iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon D3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2011, 07:24   #16
Elgan

.31, music play still not smooth here. :\

i also noticed the search is missing. quite difficult to find a certain song.

my most annoying thing at the moment, is the scanning, i like to turn off the player and again onin the morning, have to wait for the scan to finish 31gb of songs, so that i can then play one. once its done, its awesome!
Elgan is offline View Elgan's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-10-2011, 17:50   #17
4DThinker

You might try leaving it in airplane mode with the screen off overnite, Elgan. Shouldn't tax the battery too much and would save that database update time in the morning. That brings up one more thing Cowon could add... a deep sleep mode. The Archos gen8 players have that. It turns off everything but the little led light, and lets them "wake up" in a second.
4DThinker is offline View 4DThinker's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:33   #18
Headcased
You Know When You've Been Headcased

yes sleep mode would make sense and a reboot mode too
Headcased is offline View Headcased's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:26   #19
roebeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
Thanks for all your work, roebeet. Is there any way to simplify the process down to an APK install?

Looks like Cowon finally fixed the music app hiccups in 3.31.
- I'd still love to have gapless playback though.
- It would also be nice to have full-screen album art.
- Another flaw is that Search doesn't have an option for searching through songs.
- The D3 doesn't have an external search button like most android devices do. It would be nice to have one in the Music app.
- and just in case Cowon is watching: I appreciate the work you've done so far. Keep it up!
If Cowon would unlock their recovery (hint hint Cowon you reading this?) then I could just bake my own ROM and deploy it. Would make this process a lot easier. Unfortunately, Cowon is following Archos' playbook on ROM lockdown.

Is there a quick sleep mode? I haven't found it yet but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Usually it's a short tap on the power button, but that just locks the screen.

roebeet is offline View roebeet's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04   #20
Elgan

what about the "clock " app? love it, but is it sleeping at all? probably not.

at the moment turn on, do my stuff, breakfast and then come back to it.

would be nice to just have it save its scan.. :\
Old 03-11-2011, 21:51   #21
adrianv04

Thanks again, Roebeet - I just got this working and I'm now feeling like I have an Android device

I am LOVING listening to Pandora with a little Cowon audio enhancement!

Actually, for all D3 users that love the lag on the device - I installed winamp from the Market, and it has ZERO lag. It goes through all songs and albums very smoothly and quickly. I actually really recommend that all of you that get the Market hack working download winamp (I haven't tried any others) just because the speed difference really is THAT noticeable.

And since everything on the D3 has the benefit of BBE and all that Cowon has to offer, using winamp right now until they really make the native Music app more efficient is a highly recommended alternative.

So, for what it's worth, it seems like Cowon just needs to optimize their code a bit. I got pretty frustrated when I was showing a friend the D3 and it lagged like no one's business, but seeing its performance with other music apps, it's becoming more and more clear that it's a software optimization issue going on (Cowon, if you do scour these sites, please optimize your code!).

Couple of quick questions for you, Roebeet -

1) Do the Google services that continuously run affect battery life much? I don't really care as I'm always on my computer at work and can plug it in to charge, but it'd just be good to know. I'd be curious to forward my traffic through a proxy to see how much activity the G services produce.

2) Do you think, based on your experience with other Android devices, that applications will have compatibility issues as firmware updates are released? I ask because I had a Facebook app I got the APK for prior to this Market hack that worked, then after a firmware update, it ceased to function.

Again, thanks a lot!!

