iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon D2/D2+

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2008, 06:20   #1
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Default First steps after buying a D2.

First steps after buying a D2.

Please note that this thread has the only purpose of giving some initial hints to start everything in the right way to use your new Cowon D2. You'll find a lot more information browsing the forum.

1. Format the external memory
(sd card) with the Panasonic Formatting Software (this will improve the start up times of the player and reduces the chances of database corruptions). Do not use Windows to format the memory.
NOTE: Latest firmware (3.57 at the moment) has a better support for SDHC card. However it is different than 2.57 FW (International), and some people prefer this last one. Try the FW it comes with and then decide whether you want to upgrade it with the 3.57 firmware (Korean). (look point 2 for more info on upgrading the FW)
Please refer to this page for more info: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20157

2. Update the Firmware (FW) to the latest version. Since any upload of a firmware will remove every data on your player it is wise to do it before putting stuff on it.
There are different types of firmware with different features.
Please refer to this page for more info: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21572
P.S. You can also crossflash the D2 in order to "transform it" to a D2+. Take a look here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27051
and here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27300

3. Upgrade/downgrade all your mp3’s to ID3 v2.3 (programs like Mp3Tag and MediaMonkey will do the job for you).
Please note that to avoid database corruptions and problems with browsing be sure to have correct tags. This could mean:
  • Have ID3 v2.3 on all your mp3
  • No special characters as "&%$^ç@" on some flash skins with embedded browser. Flash skins that don't support these in file/folder names are: Haptic, ultimate, ultimateMOD, Madmans iCowon skin with album art browser (this could be different after an updated version of the skins).
  • No lyrics/No comments
It is reported that Flac and Ogg shouldn’t have embedded cover image. Please use cover.jpg file in the folder’s album.
Please refer to this page for more info: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24463
EDIT: It seams that from version .59 (1.59/2.59/3.59) Cowon fixed the database corruption (from the changelog: *Fixed the booting error when there are some irregular ID3 tags).

4. Load your music on the D2 in small batches .... 5 to 10 albums at a time. Disconnect the D2 from your computer, start the D2 and let it update the database, shut it off and re-connect to the computer and repeat. It takes a few extra minutes do load music but you will have less chances of a database corruption.
(NOTE: This point may not be true. Some users are reporting that as long as you have all your mp3s with a correct tag you can load how many files you want at the same time...and since x.59 firmware handles better "wrong tags", it's probable that you don't need to pay attention to this point at all if you uploaded x.59 or later firmwares).

5. Take your time with the player. Play a lot with the EQ settings and JetEffect settings, with different files, genres etc... When you find the perfect EQ settings for yourself you can have a very satisfying time listening to your music the way you enjoy it most.

6. Enjoy your D2! Note that you can personalize your player with cool themes and flash skins. You can also have games and other flash based applications (you need the correct firmware that supports flash), and more!
Please refer to this forum for more info: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62
…and check all the stickies on all the Cowon D2's board!

7. Did you screw up your D2? Is it bricked? Don't worry, there's a big chance you can fix it. Read this tutorial on "
How to Recover a Bricked D2 Using Tcctool":
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17854

Do you have something to suggest/change? Please let me know and I will see to insert it in this post.

*Thanks for helping with the thread goes to:
Bullseye, tirim4, gwilo, ...*

Last edited by vampire666; 05-22-2012 at 13:40..
vampire666 is offline View vampire666's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2008, 09:00   #2
Bullseye
Grado-ed with D2!

Yeah, about first step. You should change the "format internal memory" part. It is not required for good SDHC usage. I myself only formatted the card with the tool, and then re-installed FW. You can put that as an optional option for people who are really having problems with their unit, but not as a "must do". Now player works reading files from SDHC card ~< 1sec

Haven't had any database corruption (more than one month using the player like that almost every day)

Formatting the internal memory of the player might finish screwing the device for some people, bearing in mind that when people get their players they are a bit afraid of messing things up.

EDIT: Wow din't expect someone who doesn't own a D2 yet to post this stuff here
Then I have to add that latest version (Fw 3.57 has a better support for SDHC card), however it is different that 2.57, and some people prefer this last one. So i wouldn't recommend just as first stance to update FW. Try the FW it comes with (usually in Europe 2.57), and then decide.

About Special characters like & the show in my player with no bad result. (e.g. I have an album called "Flies & Lies" and it shows that way)

Tip: Take your time with the player (this could be added as another step, play with the EQ settings, a lot, with different files, genres etc... When you find the perfect EQ settings for yourself you can have a very satisfying time listening to your music the way you like it.
· Grado Sr-225
· Phonak Audéo PFE

Too many things...(*sigh*)

Last edited by Bullseye; 12-11-2008 at 09:08..
Bullseye is offline View Bullseye's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06   #3
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Ok. Cool. I just removed that and kept just the formatting of the external memory, since this thread has the only purpose of giving some initial hints to start everything in the right way, and not for people already having problems.

Thank you.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:33   #4
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
EDIT: Wow din't expect someone who doesn't own a D2 yet to post this stuff here

Before I buy a device I like to dig into the net and find everything about it. Luckily I found this forum with a lot of info...then I thought that a thread like this could help the starters (as I am), since I couldn't find any yet.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43   #5
gwilo

One more point should be added.

Load your music on the D2 in small batches .... 5 to 10 albums at a time. Disconect the D2 from your computer, start the D2 and let it up-date the data base, shut it off and re-connect to computer and repete.

