PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Install Rockbox

Pages : [1] 2

andrewthecoder
06-11-2009, 12:16
This guide is now maintained here:
http://d2.andrewbeveridge.co.uk

If anybody here has any suggestions / recommendations / corrections / additions etc, they would be very very welcome, please PM or email me.

m21rt
06-11-2009, 20:34
That is a great guide and will help many new rockbox users.

killjoy
06-12-2009, 05:03
thanks for doom 1&2

i will only post threads if i am really really really really stuck
but still thanks for doom

vampire666
06-12-2009, 06:18
Yep...this is really great. Good job!
Thanks for the effort and time you put to do it! :)

EDIT: I vote for this to be stickied! ;)

Bullseye
06-12-2009, 07:06
*PANIC*
Man NAND write caches reached

killjoy
06-12-2009, 09:43
[quote=Bullseye;242597]*PANIC*

it is funny when rockbox crashes [laugh]

killjoy
06-12-2009, 10:43
hay don't forget the other thing which happened to me. all the stuff on that here http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27776
(http://iaudiophile.net/forums/member.php?u=17098)

andrewthecoder
06-12-2009, 11:26
hay don't forget the other thing which happened to me. all the stuff on that here http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27776
(http://iaudiophile.net/forums/member.php?u=17098)

Uh, read Note 1.

*PANIC*
Man NAND write caches reached

Bullseye, please give me as many details as you can so we can try and fix the bootloader code. I'm assuming you are getting that error when trying to load rockbox after following the "Install" instructions above?

What type of D2 is yours?
What capacity flash memory does it have?
Which Cowon firmware version are you using?
Have you tried re-copying the .rockbox folder to your D2?

Thanks,
Andrew

Bullseye
06-13-2009, 07:26
Uh, read Note 1.

Bullseye, please give me as many details as you can so we can try and fix the bootloader code. I'm assuming you are getting that error when trying to load rockbox after following the "Install" instructions above?

What type of D2 is yours?
What capacity flash memory does it have?
Which Cowon firmware version are you using?
Have you tried re-copying the .rockbox folder to your D2?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

My D2 is the 4Gb version without DAB. ("Vinatge" D2)
I am using the 3.11 version of Rockbox, I followed all the intstructions thoroughly.
When you say re-copying the .rockbox folder what do you mean exactly? I extracted the latest build on my D2 root directly. Maybe I can try to do it again, or how shall I do it?

Thanks for your help so far, i hope I can get to use it.

andrewthecoder
06-13-2009, 07:44
When you say re-copying the .rockbox folder what do you mean exactly? I extracted the latest build on my D2 root directly. Maybe I can try to do it again, or how shall I do it?

Yeah, I mean simply repeat Step 5 =)
In the past this seemed to solve issues with the bootloader, as the exact location of the Rockbox binary on the flash memory changes when you re-copy.

Bullseye
06-13-2009, 07:57
EDIT: Repeated step 5, lets see if it works

EDIT2: Same *PANIC* message. Tried twice did not work. Did follow step 5 again without any solution.

andrewthecoder
06-13-2009, 09:28
Hmmm.
Well there is nothing I can do to help you right now, as I do not understand the bootloader code. Rob (shotofadds) who wrote it is eager to speak to anybody who has trouble with the current bootloader though, so he can try and figure out what needs to be fixed.
So next time he comes here I will ask him to talk to you - hopefully you can help him and hopefully we may be able to get Rockbox working on your D2.

Bullseye
06-13-2009, 10:09
thnks for that andrew.

Was eager to try this rockbox but had no luck, hopefully there will e a solution for my D2.

mountainlion
06-14-2009, 20:57
I get the same error message as Bullseye after trying step 5 many times. I just loaded 3.11 successfully and wanted to add rockbox as well. I have a 16 GB legacy. Is there anything I can do to help diagnose the problem?

andrewthecoder
06-15-2009, 08:41
Thanks for the heads up, and the offer(s) to help.
Please could Bullseye and mountainlion test this Rockbox binary:
[link removed as I don't want it to be downloaded and cause confusion]

Thanks,
Andrew

mountainlion
06-15-2009, 10:52
Thanks for getting back to me. I replaced the binary in the rockbox folder but I still get the same error message.

andrewthecoder
06-15-2009, 11:51
Scrap this post - false information provided as I lacked understanding =)

shotofadds
06-15-2009, 15:33
@Bullseye, mountainlion:

I need you to try going back to a vanilla "legacy" D2 firmware (eg. 3.59 with NO Rockbox or multiboot), then install the patched Rockbox 3.59 (NO multiboot) and see if this works. Only then should you try installing a patched D2+ firmware.

@andrewthecoder:

The .rockbox folder won't make any difference to this error - it happens during initialization of the NAND driver in the bootloader. This is before it even mounts the drive, let alone tries to access the right folder...

andrewthecoder
06-15-2009, 15:40
@shotofadds:

hmmm... Care to explain (perhaps in a PM?) that to me please? As the only place I find that string is in this file;
http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/trunk/firmware/target/arm/ata-nand-telechips.c?view=markup

Which (correct me if i'm wrong) has nothing to do with the bootloader.

In fact I've just re-confirmed my thoughts by testing a rockbox binary on my D2 which was built after lowering the "MAX_WRITE_CACHES" from 8 to 1 - it gave the panic message as expected. No changes to the bootloader there.

shotofadds
06-15-2009, 15:54
Open a patched firmware in a text editor and you'll find that string too! The NAND driver _has_ to be included in the bootloader, otherwise it wouldn't be able to load and run the actual Rockbox binary (rockbox.d2). [blush]

You'll still get an error after reducing MAX_WRITE_CACHES to 1 in the main binary, as the NAND driver is included in both the bootloader and the main binary - and both need to work properly!

mountainlion
06-15-2009, 16:06
I tried all 3 builds Andrew and got the same error message. I assumed I should rename them rockbox.d2. I might try a different f/w later tonight or tomorrow shotofadds. Is there any point in trying an older d2+ f/w?

andrewthecoder
06-15-2009, 16:12
I tried all 3 builds Andrew and got the same error message. I assumed I should rename them rockbox.d2. I might try a different f/w later tonight or tomorrow shotofadds. Is there any point in trying an older d2+ f/w?

As you may see from the above post(s), I have just learned that was completely pointless, sorry. ><

See, my understanding of Rockbox is very limited, that was just a haphazard attempt before shotofadds got a chance to reply.
The rockbox binary itself has nothing to do with the error you are getting, they are caused by the bootloader (which is patched into your Cowon firmware).

So what shotofadds has asked you to do is eliminate all possible causes of the problem by reverting to Cowon firmware 2.59 or 3.59 then repeating steps 2,3 and 4.
If the problem no longer occurs with the original ("legacy"?) D2 firmware, then it means patching the rockbox bootloader into the D2+ firmware causes problems.
Either way, I know it is hassle, but as a process of elimination it would be very helpful =)

P.S - @shotofadds: to repeat the big button that says "Thanks"... thanks =)

Bullseye
06-16-2009, 17:30
I will do it in a few days. I need time to do so. If that fixes the problem (reverting back, then using D2+ FW) I would be quite happy.

Will keep you informed.

nsxviper
06-18-2009, 04:30
Now we need the Multiboot version for x.11 firmwares. Thank you for your hard work.

andrewthecoder
06-18-2009, 11:34
Now we need the Multiboot version for x.11 firmwares. Thank you for your hard work.

No problem, thanks for reminding me about the latest firmware version(s).
Uploaded =)

andrewthecoder
06-28-2009, 19:06
Just an update; All of the bootloader-patched firmwares have been updated to use the latest (revision 21549) bootloader.
For some, this may fix problems (I think?)
Either way, figured updating was a good idea. =)

Bullseye
06-29-2009, 05:56
Forgot to mention it here but with the last change shotofadds did I no longer have the *PANIC* message and my rockbox works.

Thanks again shotofadds

maedden
06-30-2009, 10:56
Hi, I also have a problem with Rockbox:

I have a D2+ with FW 3.11, installed the patched firmware, it also upgraded correctly. I then copied the .rockbox to my D2, but it doesn't load. Am I just unable to use the hold switch correctly? I have also tried reinstalling, deleting rockbox and copying it again.

Thank you in advance for your help.

maedden

andrewthecoder
06-30-2009, 11:03
Ignoring the rockbox folder for the time being, are you saying that when you perform steps 1 - 4 and switch on the D2 then slide the hold switch, it simply boots into the Cowon firmware?
If so, I may have screwed up, lemme go check =)

maedden
06-30-2009, 11:40
Yes it boots the cowon firmware. When I copied the patched firmware I downloaded, it said "upgrading firmware" as it should, but it keeps on booting the cowon one instead of rockbox.

andrewthecoder
06-30-2009, 12:06
Hmmm, well I just checked the patched firmware (hoping it was simply that I had made a mistake and not patched it correctly) but no it seems fine and I have tested it on my own player.
So all I can assume is that you aren't switching the hold switch properly/fast enough?
It gives you about a second.
Other than that, I'm kinda stumped - the folder has nothing to do with it - if you are using patched firmware and you slide the hold switch, the rockbox bootloader should appear and complain about not being able to load rockbox ;-)

maedden
06-30-2009, 12:31
I don't know, I just turn on the D2+ by sliding the switch to the left, and then sliding it back to hold again, all while the screen is black, and no logo has appeared^^

andrewthecoder
06-30-2009, 12:33
Could you try 2.11 or 3.10 or something, just in case I have messed up and somehow am mistaken?

maedden
07-01-2009, 05:28
OK it's working with the 2.11 and 3.10 firmware, but not with 3.11. Do I lose any features by not using 3.11?
Edit: the "firmware upgrade" logo appears a lot longer when upgrading from 3.10 to patched 3.10 than with the 3.11. Maybe it's useful for you.

andrewthecoder
07-01-2009, 15:15
OK it's working with the 2.11 and 3.10 firmware, but not with 3.11. Do I lose any features by not using 3.11?
Edit: the "firmware upgrade" logo appears a lot longer when upgrading from 3.10 to patched 3.10 than with the 3.11. Maybe it's useful for you.

