iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > iAudio 7

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2009, 09:19   #1
r4ster

Default Bricked iAudio7 solution.

I don't really know how to begin.
So, there was a time, when I tried to upgrade the firmware in my iAudio7, but, it suddenly crashed at flashing, and I ended up with dead player. After a long research I found this post http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7 which, barely ressurected my i7.
Barely, because, finally the display appeared, but it was stuck at Starting window. I finally managed to flash a new firmware, after copying the firmware files to root folder and using tcctool to boot it up again (which led to flashing firmware window appearing once again). It did work, however, the fonts were missing, so I managed to download the iaudio7 font. It brought the fonts back, but I had some display errors, which I have finally fixed.
So, this is step by step, how I done that:
(three following steps will be directly copied from http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7 )

Instructions for using tcctool with Windows XP for a I7 that is BRICKED and will not turn on at all.

Step 1
Download the tcctool from here and extract it to your hard drive. Copy the I7_FW.bin file to the created tcctool folder to make things easier.

Step 2
Enter the usb boot mode by holding down the 'mode/menu' button while plugging in the USB connector[1]. The wizard window should appear (new hardware detected).

Perform the following:
  • Select "No, not at this time" to the question about connecting to Windows Update.
  • Click "Next" to continue.
  • Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
  • Click "Next" to continue
  • Select "Search for the best driver in these locations"
  • Unselect "Search removable media"
  • Browse to the tcctool folderand select the tcctool-driver-win32 folder.
  • Click the "Next" Button
  • You should get a Window that States "Please wait while the Wizard installs the software (TCC7801 usb-boot mode).
  • Click "Finish"

Step 3
Start a command propt (Click Start > Run cmd) and change to the tcctool folder
Code:
 cd PATH\TO\TCCTOOL\FOLDER
run tcctool (assuming you copied the I7_FW.bin file to the same folder tcctool is located in)
Code:
tcctool.exe -d iaudio7 I7_FW.bin
You should get something that looks like this in the command prompt window:
Code:
tcctool v0.1 - (C) 2007 Dave Chapman
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[INFO] Using device "iAudio 7"
[INFO] Searching for TCC device...
[INFO] Found TCC device, uploading application.
[INFO] Patching application uploaded successfully!
Step 4
Download this file (It is 1.17 firmware and fontfix thrown into one folder), extract it, and copy these 3 files onto your i7 root folder

Step 5
Now plug your i7 out. If it didn't start firmware flashing, try to power it on, if it didn't start firmware flashing either, plug it once again in usb boot mode. Now it should begin to flash the firmware.

Step 6
Once it's done flashing. Power your i7 on, and Voila, you've done it.

*Note* The tcctool is not mine, neither are first 3 steps of this tutorial, I`ve just thrown together part of my job, and part of someone's job, so it's easier for people.

Cheers, r4ster.
r4ster is offline View r4ster's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-18-2009, 17:14   #2
WalkGood
*^*

r4ster nice to read that you un bricked your i7, thanks for posting a tutorial too. I have read before that one can un-brick either the i7 or the d2 with tcctools here and on rockbox.org but have not yet had to use it.

i7 Summary| ue11 Review | ue11 One Year Later | Pico Slim | Pico Portable | Woo Audio 6 Amp

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-18-2009 at 17:24..
WalkGood is offline View WalkGood's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:23   #3
Shantz

Hi,
The instructions were very useful but now I don't have the fonts and the archive from this post is not on rapidshare anymore.
Can someone please provide a link for this?
Thanks!
Shantz is offline View Shantz's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:59   #4
WalkGood
*^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantz View Post
Hi,
The instructions were very useful but now I don't have the fonts and the archive from this post is not on rapidshare anymore.
Can someone please provide a link for this?
Thanks!
Download the tcctool and for the tutorial click here.

i7 Summary| ue11 Review | ue11 One Year Later | Pico Slim | Pico Portable | Woo Audio 6 Amp

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-26-2009 at 07:03..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59   #5
Clusterthug

Hey! My iAudio7 (16GB) bricked some time ago (or at least i hope it "just" bricked and is not ruined at all). I tried doing the tcctool thing and it got me as far as my player showing the starting screen again. But at that point, it freezes. There's about a second of animation and then nothing. At the same time, my PC (OS is Vista) tells me there's a new storage device that doesn't work properly and needs to be formatted. If I click on format, it just says there's no storage device inserted (or at least i think that's what it would say in english - I'm german and so is my OS ). Still, the iAudio is shown in the explorer, clicking on it doesn't help however, just leaves me with "no storage media found...". So, although I can get it to almost start up again, I can't really get to the point where I could put the firmware bin-files on the player - or change anything on my iaudio for that matter. To me, it seems like the problem is with windows vista thinking the player needed to be formatted. I've tried plugging it into a macbook, which simply didn't do anything at all and I've tried with an XP-machine, but a pretty unstable, buggy one, so that doesn't really count - amd led to nothing as well. Any ideas on what to change on my computer to make it accept the iaudio?
Clusterthug is offline View Clusterthug's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04   #6
FreshPrince

Hey guys!

