iAudiophile.net Forums

iAudiophile.net Forums (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/index.php)
-   Cowon & iAudio News (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Cowon D3 Becomes Reality (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38316)

dfkt 12-23-2010 08:29

The Cowon D3 Becomes Reality

For some reason, I can't post a new thread in the news section of the forum, so here goes: http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/12/t...comes-reality/

;)

Quote:

After years of speculation, the Cowon D3 becomes real… sort of. We still have no photos of it, but we know it will be a 3.7″ 800480 AMOLED capacitive touchscreen device, running on Android 2.1. It will have Wifi and Bluetooth and should be available with up to 32GB internal memory and a MicroSDHC slot.

Of course this new D3 has nothing to do with the D2 and D2+ at all, same as the recently released Cowon X7 doesn’t bear any resemblance to the venerable X5. However, the D3 sure sounds way more exciting than the X7. Can’t wait to hear/see more. Hopefully it will be the first Android device with BBE sound enhancements.

Thanks to forum member slitz for the tip (via AMP3 UK).

Additional info on the Bluetooth SIG Member Site – thanks to forum moderator lebellium.

TheDarkSide 12-23-2010 18:53

This will get my $$$, that's for sure. The X7 was/is too "iffy", this might be as well. But, I'd still give this a shot - especially w/a nice screen res and all the Cowon SQ enhancements.

Peaceful1 12-24-2010 07:40

D3 convert setting now available in last Jetaudio relies.(8.0.11)
http://www.jetaudio.com/news/details_194.html

Dewgong 12-24-2010 09:46

If JetAudio Video Converter supports D3 it might have it's icon and specs the movie to be converted ;)

Sir Loyne 12-24-2010 16:50

It sounds like they just want another J3, only bigger. What's the point, that's what I want to know? I got a 32GB J3 when they first came out and I ended up sending it back. I got my second 16GB D2+ the other day and I'm glad I did. My first one is still going strong... it's less than a year old... I just wanted to have a back-up in case Cowon ended up going the route they ended up going.

LukesRamen 12-25-2010 20:36

iOS can work for the iPhone and iPod Touch because even without all the apps, Wifi, and phone functions, it is simply a fantastic media player. Of course sound and video quality aren't top notch, but navigation and simplicity of use make up for that.

Until Android builds itself a good stand-alone media player, Android media players are going to constantly be shoddy iPod Touch wannabes.

globiboulga 12-26-2010 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukesRamen (Post 306675)
iOS can work for the iPhone and iPod Touch because even without all the apps, Wifi, and phone functions, it is simply a fantastic media player. Of course sound and video quality aren't top notch, but navigation and simplicity of use make up for that.

Until Android builds itself a good stand-alone media player, Android media players are going to constantly be shoddy iPod Touch wannabes.

I think you will find that already exists - think PowerAmp and Rockplayer. Whether or not Cowon will come with their own Media player is also to be seen, it could the rebirth of Jet Audio!!!

blackriders 12-26-2010 12:23

So far im liking what im hearing about this.

just wonder if well always be stuck with android 2.1?

hopefully itll be like my s9 with only more video support, would love mkv and h264 support [thumbsup]

Stocklone 12-26-2010 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga (Post 306699)
I think you will find that already exists - think PowerAmp and Rockplayer. Whether or not Cowon will come with their own Media player is also to be seen, it could the rebirth of Jet Audio!!!

PowerAmp is freaking awesome. I would take that over an iPod Touch music player any day.

Top notch Cowon hardware plus a marketplace hack is going to make this an awesome player. I'm just hoping at has an accelerometer and digital compass are included to make it compatible with more apps. I'm already preparing to sell my 32GB J3 when this gets released in the US.

Noobie 12-26-2010 22:58

WOAAAAAAAH finally xD
Sadly my still High School budget will make this impossible for me, also that it will never get here unless i order it internationally which means $_$

Finally a Cowon player that sounds promising !!

doniago 12-26-2010 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobie (Post 306742)
Finally a Cowon player that sounds promising !!

I've heard that one before...

LWKING 12-27-2010 16:22

Only 2.1? I wonder if we'll have access to the android market or if they'll pull an Archos... Android in D3... It's either going to be a huge hit, or fail terribly. Since its the D3 they risk losing customers if they don't satisfy!

WAI 12-27-2010 16:59

i have my hopes. the D2 was a BIG hit and still is to this day. far as FW and Android updates... i think they'll update Android but like with the new Archos devices. Cell Phones get it first hand while Other devices second due to FW or due to the company being slow

pseudohippy 12-27-2010 17:02

All I know is the money for this is burning a hole in my pocket and Im still not positive I want it. Based on what Ive read so far I do indeed, but that flame could be extinguished quickly. Ug, I hope it isnt long before we actually get to see it with a demo.

