Join Date: Aug 2007
narrowed it down to cowon d2 and iriver clix
I've been reading this forum and have been impressed with the knowledge of the participants and their assistance with people considering the cowon d2.
I've been looking for a non-ipod music player for a few months and have read everything possible concerning the two products. Sometimes I think that the internet provides too much information, since I have noticed lots of conflicting information (not here but mostly in product reviews). I have been leaning towards buying the d2 because, above all, I want the best sounding player that is available, and the d2 seems to have the best specs in this regard. However, I have a few questions (sorry if these have already been answered):
1. I am a newbie when it comes to music players so I am not familiar with all the formats. Currently, I rip cds to my pc and use the wmplayer 11, at a bitrate of 192. I read somewhere that the d2 will not autosynch with the wmplayer. Is this true?
2. I have read much conflicting information as to whether the d2 is compatible with music subscription services like urge and rhapsody. (I know the iriver is because it is listed as a compatible device for both services.) Do you know if the d2 is compatible with urge and rhapsody for downloading and "to go" (unlimited) services?
3. I have read that as long as the album art is ripped to the wmplayer, it will show up in the d2. However, I have also read reviews that you simply get black squares for album art. Which is true?
4. In the world of electronics, where planned obsolescence is the norm, a product that is a year old is likely to be replaced. Would you wait for a replacement for the d2? How do you think the iaudio7 compares?
5. Lastly, people seem to be having problems with cowon firmware (e.g., incompatability, one upgrade is a downgrade for something else). Is this a big problem?
Thanks very much for you help. It's much appreciated.