Please check the Firmware sub-forum for details on the differences.
In short, 3.xx = Flash skins/themes/dictionary, 2.xx = MTP mode

That is strange, the only explanation is that I have made a mistake with the patched firmware images for the 3.xx firmware, but I checked it earlier...
I'l re-check when I get home, re-patch and re-upload. Then I'll post again here =) (sorry about this)

maedden
07-02-2009, 05:48
No problem, I didn't ever use flash skins etc.
Thanks a lot for your help!

andrewthecoder
07-03-2009, 22:20
Patched firmware images updated, re-patched, re-uploaded at the request of somebody having trouble =)

Headcased
07-04-2009, 04:42
thanks andy but,
no go, still fail telchips check sum but andiator old patches work but they still get max nand caches panic

drutort
07-04-2009, 05:04
i just got on back to this forum from a while back, and did the 3.11 from my 3.54 which i went first to 3.59 to see how it was and i cant get it to boot :/ so there is no fix or im using old patch??

this is old d2 2gb lol

i just tried to go with the 3.10 and do the patch, and im still not able to get into the boot loader, i dont have much of a black screen, is there some kind of hardware difference? some setting? i tried it with my 16gib sdhc in and i still cant get to the bootloader :(

andrewthecoder
07-04-2009, 05:47
thanks andy but,
no go, still fail telchips check sum but andiator old patches work but they still get max nand caches panic
I really don't understand what could be wrong - I used exactly the same process on all firmware files, the same process as last time, and (using 1.11 or 4.02) it works fine for me.
Can you try the 2.xx firmwares please?

Unless somehow the original firmware file I downloaded got altered somehow?
I'll try re-downloading.

i just got on back to this forum from a while back, and did the 3.11 from my 3.54 which i went first to 3.59 to see how it was and i cant get it to boot :/ so there is no fix or im using old patch??

As you can probably tell from the previous few posts, there is a problem with my patched firmware images which I'm struggling to get to the bottom of.
Can you try a 2.xx firmware image please?

Thanks,
Andrew

drutort
07-04-2009, 06:01
I really don't understand what could be wrong - I used exactly the same process on all firmware files, the same process as last time, and (using 1.11 or 4.02) it works fine for me.
Can you try the 2.xx firmwares please?

Unless somehow the original firmware file I downloaded got altered somehow?
I'll try re-downloading.

As you can probably tell from the previous few posts, there is a problem with my patched firmware images which I'm struggling to get to the bottom of.
Can you try a 2.xx firmware image please?

Thanks,
Andrew

ya im trying it right now, its strange but i dont know how fast is your patch supposed to take? its like not even a sec on the screen on mine, for some reason i would think 4mb file would take longer to do so?

its just zips by and then goes right to normal loading without shutting down?

shouldnt it shut down and then have to be powered up again or no?

same story (with 2.11) for me here something is messing up and i dont know were, and unless other ppl have it, it could be me but i can flash just fine between the d2+'s after converting my d2 to d2+

my fingers hurt lol from trying million times, sorry wish i could help

i wish i would have tried it on reg d2 firmware before going d2+ who knows... anyway my sis has another d2 i think 4gb ill try just to do it on the current firmware that she has i think 3.54

Headcased
07-04-2009, 06:17
its the same maybe shoto has a clue you.

I dont have time here to set up a rockbox dev vm beacuse the hot weather has been messing up the servers at work so i am really bissy at the moment.

one thing might be if you hashed the files and posted the results to see if they were currupted during upload or transfer.

cheers mate.

andrewthecoder
07-04-2009, 07:46
one thing might be if you hashed the files and posted the results to see if they were currupted during upload or transfer.

Attached are two files, one contains the MD5 hash of all original firmware files, the other contains the MD5 hash of all patched files.
(I'm sure it is obvious which is which)

If somebody could md5sum a working 3.11 firmware image and tell me the output I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Andrew

Headcased
07-04-2009, 08:01
same result mate i am use a 2gb original looks like i multiboot the old firmware with + and rockbox. cheers

i take it your d2 orginal firmware multiboots ?

drutort
07-04-2009, 14:56
same result mate i am use a 2gb original looks like i multiboot the old firmware with + and rockbox. cheers

i take it your d2 orginal firmware multiboots ?

are you asking me if my d2 original multiboots with stock d2 firmware the none d2+?

i havent tried that about to try it with my sis none d2+ firmware d2

ill update this with results

==== update =====

Good and Bad news

Good news, flashed to 3.59 and patched it up, after 3rd try i got the bootloader

this is on my sisters d2 (2g) same as mine both purchased same time, (i believe i got it for her as a gift)

btw the flashing was far far longer then the 3.11 or 2.11 (d2+) firmwares, and it also shut its self off, while mine with the d2+ firmware did not shut its self off after the patch was ran and it ran super quick like 1-3 sec, while this d2 firmware patch ran maybe 3-5+ sec, you can tell the difference between flash times, and the fact that the player does not turn its self off after the patch when doing the d2+ firmware on the D2 (2g)

Bad News
Seems that there is something different with the original d2 players? the (2g) ones that do not like the D2+ firmware patch or the firmware itself does not behave the same to allow the boot loader to work right

is it possible to force the patch maybe properly with the tcctool?

andrewthecoder
07-04-2009, 21:42
Seems that there is something different with the original d2 players? the (2g) ones that do not like the D2+ firmware patch or the firmware itself does not behave the same to allow the boot loader to work right

The problem is nothing to do with the D2 or D2+ players, it is a problem with the patched firmware files which I have uploaded for people to use.

same result mate

@ALL WHO ARE HAVING TROUBLE:

Please try this file: *link removed, please read rest of thread*

I downloaded firmware 3.11, did a fresh svn checkout, ran mktccboot, and uploaded. If that file doesn't work there is something broken about the latest bootloader.
If that does work (hopefully), that simply means a few files on my harddrive became corrupt somehow.
No big deal, I just need to re-download and re-patch them all.

-Andrew

nsxviper
07-05-2009, 00:14
I tried using that firmware that you just uploaded, the multiboot doesn't work. I did it as fast as I could.

drutort
07-05-2009, 05:22
no go with it, still the same, it flashed fast and the player did not turn off after the patch :/ i dont know if yours does it or not, but its not working, flashing bar barely shows up and disappears and it just loads normally [sad]

luiscarlosciudad
07-05-2009, 16:33
same here i had i working couple days ago my bro messed with it now i cant make i work anymore i think the batch file is no good

andrewthecoder
07-05-2009, 16:41
I tried using that firmware that you just uploaded, the multiboot doesn't work. I did it as fast as I could.

no go with it, still the same, it flashed fast and the player did not turn off after the patch :/ i dont know if yours does it or not, but its not working, flashing bar barely shows up and disappears and it just loads normally [sad]

Ok well in that case I need to chat to shotofadds, there must be something wrong with the latest bootloader.
In the mean time, I will re-patch the firmwares with the old bootloader (an older rockbox revision) so at least they work for most people.

same here i had i working couple days ago my bro messed with it now i cant make i work anymore i think the batch file is no good

What batch file?

drutort
07-05-2009, 17:31
Ok well in that case I need to chat to shotofadds, there must be something wrong with the latest bootloader.
In the mean time, I will re-patch the firmwares with the old bootloader (an older rockbox revision) so at least they work for most people.

What batch file?
this would mean more files, but if you use the old one for us who have issues and use regular one for everyone else until its fixed and works on all of them? i was thinking of trying out the 3.02 and other older pre 3.1 d2+ stuff

andrewthecoder
07-05-2009, 18:02
I have just performed the following steps;
1) Download all of the commonly-used Cowon firmware images straight from the Cowon site.
2) In a new directory, make a clean SVN checkout of rockbox revision 21480 (the revision just before Rob's latest fixes)
3) Use mktccboot to patch each of the firmware images
4) Upload the patched firmware files to my server.

So please, *anyone* who has had trouble getting the rockbox patched firmware to install (I'm not talking about the NAND kernel *panic* here)
Try the firmware image(s) here:
*link removed, please read first post*

And explain in as much detail as you can be bothered with, what happens.

Thanks,
Andrew

shotofadds
07-06-2009, 12:33
I know what the problem is - people are trying to flash the 3.11 D2+ FW to a standard D2, without following the D2+ installation guide. The upgrade will fail quickly, as the standard D2 firmware doesn't support firmwares over 4Mb in size (unless you follow the guide!).

You will just confuse matters if you try to upgrade from D2 to D2+ firmware at the same time as installing Rockbox!

If you want a D2+ firmware, upgrade to that and makes sure it works first - only then should you try installing Rockbox.

drutort
07-06-2009, 23:49
I know what the problem is - people are trying to flash the 3.11 D2+ FW to a standard D2, without following the D2+ installation guide. The upgrade will fail quickly, as the standard D2 firmware doesn't support firmwares over 4Mb in size (unless you follow the guide!).

You will just confuse matters if you try to upgrade from D2 to D2+ firmware at the same time as installing Rockbox!

If you want a D2+ firmware, upgrade to that and makes sure it works first - only then should you try installing Rockbox.

huh? my d2 to d2+ works just fine i got it on the first try i fallowed the steps exactly, i can flash any d2+ firmware now, and i have a 2nd d2 to try the d2 with rockbox, and that works, i havent flashed it yet to d2+

its just a hassle to go to d2 from d2+ i can try it all on same player but its not working right, it seems something is different in the 2gb D2's these are the original D2's the first ones out, then they came out with 4gb and so on, everyone so far has a problem with there 2gb D2's so cant say that we dont know how to flash to d2+ and thats the problem

shotofadds
07-07-2009, 13:14
You can't say "everyone so far has a problem with their 2Gb D2's", that's totally untrue. Many people have had Rockbox working just fine on 2Gb D2s.

What I was trying to say was that, if you have a standard D2, you should install Rockbox using the same type of firmware that came with your player (eg. don't jump straight to 3.11+). Only install 3.11+/Rockbox once you have 3.11+ installed...

If that still doesn't help, could you post the *exact* steps you are using (including what state your D2 is in to begin with) and we'll try to work out what's going wrong.

If the flashing process finishes too quickly, then the firmware file is either too large (ie. more than 4Mb if you have a non-D2+ firmware installed), or the file has become corrupted in some way.

drutort
07-07-2009, 16:04
You can't say "everyone so far has a problem with their 2Gb D2's", that's totally untrue. Many people have had Rockbox working just fine on 2Gb D2s.

What I was trying to say was that, if you have a standard D2, you should install Rockbox using the same type of firmware that came with your player (eg. don't jump straight to 3.11+). Only install 3.11+/Rockbox once you have 3.11+ installed...

If that still doesn't help, could you post the *exact* steps you are using (including what state your D2 is in to begin with) and we'll try to work out what's going wrong.