TheDarkSide 12-27-2010 20:08

If it doesn't come w/64gb and the ability to bump it to 96gb (via the microSD card slot) I'll pass myself. I personally want a capacity bump, and 32gb isn't cutting it. Honestly, the J3 is more than sufficient then.

Wifi, apps, the internet??? Most now have this w/a phone - and those that don't will soon (since most phones are including these features standard nowadays). Even kids are getting cell phone now, so Cowon needs to really rethink what they're doing IMO.

I do like the inclusion of Android, yes, but it needs to be a a real upgrade to go w/it,...I'm not seeing it yet. It'll definitely have the SQ, but that's expected. I just want capacity in a flash player,...is that crazy?!?!?!

pseudohippy 12-28-2010 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide (Post 306788)
I just want capacity in a flash player,...is that crazy?!?!?!

Yes, it seems to be. Must be the price of flash memory. Unfortunately at this point it is crazy.

RaonCRm 12-28-2010 02:05

All the specs is on the cowon kr web now, kr.cowon.com/, and 32gb maybe is the limit capacity for now.

Noobie 12-28-2010 02:49

Yeah, specs are on the KR SITE!

Mr. Make Believe 12-28-2010 03:58

I'm a Longtime follower and don't post that often, but I just have to share my dissapointment with you people. I've been looking for a player to replace my 7 year old Iriver iHP 140 and I really find it unbelievable that there still isn't a replacement that fullfils my needs.

I was really looking forward to the release of the X7, but since I'm looking for a upgrade the X7 just doesn't live up to that. The size, the screenresolution what was Cowon thinking? I might as well stick to the Iriver. A worthy follow up to the X5, no way!

Now the D3. Although most of the specs are excellent I'm dissapointed by it's size and capacity. I gave my girlfriend a D2 for her birthday a couple years back and I love that player. The size, battery-life and audio quality makes it one of the best player out there. I was hoping for the D3 to follow that concept, but it's too fancy perhaps and too big. I was looking for an dedicated audio player. Sure I can live with the extra's of the D3 :-), but I never bought the D2 for myself because I need capacity.

The lack of capacity really is a issue for me. Nowadays price isn't an excuse anymore. We as consumers can buy 32 GB sdhc for $ 50,00. For Cowon it really shouldn't be a problem to release a 64GB player and since they're offering premium audioplayers, they're in the market for music lovers... And sure we've more than 10 albums. The least they could do is give it a SDXC slot in stead of a normal SD slot. Remember that Apple released a 32 GB flash player 3 years a go!

Being a Iriver and cowon fanatic from day one, I never understood why people would buy an iPod, I really disliked the Apple fanbase since most of the time, they don't now what they're talking about, but I'm affraid I'm going to move over to the dark side as well. I'm gonna stop hoping for Cowon to deliver what I want and settle with the 32GB iPhone 4 my boss gave me for X-mass. I have it filled with music as far as possible and conect it to a Synology NAS through DS-audio to stream from my complete collection when I need to listen to something that's not on the iPhone. There I said it. Damn it's a sad day. I guess I have to live with the sloppy bass and lack of sound-contrast of the iPod and wait another couple of years and see what happens.. Maybe in 2015, you'll never know. On the other hand, I do have AirPlay with this set-up.. A wish I had for the last three years and sadly Apple is the first to deliver...

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention: What really is the benefit of this player compared tot the J3? Most of us have their phone to browse the internet and use apps, etc.. what is Cowon aiming for?

pantera 12-28-2010 07:19

How much would you pay for a 64 or 128gb flash player? Hybrid cars have been out awhile and they're still not that affordable.

werty 12-28-2010 08:07

http://product.cowon.com/product/COW...uct_page_5.php

Loooook at it!

3DvsD3 seems like O2vsS9 earlier.

Peaceful1 12-28-2010 09:34

http://s20.aks98.com/files/46422559188041737240.jpg
http://s20.aks98.com/files/44048774062282994999.jpg

Mr. Make Believe 12-28-2010 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantera (Post 306823)
How much would you pay for a 64 or 128gb flash player? Hybrid cars have been out awhile and they're still not that affordable.

Cowon has the 3D and 5VW available with 64GB. In Korea the 64GB 5VW isn't that expensive really. If only they released a D3 with 64 GB.. Well, maybe in a year or so it will be available, like they upgraded the capacity on the D2. We'll see..

