iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon C2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2012, 17:04   #1
marcusgi

Default microsdhc class (speed)

Thinking of getting a C2 to replace my D2. Other than initial load of the mp3's, do you think I really need a class 10 card? There are many 32gb class 4 cards on amazon for about $30 the class 10 are $50+. Would it make any difference in the videos or startup time? Not that I probably would watch videos on such a small device. Thanks.
marcusgi is offline View marcusgi's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2012, 06:22   #2
Sgt. Pepper

My card is a 32gb class 4 and has no problems at all. no playback issues and no browsing issues. No problems adding and removing files while connected to pc VIA usb.

So no, you don't need a class 10 at all, class 4 will work just fine

hope that helps
Sgt. Pepper is offline View Sgt. Pepper's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38   #3
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

only difference is in the transfer speeds to the device as far as i know, couldnt comment on video playback etc.
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58   #4
AshenTech

video will play fine from class 4 just dont try and run HD video from class4 many of those cards BARELY reach class 4 speeds, check newegg and some other sites not just amazon, I got my 32gb class10 for around the same price as a class2 or 4 card at the time(thanks to a daily deal)

I will say this, the reader in the c2 is better then the one in the d2, loading up the card is faster, BUT if your d2 is a 16gb, just get a card for it, you can even use an adapter like i did with my d2(till a dog aite the player), i went microsdhc because it wasnt much more at the time and would work in newer devices if i got one, glad i did now...

that said, a 32gb class10 fullsize card is CHEAP these days, and with your d2 would be a good combo....

i honestly miss my d2+, damn good little player, one nice thing about the d2/d2+ is that they are very easy to work on, if the batt needs replaced its CAKE to put a newer and better one in.

oh and yes, db refresh is faster on class 10 vs class2 and class4, tested a few cards I had (8gb cards all with same data) the class10 is noticeably faster for db refresh(in the c2) the d2+, my class 10 32gb card refreshed a bit faster then my class 6 16gb card, despite having around 2x the data, but that class 6 card im talking about is SLOW for class6, most times its more like something between 2 and 4....but i got it super cheap so im not gonna complain
AshenTech is offline View AshenTech's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 16:30   #5
KsidE

Just for reference, I bought a HAMA class 10 SDHC 32GB card and the speed (using external-reader) is ~12 MB/s for writing and above 20 MB for reading.

Using the D2 as reader (card mounted inside) the max writing speed is just above 4 MB/s.
A class-4 SDHC means that you have the same speed, no matter if you use it internally or via an external reader.
KsidE is offline View KsidE's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 17:55   #6
Rodster

I also use a Class 4 MicroSD card and have absolutely NO issues with music and videos. In fact I have read that some have experienced choppiness and stuttering on playback videos with certain Class 10 cards.

I would only buy a Class 10 card if it was priced cheaper than a Class 4 card.
Rodster is offline View Rodster's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 20:14   #7
AshenTech

so if a class 10 was the same price as a class4, you wouldnt buy it.....strange.....

that said, I find it handy to be able to very quickly load up my sd card using a card reader then plug it back into whatever player im using...

the fact is 32gb full sd cards arent pricy at the moment, class 10 or slower dosnt make that big a dif from what i been seeing (price wise)

depends on the kind of device your gonna use.

I have seen issues with video and wav format audio files off class 4 cards where a class 6 or better did not have the issue, granted only a moron is gonna carry around uncompressed wave files......(look at head-fi, they got some people that think flac isnt really lossless....) but still to me....I will keep my class10, if i get another it may be slower but I will be sure tonly put stuff on it im not gonna change out offten, because loading files on a 32gb card at class 2 or 4 speeds is torture....
AshenTech is offline View AshenTech's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 20:26   #8
nsxviper

You should be concerned more about random read speeds. Speeds varies among different companies, but the difference isn't that significant. Just watch out for counterfeit ones.

Get class 10 only if you care about faster transfer rate and if the price is lower than class 4. Normally Class 10 cards are used for digital cameras. Some class 6 cards do better than class 10 cards for random read speeds.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,3011-12.html

Old Stuff
Cowon D2 16GB| Atrio M5 - Broke =( | UE Super.fi 5 Pros - Sold | Sharp HP-MD33S | FiiO E3 & E5 | Creative Zen Micro 5GB
nsxviper is offline View nsxviper's Photo Album   Reply With Quote