If the flashing process finishes too quickly, then the firmware file is either too large (ie. more than 4Mb if you have a non-D2+ firmware installed), or the file has become corrupted in some way.

i personally did not jump to 3.11 and rockbox right out, at first i got my d2 (2gb) udated to its latest firmware 3.59 i believe, and that worked of course, then i saw the d2+ i havent been on these forums in months, i read up for few days how things are working, and then decided to try the 3.11, yes i did jump to 3.10 i believe and then 3.11+ but rockbox was later, no way did i try to patch straight to 3.11 and rockbox, im not sure how u can do that since u have to patch your current version of firmware, you should have a working d2 to begin with?

but its intresting i think someone should start a thread to see if ppl will test all those with the origional d2 (2g version) and see if they have exactly same problem with latest rockbox, i wish i could say about the older d2+ firmwares and older rockbox but i was not around at that time so i cant comment on that.

i have a 2nd d2 (2gb) that i can try to update it to 3.11 its working just fine with 3.59 and rockbox atm and i know they are same they were bought same time

Tenson
07-08-2009, 01:55
I'm having trouble upgrading to 3.11 as well... I have a 16Gb original D2 running on 3.10/rockbox dualboot (The set up work perfectly fine, I can boot into both 3.10 and rockbox). Anyways, I just tried upgrading to 3.11 by dumping the D2N_P.bin file on the player... After restarting, the player boot into the firmware upgrade screen and advanced 2 bars, refreshed the screen, and booted back into 3.10 loading screen. I'm not sure if this is the same problem other people are running into but if it is... then it's not just a problem with the 2GB version. Any help would be great!! Thanks!

DeathCrypt
07-08-2009, 07:54
umm, got a big problem here. I used the .bin file in the first post to patch my old 4gb D2 with 2.59 firmware. I managed to put it on my D2, it said updating firmware and then turned off, like any other firmware upgrade. I plugged it back into my PC but my PC didn't do anything (like show all the useual stuff when I plug it in) and I can't even access it in my computer. I tried turning it on normally and it does nothing. I assumed it was bricked so I followed the tutorial on this site but it won't go into recovery mode. Does anyone know what happened?

drutort
07-08-2009, 13:52
umm, got a big problem here. I used the .bin file in the first post to patch my old 4gb D2 with 2.59 firmware. I managed to put it on my D2, it said updating firmware and then turned off, like any other firmware upgrade. I plugged it back into my PC but my PC didn't do anything (like show all the useual stuff when I plug it in) and I can't even access it in my computer. I tried turning it on normally and it does nothing. I assumed it was bricked so I followed the tutorial on this site but it won't go into recovery mode. Does anyone know what happened?

this is the wrong forum or threat to ask for help when you brick your d2, u have to go and search for the threads and i believe there is a sticky some place even, but you have to go into recovery mode if you cant get your player into that something is seriously wrong, if you can go into recovery mode and fallow the steps for the tcctool you can recover your player i believe, but again wrong place to ask this is specifically for rockbox

shotofadds
07-08-2009, 15:50
Yeah, if you think you "bricked" it you need to follow this guide: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17854

Technically "bricked" is the wrong word... I don't think it's possible to truly "brick" a D2 since it can always be recovered using the right tools.

nsxviper
07-08-2009, 22:36
I'm having trouble upgrading to 3.11 as well... I have a 16Gb original D2 running on 3.10/rockbox dualboot (The set up work perfectly fine, I can boot into both 3.10 and rockbox). Anyways, I just tried upgrading to 3.11 by dumping the D2N_P.bin file on the player... After restarting, the player boot into the firmware upgrade screen and advanced 2 bars, refreshed the screen, and booted back into 3.10 loading screen. I'm not sure if this is the same problem other people are running into but if it is... then it's not just a problem with the 2GB version. Any help would be great!! Thanks!

Upgrade your 3.10 firmware to the 3.11 firmware using the official Cowon D2+ firmware. Do not use the rockbox patched version until your D2 is 3.11.

nsxviper
07-08-2009, 22:37
I have just performed the following steps;
1) Download all of the commonly-used Cowon firmware images straight from the Cowon site.
2) In a new directory, make a clean SVN checkout of rockbox revision 21480 (the revision just before Rob's latest fixes)
3) Use mktccboot to patch each of the firmware images
4) Upload the patched firmware files to my server.

So please, *anyone* who has had trouble getting the rockbox patched firmware to install (I'm not talking about the NAND kernel *panic* here)
Try the firmware image(s) here:
http://rockbox.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/D2/Patched Firmware/ (http://rockbox.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/D2/Patched%20Firmware/)

And explain in as much detail as you can be bothered with, what happens.

Thanks,
Andrew

I still can't get 3.11 to boot into Rockbox even after the 2 new files you updated.

drutort
07-09-2009, 02:19
I still can't get 3.11 to boot into Rockbox even after the 2 new files you updated.

i had no luck either, and im not about to compile my own or do anything else, something changed either in rockbox or if the cowon firmware, its beyond me [surrend]

[unsure]

shotofadds
07-09-2009, 03:29
So which version last worked for you?

Tenson
07-10-2009, 00:31
I've managed to upgrade my 3.10 to 3.11 using the official firmware; however, still no luck with the rockboxed 3.11 firmware... The firmware update process still only advance 3 bars before booting back to the official 3.11 firmware. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the recently updated rockbox bootloader. While I doubt this will make much of a difference, I've never receive the PAINC error with the older rockbox bootloader before.

andrewthecoder
07-10-2009, 06:46
Yeah, the problem is clearly my bootloader-patched firmware files, but I simply cannot figure out what has happened.
I will update this when I (/we) do.

ar3a52
07-10-2009, 07:15
...The firmware update process still only advance 3 bars before booting back to the official 3.11 firmware...

hi
i have exactly the same problem. I have a d2 16GB DAB flashed with 4.02.
I cant install the "rockboxed" 4.02 firmware. I tried 1.11 too.. same problem.
..and if i flash the rockboxed fw with tcctool -> my d2 gets bricked :(

andrewthecoder
07-10-2009, 10:01
ALL FIXED, TESTED =)

I honestly have no idea what the problem was, but I just went through a rigorous patch-test-repeat process on all 11 of the firmware versions which I cater for, so if anybody has problems with the latest files in my mediafire account, I cannot do anything more. They all work on my D2 (and my D2 DAB).

ar3a52
07-10-2009, 11:41
i just installed the rockboxed 4.02 and it worked [excited]

thanks[thumbsup]

toussi
07-12-2009, 16:43
it works with vintage D2 and D2+ 3.11 firmware :)

I have only one little problem Cassini makes themes with a font patch (a D2N_P.bin file) but it overrides the dual boot with rockbox. Can you make a dual boot loader (firmware D2+ 3.11) with the font patch for OLED III theme? (I searched for it but only found the wrong firmware (vintage D2 3.59) http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28488)

Download OLED III theme from http://cassinidesign.su/ for the font patch.

andrewthecoder
07-14-2009, 18:11
font patch

^^ First post updated to include font-patched firmwares and DAB 4.60 beta :)

drutort
07-19-2009, 23:35
^^ First post updated to include font-patched firmwares and DAB 4.60 beta :)

everything works fine, but I got a Q were is font patched? or are you referring to the no font patch ;)

how about something that is just generic nice font replacement for the stock firmware? after using some of the themes/skins i dont know i miss the fonts heh, just not that many themes as i would like for the d2+ esp with the 3.11 :/ will just have to wait huh

DarkZilla
07-20-2009, 02:37
svn revision 21967. SD card support (read and write) added.
svn revision 21969. tagcash enabled.
))))
andrewthecoder (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/member.php?u=28258), can you make new patched firmware file for Cassini's themes ?

rapide_23
07-20-2009, 06:03
I get this "error accessing playlist control" message whenever I select a music file in my folders, but it'll play the song just fine...

shotofadds
07-20-2009, 07:41
I get this "error accessing playlist control" message whenever I select a music file in my folders, but it'll play the song just fine...
Please, just once, read the damn stickies. This error is mentioned in numerous threads on here, and on the CowonD2Info wiki page. It's harmless, so just ignore it.

If you can't make the effort to read the information provided, I won't make the effort help you. Fair's fair.

andrewthecoder
07-20-2009, 09:40
everything works fine, but I got a Q were is font patched? or are you referring to the no font patch ;)

how about something that is just generic nice font replacement for the stock firmware? after using some of the themes/skins i dont know i miss the fonts heh, just not that many themes as i would like for the d2+ esp with the 3.11 :/ will just have to wait huh

Um.... Have you actually read the first post in this thread?
See "Note 2".

Your second paragraph has nothing to do with Rockbox, or me.
I did not create the "Font Patched" firmware files, they are included as part of themes which are made by a member of these forums named Cassini.
I simply patched the four firmware files he distributes, with the Rockbox bootloader for the convenience of people who wish to use his themes and also use Rockbox.

andrewthecoder (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/member.php?u=28258), can you make new patched firmware file for Cassini's themes ?

Already have, I uploaded the latest bootloader-patched firmware files last night. :)
(Just to clarify, the files linked to in "Note 2" of my initial post here are the four firmware files I found in one of Cassini's theme)

@all: The first post here has been updated with links to the latest bootloader-patched firmware, and edits relating to SD cards.
Following this guide will now allow you to install Rockbox to your SD(HC) card and have a fully functional read/write Rockbox system.

[all thanks to a certain somebody of course ^^, I'm just a mere worker bee]

andrewthecoder
07-24-2009, 13:00
Updated to remove SD assumptions, provide it as a you-have-been-warned option instead.

(rob, if you would prefer I removed that section completely just say the word)

drutort
07-25-2009, 02:34
Updated to remove SD assumptions, provide it as a you-have-been-warned option instead.

(rob, if you would prefer I removed that section completely just say the word)

in your thread what exactly do you mean by damaged? as in not capable of functioning properly ever? or as in could corrupt data/lose data? I wouldnt if a format to the SD fixes it or such but if any further dmg besides that i would probably not risk my 16gb sd card heh

andrewthecoder
07-25-2009, 10:26
I've edited my wording to make it crystal clear;
The current SD card driver *may* be capable of PERMANENTLY DESTROYING your SD cards. Which is why it has been disabled from current builds.

DaremoS
07-25-2009, 15:25
I've edited my wording to make it crystal clear;
The current SD card driver *may* be capable of PERMANENTLY DESTROYING your SD cards. Which is why it has been disabled from current builds.

:D... it this excellent feature destroys my SDHC I simply record it again or buy a new one!
BTW... I own a 4 gb SHDC card... [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

drutort
07-25-2009, 17:37
:D... it this excellent feature destroys my SDHC I simply record it again or buy a new one!
BTW... I own a 4 gb SHDC card... [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

its not about putting songs again on a card, its the fact that your sd card will be destroyed, worthless (no formatting or anything else will save it)... ya i agree 1 or 2gb even 4gb isnt that bad but i would not try it on a 16gb maybe if you bought it new and have return policy and you can say it came defective you could get away with that :P

centerfold
07-26-2009, 22:27
oops, forgot about the SD card thread. I'll ask my question there.

burgerkong
08-01-2009, 20:18
Just got my 4GB Cowon D2, flashed it to D2+ with 3.11 firmware and Cassius' OLED III theme loaded. Got Rockbox installed, but it doesn't boot. It gets to thee Rockbox welcome screen, then it says "Loading rockbox.d2.....Read failed (image)"

What exactly am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions to a "t", installed the Cowon_3.11_D2N_P.bin (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zwnja2uzwym) from the OP.