Adapada 12-28-2010 10:53

On the bright side, it does play .wmv, .avi, .ts, .mp4, .mkv, and .mpg (in addition to others) :)

aaDee 12-28-2010 11:33

pics and specifications...

here is the link guys...awesome product...
http://product.cowon.com/

TheDarkSide 12-28-2010 12:25

If they do a USA 64gb release I'll buy one. If not, then I'll pass.

Sir Loyne 12-28-2010 12:44

I see the headphone jack is on the bottom... I'll pass on this one.

doniago 12-28-2010 12:58

^Is it really? That's kind of crazy...

Noobie 12-28-2010 16:01

I guess the price will be pretty high for my student standards xD
(If it's more than 150$ it's a no go for me hahahaha)

Dunsany 12-28-2010 16:05

Here's a quick summary of the features and technical specs:

3.7" 800x480 AMOLED
Full HD 1080p Playback
HDMI TV-out AND Composite TV-out
Video format support: AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MKV, DAT, TS ,TP, TRP, 3GP
Video codec support: DivX, Xvid, H.264, WMV 9/8/7, MPEG 1
Subtitles format support: SMI, SMIL, SRT, SUB

Android OS
T-DMB
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 2.1
G-sensor
Built-in speaker
MicroSD Card Slot
FM Radio and Recorder

NTFS File System (so you can have files larger than 4 gb)

Jeteffect 3.0 & BBE+, 39 presets
Audio codec support: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, ASF, FLAC, APE, M4A

Picture format support: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP

Document format: TXT

Dictionary (DioDict2)

Physical buttons: Home, Menu, Back, Power/hold, Play/Pause, FF, REW, Vol+, Vol

Flash memory size: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB

Battery Life: ?

OK, DON'T THROW ANYTHING MORE IN, WE SURRENDER !!! [surrend]

34.50 12-28-2010 17:40

Pass. Android is nice, but it does not belong on a PMP. It's too "bloated" for a device like this. Apps? Really, Cowon? PMP's should be media centric, offer good file format support, have good battery life. Also, why Eclair, just go with Froyo or wait for Gingerbread. I also don't see Cowon releasing Android upgrades for this device. The user community on the other hand, is a different story. BTW, I have an Android phone.

It's almost 2011, and 32 GB should be the absolute minimum for a PMP of this nature. 64 GB should also be offered. IF MS and Apple can offer those options, then certainly Cowon can too. Offering 8/16 GB is a disgrace to this player. If microSD cards were cheaper and came in higher capacities, then I could maybe see the reason for the 8/16GB options.

^ The CPU in the D3 isn't P3 500 MHZ. Those are the recommended minimum specs you need for your PC.

Wineandbread1692 12-28-2010 17:54

My old D2 is still running fairly smoothly and I still listen to it over my iphone (I kinda messed up my headphone jack so I can't put headphones in it lmao)

Doesn't sound much like the D2, but I have hopes in the name.

folksoter 12-28-2010 20:04

Really looks nice. I want one jaja. can you tell me in what time it sold in USA?

werty 12-28-2010 20:42

Quote:

Battery Life: ?
21h - music, 10h - video.

7h charging via USB (with touchscreen off).

Adapada 12-28-2010 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by werty (Post 306873)
21h - music, 10h - video.

7h charging via USB (with touchscreen off).

Yeah.... I'll pass on this one, solely for the fact that battery isn't as good as my s9. IMO, the D3 should have close to the s9's capabilities for battery, and its time for me to get a new phone anyways.

Goodbye Cowon, your brand is no longer what it used to be. :(

Dewgong 12-28-2010 22:08

I think this D3 is for those ppl who were asking Cowon to make device with all wi-fi and bluetooth stuff. If you do have mobile phones with these or even netbooks or anything else, or if you don't need it, Cowon has J3 (which is the best PMP) for you.

werty 12-28-2010 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewgong (Post 306882)
I think this D3 is for those ppl who were asking Cowon to make device with all wi-fi and bluetooth stuff. If you do have mobile phones with these or even netbooks or anything else, or if you don't need it, Cowon has J3 (which is the best PMP) for you.

Quite right.

snakebite2 12-28-2010 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adapada (Post 306879)
Yeah.... I'll pass on this one, solely for the fact that battery isn't as good as my s9. IMO, the D3 should have close to the s9's capabilities for battery, and its time for me to get a new phone anyways.

Goodbye Cowon, your brand is no longer what it used to be. :(

How did they calculate the battery time? Is that the longest time without the BBE effects? Does it mean battery time is actually shorter in real use? I wouldn't mind if they made it a bit thicker with longer battery time to go with it.

faengers 12-29-2010 04:27

~400 for the 32gb version. not bad ... (source)

Mr. Make Believe 12-29-2010 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide (Post 306839)
If they do a USA 64gb release I'll buy one. If not, then I'll pass.

Same here!