iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > iAudio 7

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2009, 09:19   #1
r4ster

Default Bricked iAudio7 solution.

I don't really know how to begin.
So, there was a time, when I tried to upgrade the firmware in my iAudio7, but, it suddenly crashed at flashing, and I ended up with dead player. After a long research I found this post http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7 which, barely ressurected my i7.
Barely, because, finally the display appeared, but it was stuck at Starting window. I finally managed to flash a new firmware, after copying the firmware files to root folder and using tcctool to boot it up again (which led to flashing firmware window appearing once again). It did work, however, the fonts were missing, so I managed to download the iaudio7 font. It brought the fonts back, but I had some display errors, which I have finally fixed.
So, this is step by step, how I done that:
(three following steps will be directly copied from http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7 )

Instructions for using tcctool with Windows XP for a I7 that is BRICKED and will not turn on at all.

Step 1
Download the tcctool from here and extract it to your hard drive. Copy the I7_FW.bin file to the created tcctool folder to make things easier.

Step 2
Enter the usb boot mode by holding down the 'mode/menu' button while plugging in the USB connector[1]. The wizard window should appear (new hardware detected).

Perform the following:
  • Select "No, not at this time" to the question about connecting to Windows Update.
  • Click "Next" to continue.
  • Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
  • Click "Next" to continue
  • Select "Search for the best driver in these locations"
  • Unselect "Search removable media"
  • Browse to the tcctool folderand select the tcctool-driver-win32 folder.
  • Click the "Next" Button
  • You should get a Window that States "Please wait while the Wizard installs the software (TCC7801 usb-boot mode).
  • Click "Finish"

Step 3
Start a command propt (Click Start > Run cmd) and change to the tcctool folder
Code:
 cd PATH\TO\TCCTOOL\FOLDER
run tcctool (assuming you copied the I7_FW.bin file to the same folder tcctool is located in)
Code:
tcctool.exe -d iaudio7 I7_FW.bin
You should get something that looks like this in the command prompt window:
Code:
tcctool v0.1 - (C) 2007 Dave Chapman
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[INFO] Using device "iAudio 7"
[INFO] Searching for TCC device...
[INFO] Found TCC device, uploading application.
[INFO] Patching application uploaded successfully!
Step 4
Download this file (It is 1.17 firmware and fontfix thrown into one folder), extract it, and copy these 3 files onto your i7 root folder

Step 5
Now plug your i7 out. If it didn't start firmware flashing, try to power it on, if it didn't start firmware flashing either, plug it once again in usb boot mode. Now it should begin to flash the firmware.

Step 6
Once it's done flashing. Power your i7 on, and Voila, you've done it.

*Note* The tcctool is not mine, neither are first 3 steps of this tutorial, I`ve just thrown together part of my job, and part of someone's job, so it's easier for people.

Cheers, r4ster.
r4ster is offline View r4ster's Photo Album   Reply With Quote