Thanks, Brendan

ezzieyguywuf
08-08-2009, 22:30
how come there isn't a patched firmware file for 3.55?

andrewthecoder
08-09-2009, 02:55
because I don't have any way to download 3.55 to patch it.
If somebody can give me a download link, and/or send me the firmware files themselves, I will happily patch and upload any firmware version you send me :)

ezzieyguywuf
08-09-2009, 10:17
Ah I see. I was impatient and just updated to 3.59. Oh well. Question: for the SDHC-card build, do all I have to do is get shotofad's .rockbox folder and put that in my root folder? I noticed he had two other files for download, something about a bootloader and something about a mkttctool . I didn't mess with those two files. Will I be ok?

andrewthecoder
08-09-2009, 11:55
If you use the bootloader-patched firmware files in this guide, yes, that is correct, as the bootloader I patched them with was SD-enabled.

andrewthecoder
08-12-2009, 20:03
@all: Updated to revision 22286, changed instructions to use SD card by default :)

ezzieyguywuf
08-12-2009, 22:06
nice. I saw shotofads post over at the rockbox forums about the changes in 22283 and 22284. What happened between 4 and 6? and thanks for the lightning quick update atc (andrewthecoder). Much appreciated!

andrewthecoder
08-12-2009, 22:57
nothing regarding the D2 build, I just updated them to the latest revision, which is currently 22286

sdcoochie
08-14-2009, 03:57
First post here I have been doing a lot of reading. Firstly I would like to thank all of the hard workers trying to get Rockbox working flawlessly on the D2. I have installed onto my 8gb card rockbox r22289-090813 and the patched firmware from the first page onto my legacy D2 with D2+ firmware 3.11. Just a couple of items I have noticed. Firstly the folder.jpg is distorted and it never used to be when running Rockbox from internal memory. Secondly I have noticed that my .ape files will not play they stop and start. These are just a couple of things for the most part just having the ability to use the card far outweighs these couple of problems.

sdcoochie
08-14-2009, 04:27
OK I think that the jpg problem may have to do with the theme I was using. The standard themes with the package seem to work ok but any ones that I was using with larger thumbnails seem to have some trouble. I will stick with the standard ones for now.

ezzieyguywuf
08-16-2009, 22:37
To update to the newest version, do I just replace my .rockbox file? And what happened to the bootloaders that lead rockbox my default?

grep
08-17-2009, 03:40
Got rockbox running on my D2 with 16 GB SD card for a couple of days without problems so far, so thanks to all involved for your hard work making this wonderful software available for the D2 [thumbsup] (gapless at last!!!!)

Like the post above me, I'm looking for the patched bootloader that makes rockbox the default. The mediafire link in Note 4 is empty at the moment.
Thanks!

andrewthecoder
08-17-2009, 16:31
To update, you should be able to simply follow the "Install" instructions again. Ideally that should include step 5 as if you only replace the rockbox.d2 file, some of the plugins may no longer work.

Ah, yeah, I haven't got round to patching/rebuilding the rockbox-first ones. I'll try and get that done tonight.

andrewthecoder
08-18-2009, 16:33
"Note 4" updated to working link. :)
happy rockboxing ;)

ezzieyguywuf
08-19-2009, 08:56
thanks atc!

nickschot
08-20-2009, 12:52
For some reason I don't seem to be able to boot Rockbox off the SD card? I'm using the 22286 bootloader with fontpatch (of your website, mediafire wasn't working for some reason) with the latest rockbox-zip. (as your instructions said)

The error message on screen is:

Rockbox boot loader
Version 22286-090812
ATA
mount
File not found

I have a vintage D2 with D2+ 3.11 firmware and i'm using a 32mb canon sd card formatted with the panasonic sd tool (yeah it came with my camera lol). SD card can be read by the cowon firmware.

andrewthecoder
08-20-2009, 12:55
sorry to hear that nickshot, can you make sure there is a folder named ".rockbox" on the card?
Which operating system are you using? I think Windows Vista removes the "." at the beginning of the folder name, you have to rename it using the command line.

If you are sure the folder is correct, try copying it to your internal memory and try to load rockbox without the card.

nickschot
08-20-2009, 13:01
Using windows XP folder name is right and rockbox also loads from internal (as it always did). But I wanted to try out the new read/write support. Maybe it's the file from your server? Mediafire seems to freak out when I try to download it.

andrewthecoder
08-20-2009, 13:03
that is strange, can you tell me which file?
MediaFire seems to be working fine for me, and I just re-tested the 1.11 bootloader-patched firmware on my server.

nickschot
08-20-2009, 13:05
I tried to let some of my friends download the file too doesn't seem to be working for them either.

The file is the one for 3.11

EDIT: the cassini one does work lemme try it out.

EDIT2: nope still the same error message :(

Guess it's no read/write for me yet..

andrewthecoder
08-20-2009, 13:12
ok well 3.11 definitely works, both from mediafire and my own server, I have just tested it.

All I can assume is it is the specific card.
Are you certain it is an SD card, not an MMC? (MMC works in the Cowon firmware)

Can you explain/show what is wrong with the mediafire link for you please?

nickschot
08-20-2009, 13:16
Well when i try the 3.11 normal mediafire link it just times out or gives some javascript error (both IE/firefox/chrome).

I'm 90% sure it's an SD card yea or canon must have changed the internals lol. I could try another one but don't wanna risk to fry my 4gb one which I use for my camera.

But is the 22286 bootloader the right one for sd card support? It does work for rockbox on internal...

EDIT: or is there a special rockbox build version to support the saving & sd card stuff?

andrewthecoder
08-20-2009, 13:24
Hmmm, must be a mediafire problem. Can you access the site normally? If not, your country may be on the block list. (they have a stupid, unnecessary list of countries)

The difference between MMC and SD is the number of metal contacts. Count them ;)

Yes, 22286 has SD access enabled, but loads from the internal memory if no working card is present.
I suggest you try your 4GB card, do not worry about damaging it, there have been only one report of a damaged card and that was a long time ago, since then many people have been using it regularly.
I've been using both of my 32GB cards with rockbox for almost a month now :)

nickschot
08-20-2009, 13:39
aaaaaaaaaaah lol it works :D Too bad it doesn't work with my 32mb card as that would have been a great use for it (only thing I can think of :S) as I keep my music on the internal D2.

EDIT: I just spotted someone with the same problem as me on the rockbox subforum over here.... Shotofadds says it's not powering up the sd card properly.

andrewthecoder
08-21-2009, 12:02
You can get 256mb cards for very very cheap on eBay - £1.50 each (including postage) here in the uk. I suggest you grab one ;)

kag
08-26-2009, 09:32
A card worked when i formatted from FAT16 to 32, maybe you can try that if it happened to be in FAT16 aka FAT

Biaxident
08-26-2009, 13:15
can someone please upload his/her rockbox-cowond2.zip from step 5(the one for SD cards).
the rockbox server is down and I have a loooong trip home tomorrow.

andrewthecoder
08-26-2009, 14:24
[link removed, old build, use the link in the first post instead]

Current build :)

Biaxident
08-26-2009, 19:04
http://www.mediafire.com/?wtww2gyxwdn

Current build :)

You just saved my 6 hours boring buss ride!
Thank you!

I'll make a glorious gapless albums playlist!!!

momex
09-16-2009, 01:11
Hello-
I recently installed rockbox on the internal flash memory (don't have an SD card) of my 16GB D2 per the instructions provided, but when I try to start rockbox for the first time I get the following error on a white screen:

*panic* BMPM total_banks mismatch

The D2 freezes here and won't go into rockbox. I'm using firmware 2.59.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

channi3
09-20-2009, 19:59
Hi, When installing rockbox, does it erase your media library?

shotofadds
09-21-2009, 03:28
No, not if you follow the instructions correctly!

shotofadds
09-21-2009, 12:40
@andrewthecoder, if you change step 5 to say:

Download rockbox-cowond2.zip from www.rockbox.org (http://www.rockbox.org) (click "current build" in the left hand menu)

...you won't need to worry about the link becoming outdated again. Hope you like the picture I drew! [laugh]

Canserboll
09-21-2009, 15:56
It would be awesome if there was a "video" folder on the meny. Is there anyone who knows if such a folder is coming soon?

andrewthecoder
09-22-2009, 14:55
@andrewthecoder, if you change step 5
Yeah, I've made the link directly to the build page rather than the rockbox homepage - I feel even with "click current build" certain people would get confused [rolleyes]

Hope you like the picture I drew! [laugh]
Haha nice one, i'd probably just be lazy and crop/resize a photo.
Curious as to why the comment "lacks small picture" is still beside some of the lines in www/rockbox.pm?

shotofadds
09-22-2009, 15:35
Yeah, that works too.

I assume the "lacks small picture" comment is still there because whoever added them was a bit hasty with their cut-n-pasting.. I think there's more work to do there anyway as some of those builds shouldn't be listed at all imho (eg. the Creatives) since Rockbox doesn't work at all on those...

andrewthecoder
09-22-2009, 19:18
Looks like kugel already fixed it up =)

HeadStrong
09-25-2009, 11:02
Hi all, I am new to iAudiophiles forum.
Infact this is the first internet community I have joined as I found people are very co-operative and helpful in this forum.
Currently my D2 is running on firmware 2.57 but I would really love rockbox on it.
The problem is that I can't find patched firmware file corresponding to firmware 2.57. Can you guys please help me out.

bkd11
09-25-2009, 16:20
2.57 in an older firmware. So you're probably better off just upgading to 2.59. Download the OF 2.59 here (http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&bmenu=support&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&bmenu=support&desc=asc&no=354&bmenu=support). Download the patched 2.59 D2N.bin from here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a1f5b413f2aeec7a1f8e0fff488e27e022d30e5f fcc5046cb8eada0a1ae8665a). Then just replace the OF D2N.bin in 1 folder with the patched one. Then follow the upgrade process from the OF.

Good luck!

Kaziii
09-28-2009, 15:04
I followed the steps word by word, and placed the .rockbox directory on my 4GB Maxell SDHC Class6 card. When rockbox loads, it says: ".rockbox directory not found. Installation incomplete".

