iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon D3

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2011, 22:06   #1
roebeet

Default Working Market hack (requires adb and root)

Unfortunately, it's not a simple firmware update solution - but it does work. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, as always.

Pre-req: You need adb working (from the SDK). I won't got into that here, suffice it to say that it's required. I've written this with a Linux user in mind, but you'd need to just change "/.adb" to "adb.exe" for Windows. The device also needs to be rooted.

Working Market (3.33 based) File download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mbpuj2c8h3mc3v3
md5sum: b538458a6206b60fe7168291a54eebd5

Working Market (3.31 based) File download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2b8usvv8r47cnnl
md5sum: f7cf27c8873bcf9e0b6a6871f2ad1ab3

Working Market (3.29 based) File download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9mdwhg5w6935yic
md5sum: 2cc68085e87e0200af4638c03e1ad779

=====================

Instructions:

- Extract the zip to a temp folder. I suggest putting it as a "temp"subfolder under your adb folder. I am writing this with that in mind.
- Open up TWO terminal sessions, pointing to your adb folder (it's just easier that way)
- Root the device with z4root and Superuser, if you haven't already done so.

In terminal one, run this:

Code:
./adb shell
su
chmod 777 /system/build.prop
chmod 777 /system/lib
chmod 777 /system/app
chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions
chmod 777 /system/framework
(this preps the device for the file copies)

In terminal two, run this:

Code:
./adb push ./temp/gapps /system
(Where "temp" is your temp folder with the gapps folder being the one from the zip. Windows users need to alter this as needed - no forward slashes or slashdots for you).

- In terminal one, run this:

Code:
chmod 644 /system/build.prop
chmod 755 /system/lib
chmod 755 /system/app
chmod 755 /system/etc/permissions
chmod 755 /system/framework
chown root.root /system/framework/framework.jar
chmod 644 /system/framework/framework.jar
(this cleans up most of the file permissions, but not all of them. There's something that I can't clean up but I haven't pinned it down, yet)

- Reboot the device. You might get an "SDK" popup on the first boot. Just click on it and it will go away.

- Run the Market, add your Google ID, and download a free application ASAP. The reason why is because this is running the "non-ugly" Market hack, found over on Slatedroid.com. It requires a free app download / install BEFORE the Market updates itself. If you miss the window and it does update itself, you can delete the update in Settings -- Appliations -- Manage Application -- Market (delete the app) and re-try the Market again.

I know this is messy, but it does work. Tested (and based on) firmware 3.29, btw. After each Cowon firmware update, I'll probably need to update this because the build.prop is actually being changed, too.

Backout:

If something goes amiss and you can't boot up, just hit the reset button and then hold the play/pause button for about ten seconds - this will run recovery. You'll probably see the "!" and you just need to touch the home key and follow the instructions. I usually use the firmware backup option - that will re-flash your device and your system should be back to stock. In recovery, the home button toggles the text on and off, volume keys are up / down and the play/pause key is "enter".

Screenshot:

Last edited by roebeet; 04-01-2011 at 18:52.. Reason: 3.33 mod
roebeet is offline View roebeet's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2011, 22:32   #2
4DThinker

Hot Dang, Roebeet! I knew it wouldn't take you long once you had your own D3 to work on. Now if only I could follow the steps. No dev am I. Windows Security Essentials red-flagged your download as a potential threat and removed it. Mentioned "rageagainstthecage" or somesuch.
4DThinker is offline View 4DThinker's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 22:39   #3
roebeet

I also put z4root and Superuser in the ZIP - it's probably flagging z4root ("rageagainstthecage" is another Android apk for root access).

Darn anti-virus programs! Again, apologies that this hack is so cryptic - the problem here is that Cowon really REALLY did a bang-up job to lock this down as best as they could. Normally I would just whip-up a ROM replacement and you'd run that, but their recovery is doing a certificate verification. I also tried fastboot and that didn't work out too well, so far (semi-bricked the device, but recovery was still working so I fixed it).