My menu looks like a single white stripe after the starting screen. (broken fonts?)
Whenever i connect my player to a pc an "internal storage" is detected with a "record" folder and nothing else. Putting the firmware files onto the device didn't change anything.

So i can't follow the solution guide because the iaudio is not detected as a drive.(maybe the usb mode is simply changed)but nothing's readable without fonts

please :-)

Last edited by FreshPrince; 09-27-2009 at 11:22..
FreshPrince is offline View FreshPrince's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 15:31   #7
carew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterthug View Post
Hey! My iAudio7 (16GB) bricked some time ago (or at least i hope it "just" bricked and is not ruined at all). I tried doing the tcctool thing and it got me as far as my player showing the starting screen again. But at that point, it freezes. There's about a second of animation and then nothing. At the same time, my PC (OS is Vista) tells me there's a new storage device that doesn't work properly and needs to be formatted. If I click on format, it just says there's no storage device inserted (or at least i think that's what it would say in english - I'm german and so is my OS ). Still, the iAudio is shown in the explorer, clicking on it doesn't help however, just leaves me with "no storage media found...". So, although I can get it to almost start up again, I can't really get to the point where I could put the firmware bin-files on the player - or change anything on my iaudio for that matter. To me, it seems like the problem is with windows vista thinking the player needed to be formatted. I've tried plugging it into a macbook, which simply didn't do anything at all and I've tried with an XP-machine, but a pretty unstable, buggy one, so that doesn't really count - amd led to nothing as well. Any ideas on what to change on my computer to make it accept the iaudio?
got the same problem.
stuck in the starting window, that's why i cant copy thos 3 files at step 4..
hope for help..

Last edited by carew; 11-01-2009 at 01:08..
carew is offline View carew's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04   #8
Doispe

Same problem here.
Doispe is offline View Doispe's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 16:42   #9
WalkGood
*^*

If you are still looking for the fonts, click on “I&_FO.BIN” here for the iAudio7font.rar I had updated the link and the fontfix is no longer on that link :/

Last edited by WalkGood; 01-05-2011 at 09:39..
Old 11-20-2009, 08:39   #10
Doispe

Well, the last resort for me was to send it to the retailer, which exchanged it with a brand new one.
Those un-bricking solutions didn't work for me..
Doispe is offline View Doispe's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40   #11
WalkGood
*^*

Can someone please upload the fontfix in step 4 as it's no longer there, trying to help someone out, thanks!

Edit: I found it, ignore my post ...

Last edited by WalkGood; 01-05-2011 at 13:30..
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58   #12
Ambious

I just HAD to register to this forum to thank you!
I accidentally bricked my brother's I7 and this solution fixed it all!
(Just a note, tried it on Windows 7 and it blocked the driver because of lack of signature, windows XP worked great).

Thank you thank you thank you!
Ambious is offline View Ambious's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58   #13
djchristian

Well my iaudio 7 just crashed when flashing. I don't have XP but i do have a XP iso image and a virtualbox. Is it possible to run tcctools from inside there?
djchristian is offline View djchristian's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 20:04   #14
Firehawk

Holy fucking shit!
You fixed my iAudio 7. You've done it. I already had it on ebay.
And now it's fully working again. I really cannot believe it. Thanks so much.

some additional hints:
1. [Note for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users] i have found out that tcctool doesn't work and is unable to find the J3 while accepting to use Tcctool for Unbricking your J3. reboot PC and hit F8 before Vista or Win. 7 boot logo appears. There will be several options. Select [Disable driver signature enforcement] and that should allow you to use Tcctool. You'll have to do this step everytime if you want to use Tcctool though (source)

2. Download the iAudio7 1.17 firmware (e.g. from the German site) - contains I7_FW.BIN and I7_RS.BIN

3. If you're experiencing some font display errors (like white stripes), download the I7_FO.BIN and dump it with the two other files in the root folder. Then start the firmware update.

Last edited by Firehawk; 02-14-2012 at 03:55..
Firehawk is offline View Firehawk's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53   #15
nulda

Hi,
I have a problem. After successfully firmware upgrade my iAudio 7 wont start. It is same before use tcctool. Can you advice me? Thanks
nulda is offline View nulda's Photo Album   Reply With Quote