What am is doing wrong?
Ps: Firmware: 3.59
Bootloader and rockbox: the newests available

Thanks

shotofadds
09-28-2009, 15:59
When it's booted, what files do you see in the Files menu - stuff from the SD card or stuff from the internal memory? It's possible Rockbox doesn't like your SD card. [sad]

Kaziii
09-28-2009, 17:09
I see the files from my internal memory, but when I reinsert the card it recognizes all the files from there under a folder called <microSD1>. It looks like you're right and Rockbox doesn't like my SD card :( So I hope for further improvements ;)

Thanks again

willis195
09-29-2009, 06:35
im getting two bootscreens when starting rockbox. the first one says: Boot - Ver. 22286 and the second: Boot - Ver. 22843. i would like to delete the first one cause its an older version. but i think it has something to do with the version of the bootloader which ANDREWTHECODER patched into the firmware. could you help me?

andrewthecoder
09-29-2009, 12:32
There have been no major changes to the bootloader code since that revision, so there is no advantage to upgrading it.

shotofadds
09-29-2009, 12:55
Only the first screen should say "Boot Ver", if not something's very seriously wrong...

willis195
09-29-2009, 16:35
yeah, youre right. the second one says only ver.22843. however it takes some additional time. the clips on youtube showing rockbox on d2 dont have this second screen. is there any method to shorten the boottime?

shotofadds
09-30-2009, 13:00
There's not really any way of improving it, sorry. (At least, not at the moment...)

Peaceful1
10-16-2009, 07:53
how install rockbox on d2 +
I cant do it

andrewthecoder
10-17-2009, 17:18
peaceful1: could the guide really be much simpler?
Give more info, the guide is pretty much obvious, you need to say where you are getting stuck.

remus
10-18-2009, 05:31
I tried it yesterday, it's really easy to install and to use.

An touchscreen optimated Rockbox would be my dream :)

Partybreaker
11-03-2009, 18:54
Thanks for all the effort, finally installed this thing on my D2+... and it works perfect! :) Not a single problem. I'm still getting used to menus and all things, but it's not that problem, 'cause I had similar navigation on iRiver T20...

kpollock
11-06-2009, 10:33
D2+ 2.11,latest version of Rockbox (the D2 one) from rockbox website - get a "bad checksum" on the loader....any clues?

MartyLK
11-06-2009, 10:48
D2+ 2.11,latest version of Rockbox (the D2 one) from rockbox website - get a "bad checksum" on the loader....any clues?
Is this: D2N_P.bin what you renamed the patched firmware you downloaded?

kpollock
11-06-2009, 10:50
Is this: D2N_P.bin what you renamed the patched firmware you downloaded?

yes, that's the one.

MartyLK
11-06-2009, 11:04
Hmmm...have you tried reinstalling it?

kpollock
11-06-2009, 11:14
Hmmm...have you tried reinstalling it?

that old standby, eh? yes, I have reinstalled the firmware. no joy.

I unzipped the rockbox zip on the laptop then copied the .rockbox folder to the card. Shouldn't make any difference to copying the zip and then unzipping (as the instructions say)?

EDIT: there's some weird file corruption going on on the card - heiroglyphic file names etc. I'l reformat and start again.

MartyLK
11-06-2009, 11:29
that old standby, eh? yes, I have reinstalled the firmware. no joy.

I unzipped the rockbox zip on the laptop then copied the .rockbox folder to the card. Shouldn't make any difference to copying the zip and then unzipping (as the instructions say)?

EDIT: there's some weird file corruption going on on the card - heiroglyphic file names etc. I'l reformat and start again.
You might try a different card. There have been issues with some cards.

kpollock
11-06-2009, 11:41
You might try a different card. There have been issues with some cards.

I have several - but all the same (unknown) kind!! Oh well, I'll let you know.

EDIT: ok got rockbox working now. :-)

aussieg1
11-06-2009, 21:04
I've bought a d2 on ebay. Which is the best way to install rockbox if i change the firmware to d2+.

1. use tcctool to convert to d2+ and then use Andrews patched fw from this thread if this is possible

or

2. use the non tcctool conversion and if i read correctly i could dual boot if i add the rockbox folder.

3 keep as a d2 and upgrade from 2.57 to 2.59 and use Andrews patched fw

Thanks in advance

MartyLK
11-06-2009, 21:28
The way I figure it, whatever D2+ firmware you choose to put on your D2 would be the same named pached FW to dowload and update your D2 with for RB booting.

aussieg1
11-07-2009, 21:56
First thanks to shotofads and Andrew. Too many demands and not enough thanks for your work in my opinion.

Background. d2 purchased on ebay upgraded to d2+ 3.1 (no tcctool method) then to 3.11.

tried to install rockbox to boot 1st and cowon with hold but firmware update started then went onto normal cowon 3.11 without finishing

then tried the normal firmware cowon first rockbox with hold and it works perfectly.

I am happy bc rockbox works but for your infomation you may want to look at the rocbox first cowon using hold installer and if there is some fix I would be even more grateful

Thanks from a 60 yr old Aussie who remembers using the sinclair zx-81 computer from the early 80s and thinking that was utopia

TechyGuyDR
11-10-2009, 00:13
Hey, been trying to install Rockbox on my 2gig D2 (FW 3.59) w/ a 16gig Kingston SDHC card. I followed all the instructions but I'm getting a file not found error message on the top left had corner of the Rockbox boot screen. I also tried with FW 2.59 and got the same result.

MartyLK
11-10-2009, 00:18
If you have another card, try it. There have been issues with certain cards and I think Kingston SD cards are one of them. You can use a MicroSDHC if you have one and an adapter

TechyGuyDR
11-10-2009, 08:28
I have a micro SD card, but the adapter broke (lock tab broke making it read only:(). I tried installing it directly on the D2, but it still gave me the same message.

MartyLK
11-10-2009, 08:50
What is the exact name of the Rockbox folder on your card?

TechyGuyDR
11-10-2009, 09:46
.rockbox (after I unzip it).

MartyLK
11-10-2009, 09:51
Hmmm...which link did you get the RB from?

TechyGuyDR
11-10-2009, 14:08
The one on the first page (Step 5).

MartyLK
11-10-2009, 14:12
Good grief, I can't think of a reason why it won't work for you.

Is the .rockbox folder in the root of the card?

Also, it could be, and I've had it happen to me before in my early days with RB, that the .rockbox folder is inside of a .rockbox folder. If this is the case, simply move the inner .rockbox folder to the root of the card.

TechyGuyDR
11-10-2009, 15:47
Good grief, I can't think of a reason why it won't work for you.

Is the .rockbox folder in the root of the card?

Also, it could be, and I've had it happen to me before in my early days with RB, that the .rockbox folder is inside of a .rockbox folder. If this is the case, simply move the inner .rockbox folder to the root of the card.
Yeah it was in the root of the card. I'm going to check inside the folder, but I've taken a few looks before and I'm pretty sure I didn't see a .rockbox folder with in another one. Would it help to delete the zipped folder?

MartyLK
11-10-2009, 15:56
Yeah it was in the root of the card. I'm going to check inside the folder, but I've taken a few looks before and I'm pretty sure I didn't see a .rockbox folder with in another one. Would it help to delete the zipped folder?
Zipped folder?

You should have one Rockbox related folder on the root of your card entitled .rockbox. Inside that folder should be these folders and files:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/MartyLK/Rockboxfoldercontents.jpg

TechyGuyDR
11-10-2009, 16:10
Yeah I think I see the mistake.

Edit: Awesome! So the problem was that I was putting the rockbox zip in the memory card and I unzipped it within the card. So it was still in the rockbox-cowond2 or w/e its called folder. Now I unzipped it on my computer and put the .rockbox straight on the card and it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help Marty:D Only problem now is that I returned my 16gig Kingston card:(

MartyLK
11-10-2009, 16:29
I'm glad it is working. And you are welcome :) I'm sad you don't have that 16GB card :(

By the way, you can have the zipped folder on your desktop and then unzip it to your card.

Peaceful1
11-21-2009, 13:56
as I said before I cant install rockbox
1) I put (D2N_P. binD2N_P_FT.bin D2N_P_RS.bin ) in my d2 main folder ; fw 3.11
2) I put every thing in the rockbox folder in a micro sd card (it works with sd adapter )
3)after all it installed the fw & it scanned the sd card but no rockbox installed

MartyLK
11-21-2009, 20:59
If your original firmware is 3.11, choose this file Cowon_3.11_D2N_P.bin (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0xce5ytmgzz) Download it to your desktop then change its name to D2N_P.bin (No spaces between any of the characters). Then install the file on the root of your D2. Disconnect your D2 and turn it on. Your D2 will install the file and then you should be able to run Rockbox.

Install on the memory card the ".rockbox" folder. Download the folder from here: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-cowond2.zip to your desktop. Then unzip the file to your memory card. That's all you need to do. When you turn your D2 on to boot into Rockbox, simply push the slide switch to power and immediately put it to hold. Don't hold the power switch in the power position. You only need to move to the power position momentarily.

Peaceful1
11-22-2009, 12:35
If your original firmware is 3.11, choose this file Cowon_3.11_D2N_P.bin Download it to your desktop then change its name to D2N_P.bin (No spaces between any of the characters). Then install the file on the root of your D2. Disconnect your D2 and turn it on. Your D2 will install the file and then you should be able to run Rockbox.

Install on the memory card the ".rockbox" folder. Download the folder from here: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-cowond2.zip to your desktop. Then unzip the file to your memory card. That's all you need to do. When you turn your D2 on to boot into Rockbox, simply push the slide switch to power and immediately put it to hold. Don't hold the power switch in the power position. You only need to move to the power position momentarily.

I DONT NO WHAT TO SAY IT JUST DONT WORK

1) i PUT IT IN THE ROOT : D2N_P.bin, D2N_P_FT.bin , D2N_P_RS.bin
2)I PUT THE ROCK BOX FOLDER (UNZIPPED) IN THE SD CARD
I JUST DONT GET IT

THANKS MartyLK 4 HELPING

Peaceful1
11-22-2009, 12:36
peaceful1: could the guide really be much simpler?
Give more info, the guide is pretty much obvious, you need to say where you are getting stuck.

dear andrew
the problem is not your thread its my low IQ
U DID A WONDERFUL FAVOR FOR COWON USERS [thumbsup]
THANKS

MartyLK
11-22-2009, 13:13
I DONT NO WHAT TO SAY IT JUST DONT WORK

1) i PUT IT IN THE ROOT : D2N_P.bin, D2N_P_FT.bin , D2N_P_RS.bin
2)I PUT THE ROCK BOX FOLDER (UNZIPPED) IN THE SD CARD
I JUST DONT GET IT

THANKS MartyLK 4 HELPING
Don't worry, you'll have it working. :) What are these?: "D2N_P.bin, D2N_P_FT.bin , D2N_P_RS.bin"

MartyLK
11-22-2009, 21:06
Okay, I have prepared the patched firmware for you. All you need to do is download it and put on the root of your D2. This is the only thing you need to put on your D2, only this file. http://rapidshare.com/files/310863554/D2N_P.bin.html Then disconnect your D2 and restart it. Your D2 will install this file. Once it is finished you should be able to boot into Rockbox.