If I can get fastboot to access a system.img, that might be a way for users to get mods - but it would still need adb.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:43   #4
4DThinker

The D3 doesn't run Angry Birds without problems. You know that has to be some of their reasoning behind locking off market access. Imagine the support demand when a long list of common android apps that run fine on everything else starts proving it won't run right on the D3. Looks like my Archos 43 will remain king-of-the-lab (A Bones reference) until they throw 2.2 (or 2.3 or 2.4) on it and stop this nonsense.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01   #5
Elgan

fantastic work.
Elgan is offline View Elgan's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:59   #6
Headcased
You Know When You've Been Headcased

agreed
congrats robeet
rageaginstthecage is used to root the D3 whilst it may may be used for mallsious purpose in this case it is not, its need to install gapps.
Headcased is offline View Headcased's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:27   #7
adrianv04

Thanks for this!!!

I'm going to get this going after doing a factory reset (D3's been having stability issues with video through HDMI lately) and firmware update. Looks pretty simple, though, thanks!
adrianv04 is offline View adrianv04's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 16:01   #8
globiboulga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
The D3 doesn't run Angry Birds without problems. You know that has to be some of their reasoning behind locking off market access. Imagine the support demand when a long list of common android apps that run fine on everything else starts proving it won't run right on the D3. Looks like my Archos 43 will remain king-of-the-lab (A Bones reference) until they throw 2.2 (or 2.3 or 2.4) on it and stop this nonsense.
That's if we assume software developers support the Telechip chip. My view is that a majority will not unfortunately...

Great hack. I'll give it a go, if I can get access through the console. Not working at the moment...
Old 03-05-2011, 17:00   #9
adrianv04

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
That's if we assume software developers support the Telechip chip. My view is that a majority will not unfortunately...
I agree with globiboulga - this isn't a Cowon decision specifically to not support Angry Birds or some other apps, but the developers simply have not built compatibility in their apps for the Telechip processors.

From looking at their specs, it looks like the processors are pretty solid, it's just a matter of Android development becoming a bit less hardware-specific. Maybe with later versions of Android that will become less of an issue.
Old 03-05-2011, 18:38   #10
adrianv04

I rebuilt the build.prop file to try and match it up to FW 1.31 that was just released, but I'm having no luck getting it to work. I'm not too familiar with Android, so I'm not sure what else you did that I'm missing to have this work on the 1.31 firmware
Old 03-06-2011, 19:04   #11
miykael

Thanks for the hack, it worked great for me!

miykael is offline View miykael's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 23:36   #12
roebeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianv04 View Post
I rebuilt the build.prop file to try and match it up to FW 1.31 that was just released, but I'm having no luck getting it to work. I'm not too familiar with Android, so I'm not sure what else you did that I'm missing to have this work on the 1.31 firmware
There's actually going to be two issues everytime there's a new firmware, with this:

- The build.prop, as I mentioned. What you can do is pull the new build.prop into this hack, and then just add the last lines on my build.prop (at the bottom) to the new build.prop. That part shouldn't be too difficult.

- The framework.jar. This file is a replacement I created and is needed for the Market hack to work. This was built off the 3.29 firmware, so newer firmware might have issues IF that file was touched by Cowon.

My short-term plan is to build out a new version everytime the NA version is updated - I'll need this for myself as well, as I upgrade my own device.

Old 03-08-2011, 23:07   #13
adrianv04

Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
- The build.prop, as I mentioned. What you can do is pull the new build.prop into this hack, and then just add the last lines on my build.prop (at the bottom) to the new build.prop. That part shouldn't be too difficult.

- The framework.jar. This file is a replacement I created and is needed for the Market hack to work. This was built off the 3.29 firmware, so newer firmware might have issues IF that file was touched by Cowon.
There were some other variables in the build.prop that referenced a specific firmware (3.29 vs. 1.31), so I changed those, too. But, I didn't know about the framework.jar changes. I'll check things out if I find some extra time before you release a newer update - work has been crazy!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23   #14
roebeet

CONFIRMED that there were changes to the the framework.jar between 3.29 and 3.31. You should NOT use the 3.29 Market hack on 3.31 - I'm working on a new hack zip.

I opened up the framework.jar file between the two and did a diff - several smali's were changed.

Old 03-10-2011, 00:29   #15
4DThinker

Thanks for all your work, roebeet. Is there any way to simplify the process down to an APK install?

Looks like Cowon finally fixed the music app hiccups in 3.31.
- I'd still love to have gapless playback though.
- It would also be nice to have full-screen album art.
- Another flaw is that Search doesn't have an option for searching through songs.
- The D3 doesn't have an external search button like most android devices do. It would be nice to have one in the Music app.
- and just in case Cowon is watching: I appreciate the work you've done so far. Keep it up!