It takes a few extra minutes do load music but you will have fewer errors in the files.
gwilo is offline View gwilo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54   #6
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Thanks gwilo.
I didn't put that in the list as I wasn't sure if this was entirely true.
Some as you are reporting that it is a problem, while other are not experiencing it even after copying large amount of files.
Oh...well...I could put it anyway...it doesn't harm anyone to copy in small batches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Dave View Post
[...]
1) Some people can copy their entire music collection in one go while others like me occasionally have problems. The exact cause of the problem has not yet been identified with a reproducible test case, but for MP3s correct tagging seems to help avoid the issue. I use OGG and my tags are correct and occasionally I hit the problem. Copying in smaller batches seems to help. Formatting the SDHC card with the Panasonic tool also seems to help reduce the likelihood of it occurring.
[...]

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05   #7
Bullseye
Grado-ed with D2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilo View Post
One more point should be added.

Load your music on the D2 in small batches .... 5 to 10 albums at a time. Disconect the D2 from your computer, start the D2 and let it up-date the data base, shut it off and re-connect to computer and repete.

It takes a few extra minutes do load music but you will have fewer errors in the files.
If you have SDHC card reader on laptop/desktop you don't need to do that. I just upload as many files I want, delete, edit, put videos, etc on my card, then i take the card out of my laptop and put it on my d2. Start it up (takes around 15-30 secs max to update DB & read SDHC card. EDIT: Time may vary, but at least in my case is not excessive)

Then when putting files to my D2 (I have 4 Gb version and I have re-installed Fw 2 or 3 times) I just copied my almost 4Gb of music (FLAC,MP3 files) and pasted on the music folder. No problem at all since then in any case.

Your method, gwilo is secure, but definately a pain in the ass you might not need. Edit 2: What really is recommended is to load it in "relative small" batches -you don't need to go song by song thoug - The thing that doesn't really mind is disconnecting, starting up player and repeating it again. The process that the D2 makes is reading the memory and updating database. If you first put 2 folders, and later; after disconnecting, etc, another 2 folders, you will be actually wasting time. The player will have to re-read the memory again, and rebuild DB a 2nd time... In my opinion it is wasting too much time. Database corruption can happen when loading one file or a hundred. The probability for both is 50-50, because the player is just executing that "refreshig DB" command.

You just have to try things by your own with your player (avoiding delicate/risky ones) For those ones you can ask here for help as it is very probable someone else has encountered those problems.
· Grado Sr-225
· Phonak Audéo PFE

Last edited by Bullseye; 12-11-2008 at 12:20..
Thanks from:
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24   #8
Bullseye
Grado-ed with D2!

Some people might differ when talking about probability of Db corruption happening when putting one or more files. It is usually faster to think that the more files loaded at once, the more probable. I believe it is not that way. If i am wrong, and someone knows it for sure, then correct me, and sorry if i am wrong
· Grado Sr-225
· Phonak Audéo PFE

Old 12-11-2008, 12:37   #9
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Some people might differ when talking about probability of Db corruption happening when putting one or more files. It is usually faster to think that the more files loaded at once, the more probable. I believe it is not that way. If i am wrong, and someone knows it for sure, then correct me, and sorry if i am wrong
I don't know why, but I think (so I'm just speculating), that this whole database corruption thing is not related to the number of files but just to bad tagging.
Naturally, the chances of having a bad file tagged are higher if you load a higher amount of files, therefore the consequence that loading less files is more secure...but maybe that is not it and I'm completly wrong (because if a singular bad file tagged is loaded, it shouldn't matter how many files we load with it...it should make the database corruption in either case).

Maybe loading more files means that the D2 is put to the test as it has to create a more complex database (because it has to index more files), and therefore the chances for a database corruption are higher.

I really don't know....

Last edited by vampire666; 12-12-2008 at 08:02..
Old 12-11-2008, 13:27   #10
tirim4
Veteran

I think this should be a sticky, and maybe add links to flash skins and themes?

"I'm the funky monkey junky, You're a flunky bunky donkey"
tirim4 is offline View tirim4's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 12-11-2008, 13:32   #11
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Thanks titim4. I'll take that as a compliment!
About the flash skins and themes, on the last point I inserted the link of the " D2 Themes, Tweaks And Anything Flash" forum. Did you has something more specific that I should put in the first post?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48   #12
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

It looks that from version .59 (1.59/2.59/3.59) Cowon fixed the database corruption (an entry of the new Fw's changelog was: *Fixed the booting error when there are some irregular ID3 tags).

First post edited.

EDIT: I also inserted a link to Dalmane98's tutorial on how to recover a bricked D2...always useful.

Last edited by vampire666; 01-24-2009 at 08:46..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05   #13
grantmasterflash

I think step 0 should be "Support the Rockbox community so we can throw off the chains of this garbage Cowon firmware."

The D2 is a device with a lot of potential. Unfortunately, Cowon really knows how to drop the ball with their poor execution of a good idea.
grantmasterflash is offline View grantmasterflash's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30   #14
vampire666
Got some blood to spare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmasterflash View Post
I think step 0 should be "Support the Rockbox community so we can throw off the chains of this garbage Cowon firmware."

The D2 is a device with a lot of potential. Unfortunately, Cowon really knows how to drop the ball with their poor execution of a good idea.
I don't know what problems you encountered with the D2 (obviously you are not happy with it), but I am very satisfied with the D2.

I do agree that the D2 could be "more"...but when I got it I already knew what it could or couldn't do (I always do a research when I have to get something...and I guess everyone should)...so I live with it happily.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33   #15
EddieE
Non-Hierarchical Anti-Establishment Member

Not sure I agree with the "small amounts loading" thing - has this ever been proved or is it just guess work?

The only time my db ever corrupted was when I was following this advice, I've since gone back to the quicker option of just dumping the lot in there and it hasn't corrupted since.