Peaceful1
11-23-2009, 08:46
[thumbsup][excited]:jamming:tnx your the best it worked

mp3
11-23-2009, 09:14
Silly question no doubt, but where can I find the file for 2.11 FW? And in the example above, with 3.11 FW, will that enable boot in rockbox as well as the "normal" FW?

TechyGuyDR
11-23-2009, 09:32
There should be a link to all the patches under step two. Just checked it and yes, there is a patch for 2.11 FW. And yes, you should be able to boot both rockbox and the Cowon firmware:)

Peaceful1
11-23-2009, 11:07
[cry]just a small problem Windows os, linux os,.... doesn't recognized my Cowon D2+
is the link below the anwser of my problem
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17854

MartyLK
11-23-2009, 11:28
[cry]just a small problem Windows os, linux os,.... doesn't recognized my Cowon D2+
is the link below the anwser of my problem
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17854
When you connect your D2 to your Windows PC, make sure the hold switch is not on. The best way is to boot your D2 into the original COWON user interface and then connect it to the PC.

Peaceful1
11-23-2009, 12:45
will rockbox is not with cowon fw its completely on the d2 no original fw thats the problem

I tried to install fw no success

MartyLK
11-23-2009, 13:50
But Rockbox doesn't work in USB mode. To get your D2 to connect to your PC, you will need to boot your D2 into the COWON UI. To do this, turn on your D2 but don't move the switch to hold mode.

Peaceful1
11-24-2009, 01:15
tnx again I Thought rockbox boots on hold my mistake (instead of original on)
[blush][thumbsup]:jamming:

MartyLK
11-24-2009, 13:32
tnx again I Thought rockbox boots on hold my mistake (instead of original on)
[blush][thumbsup]:jamming:
It's no problem. :) I am glad you can now enjoy RB on your D2.

Artmuzz
11-26-2009, 10:02
I have original Cowon D2 with v1.11 D2+ firmware installed.

I have followed the instructions of how to put RockBox on my D2 (D2+) and downloaded the correct files but when I try to load RockBox I get the following error...

ATA
mount
File Not Found

Then my D2 just switches itself off.[sad]

What am I doing wrong?

Please advise

Art

Artmuzz
11-26-2009, 10:12
Its ok I have fixed the problem.

The problem was that I copied the folder rockbox-cowond2-2 folder to my SD card instead of the .rockbox folder that is contained in that folder.

Art

mp3
11-26-2009, 16:39
Have done everything as should and it seems to work as should, except when I try to actually play a mp3 I get the following; no rockbox directory, installation incomplete, couldn't load codec.

shotofadds
11-26-2009, 17:59
Have done everything as should and it seems to work as should, except when I try to actually play a mp3 I get the following; no rockbox directory, installation incomplete, couldn't load codec.
You'll only get "no rockbox directory, installation incomplete" on bootup, not when you play music. Something doesn't add up.

mp3
11-27-2009, 02:40
You'll only get "no rockbox directory, installation incomplete" on bootup, not when you play music. Something doesn't add up.

That's what I thought, why does it allow me to change settings etc, but not play any music?

MartyLK
11-27-2009, 08:11
You don't have a complete installation. I've had that happen to me also. Unzip the Rockbox folder to the Desktop of your PC and then copy and paste the .rockbox folder to your memory card...after deleting the .rockbox folder already on your memory card first.

mp3
11-27-2009, 11:55
Just tried both deleting and pasting again, as well as formatting and pasting, still shows me the same warning text.

MartyLK
11-27-2009, 14:01
Somehow the whole contents of the .rockbox folder isn't getting on the card. Unless the build you downloaded is the wrong one. I've had that happen...on purpose, trying to see if a build of a version 1 e200 would work with a version2 e200.

mp3
11-27-2009, 16:18
Just checked again, they are the right files, Cassini 2.11 and latest RB build. I'll try loading the .rockbox folder to the internal memory.

ETA, that worked, but now I can't save any settings. Guess I'll have to keep trying with my card or try another one.

WbL
11-27-2009, 16:57
maybe the write protection switch is activated on your sd card?
try to move it in both directions and reboot

// edit: sorry, forget about this. i didnt't see that you moved the folder to internal memory. it's not possible to save to internal memory. so your sd card seems not to be compatible to rockbox. i'm using a sandisk 16gb class4 card, if you want to buy a new one and need a hint which is working well

MartyLK
11-27-2009, 18:50
maybe the write protection switch is activated on your sd card?

That's it. I remember doing that one time. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

mp3
11-28-2009, 05:07
Nope, not that either, it's not switched on. Think my best bet is to get a Sandisk Class 4 card.

killjoy
12-05-2009, 17:34
i have used the old rockbox but i didn't know there was so many other games for it and all the new features its so cool. :D

Duke Dylan
12-06-2009, 03:58
Default Rockbox boot doesn't work...
Edit: Works with firmware found here (http://rockbox.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/index.php?dir=D2/Patched%20Firmware/Rockbox%20Default/Revision%2022411/Cowon/)

Rarn
01-07-2010, 21:21
It won't even attempt to boot to Rockbox for me for some reason.

I'm using firmware 2.59
I reupdated to the linked patched firmware 3 times
I attemped booting from both the SD card and internal memory (placing the .rockbox folder in them - at separate times)
I've switched it immediately over to the lock position each time

I can't seem to figure out what I've missed

EDIT:

Whooooops
nevermind!!!! I just wasn't switching it to hold fast enough. I guess you have to be lightning quick :P sorry

Marcus_Fenix
01-12-2010, 14:39
My SD card don´t work either[sad]. It´s A-Data 8GB, but my smaller Kingston 1GB works properly. It only said that instalation is incompete and it found my directories but not files. Just empty folders without mp3.[sad]

AsusFreak
01-14-2010, 06:06
Default Rockbox boot doesn't work...
Edit: Works with firmware found here (http://rockbox.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/index.php?dir=D2/Patched%20Firmware/Rockbox%20Default/Revision%2022411/Cowon/)

Same problem: default rockbox boot does not work if I take the above linked firmware files (3.11).

Any hints?

shotofadds
01-14-2010, 13:28
Same problem: default rockbox boot does not work if I take the above linked firmware files (3.11).

Any hints?Come on guys, I need a bit more than "it doesn't work"...

AsusFreak
01-15-2010, 03:43
Come on guys, I need a bit more than "it doesn't work"...
Sorry - I guessed "Rockbox loader does not work" explains enough.

I took the linked 3.11 firmware file (http://rockbox.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/index.php?dir=D2/Patched%20Firmware/Cowon%20Default%20%28normal%29/Revision%2022286/Cowon/&file=Cowon_3.11_D2N_P.bin)on my D2+ and (maybe this is my fault) expected that rockbox started after the firmware update by default.
The bootloader works but rockbox is not the default - I still have to use the Hold key to boot into rockbox otherwise Cowon's original firmware starts.

I hope this is understandable enough?[blush]
I got my D2+ 3 weeks ago . Before I got an Iriver H10 and the bootloader of my old H10 was able to boot directly into rockbox. Only by pressing the left menu key the player starts into the Iriver firmware.

shotofadds
01-15-2010, 03:45
That's the expected behaviour at the moment (it's explained on the wiki page and elsewhere). But you're right, it should probably be changed.

andrewthecoder
01-15-2010, 09:08
expected that rockbox started after the firmware update by default.
The guide of which thread you are posting just happens to have this right after the final "installation step";
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Rockbox on your D2!
Now to try it, simply switch on your D2 and immediately slide the switch to the "Hold" position.[wink]

elohjm
01-15-2010, 10:04
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a d2+ without DAB.
I want to use a SD/SDHC card with it and rockbox.
Through the thread I noticed, that there isn't some kind of a list, that names the cards that work nicely with rockbox.
Wouldn't it be appropriate to do such a list?
If there is already a thread with rockbox specific sd/hc card suggestions, I'm sorry, didn't find it. Thanks :)
If you have any tips, I'd like either a 16 or 32GB one.

Oxolodo
01-15-2010, 16:00
The guide of which thread you are posting just happens to have this right after the final "installation step";
[wink]

I too have problem trying to make rockbox the default booting firmware. I tried the file provided under :
[ Note 4 ] If you would like Rockbox to start by default, use a bootloader-patched firmware from here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a1f5b413f2aeec7a1f8e0fff488e27e003835ed4 6f82f202c95965eaa7bc68bc)
but it gives the same results as the normal patched file, it loads the default firmware unless I use the "hold" switch.

Shotofadds are you saying this is normal? Then I think the guide should be edited to indicate that it's not possible to boot rockbox by default. I use Cowon_3.11_D2N_P.bin (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zeadncoojxq) if it helps.

andrewthecoder
01-16-2010, 10:26
I too have problem trying to make rockbox the default booting firmware. I tried the file provided under :
[ Note 4 ] If you would like Rockbox to start by default, use a bootloader-patched firmware from here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a1f5b413f2aeec7a1f8e0fff488e27e003835ed4 6f82f202c95965eaa7bc68bc)
but it gives the same results as the normal patched file, it loads the default firmware unless I use the "hold" switch.

Shotofadds are you saying this is normal? Then I think the guide should be edited to indicate that it's not possible to boot rockbox by default. I use Cowon_3.11_D2N_P.bin (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zeadncoojxq) if it helps.

Every time somebody claims there is something wrong, I doubt myself and test the files. There isn't. The "Rockbox Default" patched firmware files provided at that link work fine. Please try again, or give more details. Are you definitely renaming the file correctly after copying it to your D2, so it updates the firmware?

DaremoS
01-16-2010, 16:31
Every time somebody claims there is something wrong, I doubt myself and test the files. There isn't. The "Rockbox Default" patched firmware files provided at that link work fine. Please try again, or give more details. Are you definitely renaming the file correctly after copying it to your D2, so it updates the firmware?

It seems that the user is asking for booting directly from Rockbox... instead of using "hold" button trick

andrewthecoder
01-16-2010, 21:07
It seems that the user is asking for booting directly from Rockbox... instead of using "hold" button trick

Um... yes. That's what the "Rockbox Default" firmware files do.

DaremoS
01-18-2010, 06:02
Um... yes. That's what the "Rockbox Default" firmware files do.

