kind of upset to hear that they had to rerip their 500 cd collections

However, if you still want to rip to lossy, that guide has a section just for you.

CD Ripper | Tagger -| - - - Album Art - -- | -- Player--
andrew_berge is offline View andrew_berge's Photo Album   Reply With Quote