Last edited by adrianv04; 03-11-2011 at 22:28..
adrianv04 is offline View adrianv04's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 22:00   #22
skai

roebeet, I don't know if this is the same thing as sleep mode, but I use it all the time on my D3. If you press the (power) hold button twice within 2 secs, the device locks and the screen goes off. The good thing about this is that any music you have playing will still work, and the next, previous, and pause buttons still work. Once you pause a song in this mode you will need to turn the device back on first before being able to use the hard buttons again.
skai is offline View skai's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 22:13   #23
adrianv04

Quote:
Originally Posted by skai View Post
roebeet, I don't know if this is the same thing as sleep mode, but I use it all the time on my D3. If you press the (power) hold button twice within 2 secs, the device locks and the screen goes off. The good thing about this is that any music you have playing will still work, and the next, previous, and pause buttons still work. Once you pause a song in this mode you will need to turn the device back on first before being able to use the hard buttons again.
skai, you're right. From page 8 of the Cowon D3 user manual:

"3. Sleep Mode: Within 2 seconds of entering into hold status, pressing the Power / Hold button again changes the device to lock screen status. With this status, waiting for a couple of seconds or pressing the Power / Hold button once again turns the device into sleep mode"

A deep sleep mode would be great for overnight if you're not near a charger, but I've kept mine in sleep mode overnight and woke up with plenty of battery for the day.
Old 03-11-2011, 23:59   #24
roebeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skai View Post
Good tip, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianv04 View Post
Couple of quick questions for you, Roebeet -

1) Do the Google services that continuously run affect battery life much? I don't really care as I'm always on my computer at work and can plug it in to charge, but it'd just be good to know. I'd be curious to forward my traffic through a proxy to see how much activity the G services produce.

2) Do you think, based on your experience with other Android devices, that applications will have compatibility issues as firmware updates are released? I ask because I had a Facebook app I got the APK for prior to this Market hack that worked, then after a firmware update, it ceased to function.

Again, thanks a lot!!
1) I think they do, and it's why I made this a "minimalist" Gapps version - just the Market and nothing else. Once you start adding things like Gmail and syncing, these things tend to stay in memory.

2) Very possible, and it will likely become a problem as time goes on. This device is 2.1 based - a year ago that was fine, but in the here and now most devices are 2.2 or higher. As devs update apps or create new ones, 2.1 is not going to be an SDK version that they are going to be testing on.

Last edited by roebeet; 03-12-2011 at 00:06..
roebeet is offline View roebeet's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 14:08   #25
simmo

Well I would be happy.....well happier, if the D3 could cope with playing an hour of video without it freezing. Not a big ask really cowon for 279, is it
simmo is offline View simmo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 16:24   #26
adrianv04

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
Well I would be happy.....well happier, if the D3 could cope with playing an hour of video without it freezing. Not a big ask really cowon for 279, is it
I've only had video issues when I had it output to HDMI, but after a factory reset and format, it's been doing just fine. You should give that a shot and see how your D3 fares after that.
Old 03-12-2011, 18:10   #27
simmo

Thanks adrian however I had followed the factory reset instructions along with installation of FW Eu 2.31, after playing for about 45 minutes continuously vid stopped and audio went into constant skip just as with previous FW. The video it stopped on plays fine previously and after so not the vid.

Therefore as far as i am concerned 2.31 still hasn't fixed vid as stated :-
Improved video playback of 1080p high resolution video files.
Fixed the error that video playback stopped in temporary high bit sections.

Last edited by simmo; 03-13-2011 at 09:06..
Old 03-12-2011, 18:46   #28
Elgan

edit:

Last edited by Elgan; 03-12-2011 at 20:40..
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51   #29
simmo

After a further reset to factory defaults, formatting and reinstalling the media files I had more video freeze ups today. 2 resets required in a 1hr15min bike session quite disappointing really. Forget the market cowon get the basics right first, my patience is wearing thin!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 22:09   #30
adrianv04

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
After a further reset to factory defaults, formatting and reinstalling the media files I had more video freeze ups today. 2 resets required in a 1hr15min bike session quite disappointing really. Forget the market cowon get the basics right first, my patience is wearing thin!!!!
Sorry to hear that, simmo. You may try contacting Cowon directly to see if you can replace your unit - maybe there's some defect for which they can provide a replacement.

I would have suggested trying another video app, as this is a thread for the working Market hack, but I haven't tried any other video players. From what some buddies tell me, there aren't really any GREAT video apps for Android, which is why they were pretty interested when I showed them my D3 playing everything I threw at it flawlessly over HDMI.