Really!!!???... and to go into Cowon firmware you do the "hold" trick?
(Sorry if I'm out of topic here)

andrewthecoder
01-18-2010, 09:15
Yes, lol.
Could you perhaps suggest a better way for me to word this to make it obvious?

If you would like Rockbox to start by default, use a bootloader-patched firmware from here
You can still boot the Cowon firmware by applying the hold switch when you switch your D2 on.
(you will need the Cowon firmware to connect your device via USB)

AsusFreak
01-18-2010, 13:43
Yes, lol.
Could you perhaps suggest a better way for me to word this to make it obvious?

Now I'm totally confused.

So lay back I'll read the How-to again and will come back.

EDIT:
Ok - so I still do not understand it.
"If you would like Rockbox to start by default, use a bootloader-patched firmware from here
You can still boot the Cowon firmware by applying the hold switch when you switch your D2 on.
(you will need the Cowon firmware to connect your device via USB) "
Everyone understands it that with the linked file you'll get a firmware which boots directly into rockbox.
But it doesn't ! It starts into Cowon firmware by default! Are the links dead or am I wrong?

Andrew, will you please be so kind to check the linked files by yourself ?
Thanks in advance.

andrewthecoder
01-19-2010, 02:29
I have (just this minute) checked three firmware versions, one on each of my D2s.
Please, specify the version you think doesn't work?
We are talking about these files, right? http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a1f5b413f2aeec7a1f8e0fff488e27e003835ed4 6f82f202c95965eaa7bc68bc

AsusFreak
01-19-2010, 03:05
For me Version 3.11 does not work booting into rockbox by default.
And yes: we are talking about your linked files.
V3.11 file is here (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zeadncoojxq).

Duke Dylan
01-24-2010, 02:59
I was having some trouble with my D2+ so I switched back to the regular cowon default boot but now that I have everything worked out I came back and tried to find the default rockbox boot but nothing seems to work, including the link that I had posted previously. I too have tried all of the 3.11 firmwares and everything boots the normal way into cowon and boots with hold into rockbox. I think that someone just needs to re-up the link for the default rockbox boot .bin

Sort
01-24-2010, 09:50
Not sure where else to get help doing this, so pardon the momentary non-Cowon question. I have my little-used Sansa Clip. I dig Rockbox, but can't stand the poor battery life, and while the SQ is better with well encoded MP3s/Flac on Rockbox, going from around 40 to 18 battery hours isn't worth it to me on the D2+.

When I created the correct folder with OF of Sansa, the bootloader, and the run file, the sansa clip rockbox manual says the following:

Run mkamsboot.exe, passing the name of the OF and bootloader files that you downloaded, in addition to a name for the output file.

mkamsboot.exe m300a.bin bootloader-clip.sansa patched.bin

How do I do that line? If I run mkamsboot.exe, a window pops up and disappears, failing to create the patched bin file. Is there something I'm supposed to type or do differently?

[surrend]

andrewthecoder
01-24-2010, 11:37
Put that command into the windows command line in the folder you have the files.

also, @AsusFreak; Yeah, there seems to be something wrong with the 3.11 image I uploaded to MediaFire, it isn't being recognized as a valid firmware upgrade by the cowon firmware so isn't replacing whatever bootloader you already have. Strange. I'll get round to re-patching and re-uploading some time and post here when done.

AsusFreak
01-26-2010, 17:37
Hi Andrew,

if you are busy with 3.11 it would be great to patch the new 3.13 as well?

Thanks in advance.

andrewthecoder
01-27-2010, 19:24
added 3.13, i'm getting super confused with the 3.11 rockbox default image though, i need to clean up my files and organise, every time i've tried to patch it i've had the same results, I must be doing something wrong but I'm unsure what right now. Could have sworn it worked perfectly when I first patched and uploaded it, as I tested them all meticulously, but, ech, if I figure it out I'll post.

Also, I've changed the filenames of the rockbox-default firmware images in my mediafire account to include "_RB1st_" for clarity. Thank bkd11 (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpost.php?p=278555&postcount=20) for this idea and for reminding me about 3.13 ;)

AsusFreak
01-28-2010, 02:19
Thanks Andrew,

but just to prevent confusion.
Your new file is named Cowon_RB1st_3.11_D2N_P.bin.
I tested it and it starts into rockbox by default, but please rename it to
Cowon_RB1st_3.13_D2N_P.bin. As you said you patched 3.13 and not 3.11.

Thanks for your work.

bkd11
01-28-2010, 02:55
^^ Doesn't look like he added the "rockbox by default" version of 3.13 yet. If you want it go to my post he linked to above.

Edit: After looking again I think you might be right. He has Cowon_RB1st_3.11_D2N_P.bin twice.

AsusFreak
01-28-2010, 04:54
I tried the newer file of january, 27th and it says 3.13 while booting.
And it goes to rockbox immediately.
So again: the newer file should be renamed to Cowon_RB1st_3.13_D2N_P.bin.

taddaeus
01-28-2010, 10:51
I have a short question: Are You going to build a bootloader for 2.13 or is it possible to use the 2.13 one?

bkd11
01-28-2010, 19:10
I'm sure he will but here they are:

D2N_P_Reg_2.13.bin (http://www.mediafire.com/?ctz2gfzwzyv)

D2N_P_RB1rst_2.13.bin (http://www.mediafire.com/?nectuwmi2zy)

andrewthecoder
01-28-2010, 19:39
Wow, I feel stupid about that 3.13/3.11 typo.
Also, thanks for beating me to the post as usual bkd11 ;)
Copied/Renamed to my mediafire folders.

I'm actually working on a PHP script to do things automatically from my webserver, it is currently capable of downloading the latest bootloader, patching all the firmware versions (including cassini's patched ones), and taking an upload of a new cowon firmware version from anyone who has the correct password.

EDIT: Finished with the part which is relevant to this thread, I've updated the first post so it is the new non-mediafire mirror.

Currently coding; updating to latest rockbox revision or downloading any specified revision, patching said rockbox folder with any user-uploaded patch, building/zipping said rockbox folder and allowing the zipped, patched build to be downloaded.
This may be tricky, I'll need to write or find a working PHP SVN frontend... Anyways, if I manage it it will be in my custom configs thread since that'll be where it is relevant.

It should be awesome when done, and eliminate the need for my slow/unreliable/lazy being to do things for peeps :)

taddaeus
01-29-2010, 10:30
@bkd11 Wow, that was really fast. Thank You very much!

a1bycool
01-30-2010, 18:57
Hello..I don't know if it is just me..but the link in step 2 appears broken..anyone else get this?

Thanks

andrewthecoder
01-30-2010, 19:20
link in step 2 appears broken..anyone else get this?
Oops [blush] fixed.

(I forgot to click 'Re-Patch' in my own admin panel)

crodz
02-10-2010, 05:49
the website seems to be down.

at least i can not see step 2
"Click here (http://rb.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/?a=patched-firmware), find your firmware version and click the http://rb.andrewbeveridge.co.uk/inc/images/excited.gif image."

cant connect can i skip it?
first time trying to get rockbox in my d2 so i rather be safe then sorry :(

andrewthecoder
02-10-2010, 14:45
If link doesn't work, please be patient and try again later, I can't afford to upgrade my hosting right now.

:(
it was down for a few hours, sorry.
you can't skip any steps, but it should be up again now :)

crodz
02-12-2010, 05:59
:(
it was down for a few hours, sorry.
you can't skip any steps, but it should be up again now :)
you should pay your bills [excited]

andrewthecoder
02-12-2010, 20:09
you should pay your bills [excited]

"If link doesn't work, please be patient and try again later, I can't afford to upgrade my hosting right now."

the-nj
03-19-2010, 03:41
hey
it seems that the download server does not work?
so i can see the page with the guide but i cant click on the link where i have to select my firmware and download something there...xD
so i can click on it but i wouldnt load

nick

Peaceful1
03-19-2010, 04:07
whats your firmware version?
if it's 2.13 or 3.13 see below link
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpost.php?p=278740&postcount=211
if not use this :
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a1f5b413f2aeec7a1f8e0fff488e27e0d94ec142 43a2cecec95965eaa7bc68bc

bkd11
03-19-2010, 13:26
Here's the one's I have. If you need a specific one that's not in mine or peaceful's links, let me know.
Patched Firmware (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=41295e68fd6d5b52ab1eab3e9fa335ca6f8d3bfe 4071efde)

Peaceful1
03-19-2010, 14:21
Here's the one's I have. If you need a specific one that's not in mine or peaceful's links, let me know.
Patched Firmware (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=41295e68fd6d5b52ab1eab3e9fa335ca6f8d3bfe 4071efde)
looks like andrew is busy lately happy to see you helping users [thumbsup]
and covering his lack .
by the way I'm in line1000 of 13/000 of the translation hope i'll make a pre-release in the next 2 week and i'll uploaded it in the Flyspary part thanks very much.

andrewthecoder
03-23-2010, 21:09
sorry about any down time with this, it is now hosted on a proper webserver since I've got enough disk space now.
first post updated, let me know if anything isn't quite right but it should be up 24/7 now :)

djini
04-14-2010, 09:10
Aloha:
First I would like to thank you for putting this all together, as I am sure the problem I am having is based on my error not yours.

I have the D2N_P.bin that I got from your website for 3.13 in my root on the d2. It showed the firmware upgrade thing, then turned off. i have on my card the newest .rockbox folder , which I got from your zip.
It all seems like it would be right.

The problem is as soon as rockbox starts booting, it gives this error message:
rockbox boot loader
version ###########
ATA
Mount

Ignore this!!!
I realized that my card is an MMC, not an SD! Doh!
Sorry about that! This should solve the problem!
File Not Found

This seems to suggest it's a problem with the bootloader, which is patched with the cowon firmware in the file I got from your site, right? I have it in the root folder, renamed the correct thing (I think/hope).

So, what am I doing wrong?

Justified
06-06-2010, 11:27
It won't even attempt to boot to Rockbox for me for some reason.

I'm using firmware 2.59
I reupdated to the linked patched firmware 3 times
I attemped booting from both the SD card and internal memory (placing the .rockbox folder in them - at separate times)
I've switched it immediately over to the lock position each time

I can't seem to figure out what I've missed

EDIT:

Whooooops
nevermind!!!! I just wasn't switching it to hold fast enough. I guess you have to be lightning quick :P sorry

Please pay attention to "EDIT" part :) I had thought I was missing something until I noticed this post. You really need to be fast. That's the main issue :D

Thanks everyone who contributed to the Rockbox page in this forum.

Also my battery seems to drain a bit faster. Is that normal?

Peaceful1
06-06-2010, 16:21
yes,it is.
Rockbox uses battery faster than the Original firmware

andrewthecoder
06-06-2010, 18:21
I usually get about 45 hours battery life using the Cowon firmware, about 15 hours with Rockbox.

Den90
07-16-2010, 22:42
Good morning everyone, sorry for stupid question, but can you help me to find precompiled last rockbox build for D2, i didn't find it on Rockbox site and on their ftp.
Or maybe there is a way, how i can recompile already compiled build? I have already downloaded and install the Cygwin, but i can't find precompiled Rockbox build.
And i will be very grateful for any help (instruction) in compiling rockbox with additional patches, for compiling i planned to use Cygwin.

guilc
07-17-2010, 03:31
Last build is available here : http://build.rockbox.org/

Help to build toolchain and firmware is available on the rockbox wiki too ;)

Den90
07-17-2010, 05:10
There is no precompiled build in link that you give, i need precompiled frimware to add some patches in it. And the instruction is not so detailed as it should be, but the main problem is in finding precompiled build for D2.

andrewthecoder
07-17-2010, 08:28
I don't think you understand the terms you are using ;)
Rockbox is software with a lot of source code, with changes being made many times a day.

"Building", or "compiling" that code turns it into the binary file(s) which run on whichever device you choose.

A "patch" is a change to the *code* which somebody has written to add some feature, or modify how something happens. Usually if a patch is well-written, useful and there are no objections to it, it will be applied to the main rockbox source code (controlled by Subversion, aka SVN).
However sometimes a patch is still useful and well-written, but there is something stopping it from being added to SVN, perhaps it breaks something, perhaps it cannot come under the same copyright license as Rockbox, or perhaps a few developers simply dislike the feature and a debate starts.

Either way, if you wish to apply a patch to Rockbox, then build/compile it and load it on your Cowon D2, on a system running Microsoft Windows, this guide was made precisely for you:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SimpleGuideToCompiling

It basically boils down to this:
1) Get a working build environment. If you have never used linux before this might be a bit daunting but using Cygwin should be simple enough if you follow the steps.
2) Get the source code. This should be as simple as running "svn co svn://svn.rockbox.org/rockbox/trunk rockbox" from within Cygwin once setup correctly.
3) Patch the source code using whatever patch you have downloaded. In short, from the rockbox source code folder run "patch -p0 < patchfilename" where patchfilename is the path to the patch you downloaded.
4) Compile your patched version of rockbox. Type "make". Wait for it to compile. Type "make zip". Wait for it to add the build files to a convenient zip archive for you.
5) Extract "rockbox.zip" to your SD card.

... or you could point me to the patch and I'll do the above for you :)

Den90
07-17-2010, 12:03
I don't think you understand the terms you are using ;)

I understand all term that i use, and i have some experience in using linux systems, but not many.

... or you could point me to the patch and I'll do the above for you :)
It's important to know how do it by myself.

Ok, now i have a problem with "arm-elf-eabi-gcc" the cygwin can't complete compilin because of this error. I've already add the cross-compiler directory, try to change path, and reinstall packages from "http://download.rockbox.org/cygwin" with no result, moreover cygwin can find bash id after changing path in \etc\profile

andrewthecoder
08-14-2010, 08:41
Updated the guide (and patched firmwares) to apply to bootloader revision 27090.

This means there is no longer a version with the Cowon firmware as the default firmware hosted by me.

If you still prefer to use the Cowon firmware by default, sliding the power switch to hold mode to boot into Rockbox, please send me a PM. If I get a few PMs asking for me to still build/support that as a "Cowon first" bootloader build, I will do.

Svenko
08-21-2010, 07:18
Hi there
I have a major problem starting Rockbox. First off, I've been using rockbox for nearly a year on my d2 and this is the best audioquality I've ever heard on a mp3 player before. Thank you for your hard work with the bootloader. I appreciate that!

Now. Days ago, I updated my rockbox to the latest version. After I turned my d2 on, first came the bootloader screen, and after that I anticipated the rockbox screen with the build number. But after the bootloader screen vanished, the whole screen turned black and nothing happened. I always have to do a soft reset to start my d2. Today, I resetted the cowon d2 with the d2+ firmware, did a fresh installation of the bootloader and the newest rockbox firmware, but still the same problem. Does anybody have a clue about this problem?
I have a cowon d2, patched to a d2+, with your newest rockbox bootloader version 27090 and rockbox build 27850

Thank you in advance

Edit: I somehow solved the problem by holding the power button longer to the left. Weird...

exibo
08-21-2010, 07:33
same prob here. its a rockbox issue

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11558

anhjan
08-22-2010, 06:47
same with me.
did a new installation of the bootloader (3.59 Cassini) and the newest rockbox firmware and now have a lot of troubles starting rockbox. Sometimes I need several tries until it starts.
Holding the power button longer to the left doesn´t solve the problem completely.
Somitimes I am succesful starting rockbox, sometimes I have to try 2 or 3 times, sometimes I have to try even more time [confused]
After I failed to start rockbox, I even fail to start the cowon firmware in the first try.
It seems to me, that even if starting rockbox failed, the d2 is still on, so I hold the power botten to the left for some seconds to "switch it off" - then I try it again - maybe I´m lucky, maybe I´m not succesful ... [no]

Headcased
08-22-2010, 14:27
dose not seem to bootloader related seems to be a issue with rockbox at the moment hopeful it will be fixed soon.

what would be nice is a older build of rockbox say a few months ago.

Comatoz
09-12-2010, 07:34
Hi guys !
I've sent a PM to Adrewthecoder, to ask him about the bootloader, but he didn't answer :(.
Indeed, I wanted a week ago to reinstall rockbox on my D2+, after having installed the 3.11 firmware with D2OS. But when i wanted to boot on the cowon firmware (without the hold button on), it booted on rockbox. And that's not a feature that I want for the moment. To my mind rockbox isn't finished enough to be my default firmware.

So, i wanted to know if there was a way to get back bootloaders that boot on the cowon firmware without the hold button ? Or is it something that users can do easily ? (i'm not a coder ^^).

PS: please don't mind my english, i'm french :)

Peaceful1
09-12-2010, 09:05
PUT this in your root internal memory it well change the default to original firmware:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gwz14ziywy3

mike-heal
09-12-2010, 14:51
Andrew's website is still down.. this one -old-link- gives DNS lookup failed.
Where is this guide mirrored, if anywhere? Thanks.

michael1946
09-12-2010, 17:25
What are you looking for? Perhaps I can help!

mike-heal
09-12-2010, 22:23
I want to read the guide.. I'm about to install a dual-boot RB+3.59 fw (gotten from link in the guide before it went offline), and need to doublecheck all the details.

The primary question is if that firmware is a "0" sort of firmware, that will erase all my files, or its a "1" and my settings will stay.

Peaceful1
09-12-2010, 23:21
Andrew's website is still down.. this one -old-link- gives DNS lookup failed.
Where is this guide mirrored, if anywhere? Thanks.

I want to read the guide.. I'm about to install a dual-boot RB+3.59 fw (gotten from link in the guide before it went offline), and need to doublecheck all the details.

The primary question is if that firmware is a "0" sort of firmware, that will erase all my files, or its a "1" and my settings will stay.

1)put this file in the root of internal memory: here (http://www.mediafire.com/?zvdmmeijw4t).
2)put this .rockbox file in your memory card.
thats it.
you well lose your original firmware database and sound settings ( as I remember) but all your files well be safe they well stay without any change.

mike-heal
09-15-2010, 16:53
Peaceful1 - what bootloader version is that firmware? (I remember this is the cowon-first fw, contrary to the fw andrew had for download)

Andrew's site is still down, I'm going to PM him.

Peaceful1
09-16-2010, 02:17
this is for the "OF boots first" .

michael1946
09-17-2010, 05:22
Excerpt from http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-cowond2/rockbox-buildch2.html:
"...Installing the bootloader
1. Get a copy of the original Cowon D2 firmware from http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&bmenu=support (http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&bmenu=support). It has to be of the same version that is currently installed on your player.
2. Build the mktccboot tool or download a binary for your operating system.
3. Build the bootloader (bootloader-cowond2.bin). Pre-built binary is available at http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/cowon/d2/bootloader-cowond2.bin (http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/cowon/d2/bootloader-cowond2.bin).
4. Patch the bootloader into the Cowon firmware using mktccboot:
mktccboot D2N.bin bootloader-cowond2.bin D2N-patched.bin
Note: The filename depends on the firmware version and hardware revision as shown in the table below (for the D2 use the file found in folder “1”, not “0”)
FW/HW D2 D2+
1.xx, 3.xx D2.bin D2_P.bin
2.xx, 4.xx D2N.bin D2N_P.bin
5. Copy the output file (“D2N-patched.bin” in our example) to the root of the player’s internal memory and rename it according to the above table..."

I downloaded mktccboot.exe from here (http://www.mediafire.com/?lzw0gdzxtem) (see shotofadds contribution at http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32193&highlight=mktccboot) and managed to build my own dual boot bootloader using the http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/cowon/d2/bootloader-cowond2.bin (http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/cowon/d2/bootloader-cowond2.bin) (loading OF first).[thumbsup]

Excerpt from mktccboot.c:
"... The first instruction in a TCC firmware file is always of the form: ldr pc, [pc, #xxx] where [pc, #xxx] is the entry point of the firmware - e.g. 0x20000020.
mktccboot appends the Rockbox bootloader to the end of the original firmware image and replaces the contents of [pc, #xxx] with the entry point of our bootloader - i.e. the length of the original firmware plus 0x20000000.
It then stores the original entry point from [pc, #xxx] in a fixed offset in the Rockbox bootloader, which is used by the bootloader to dual-boot.
Finally, mktccboot corrects the length and CRCs in the main firmware header, creating a new legal firmware file which can be installed on the device..."

So the bootloader does not touch the contents of the original FW functionally and all its settings remain unchanged.
The standard mktccboot.exe/bootloader-cowond2.bin built from the Rockbox sources will create a bootloader which boots Rockbox first (Excerpt from mktccboot-README: "By default the player will boot into the new firmware.").

andrewthecoder
09-17-2010, 05:57
Sorry I've not been around lately, had a load of real life issues crash down around me (literally, heh).

I'm now hosting the guide somewhere which ought to be reliable for the next 5 years or so :)
Thus, http://rb.andrewbeveridge.co.uk works once again.

I've received a good few PMs about a Cowon-first bootloader so I'll try and add that again soon.

mike-heal
09-17-2010, 17:09
Ah, thank you Andrew.
Request: could you please list the bootloader revision you are currently using on your patched-firmware page? Thanks.

firu_gamer
10-09-2010, 01:17
Fix link please...