View Full Version : Any Database Corruption Problems Like the D2 When Adding Files?
Has anyone had any Database Corruption Problems like the D2 occasional has when adding/deleting files on the S9?
Does the S9 even have a database that is checked each time you turn it on; is it similar to the D2's?
How are the transfer speeds?
I am really getting tired of waiting for a 32GB version of the S9 and if there is no problem changing albums/songs, then I just might get a 16GB S9...
When I got my S9 I immediatly threw about 8Gb on it without any database corruption problems at all. I once deleted a song --> no probs
The S9 checks database everytime you dragged new musi/videos/pic etc onto it when it starts. But that doesnt take much time. After dragging new files onto the S9 the startups takes about 3-4 seconds, really not that much.
Transfer speed is average. But I don't have the right software to test this, so I can only say that its ok
On Windows 7, the transfer speeds I've been getting are between 5-7 MB/sec
I've been getting anywhere between 3 and 8mb/s depending on what else is going on. Averaging around 5/6. And haven't had any corruption problems when moving 12GB+ data onto it over several weeks.
I'm encountering one of the issues that troubled some users of the D2. In part it's due to my laziness in keeping a tidy library, but then again the S9 makes it very difficult to rebuild your library fully.
To give an example, I have about 10 songs by Chicane. When I originally loaded them on to the S9, 9 of them had the artist tagged as 'Chicane' and 1 was labelled as 'Chicane/Bryan Adams' so naturally they appeared as 2 separate artists in the browser.
So I used MP3Tag to directly change the tags on the S9 of the 10th track to have the same artist as the other 9, so that all were now 'Chicane'. Well it worked, but only partly, as upon rebooting the S9 I now had 2 artists listed as 'Chicane' in my browser. So the S9 only partially rebuilt the database.
So then I cut and pasted the songs onto my computer, rebooted the S9 so that it removed Chicane from the artist list (which it did) as the songs were no longer on it, and then reconnected the S9 to the computer and copied them back over (of course this time all having the same artist tag), but upon rebooting I STILL had two Chicane artists listed. It is at this point that you would really expect it to rebuild the database when new files/folders appear. But it seems the database recognised the songs as ones it had on before and didn't bother rebuilding.
This is a small example, as in reality I edited loads of tags on the mp3s on my S9 directly using MP3Tag to tidy up my genres category as well as making sure artists all had same spellings. So my S9 ended up with duplicated genres as well as artists all over the place. Nightmare!
Then I discovered the only way to completely force the S9 to rebuild the database correctly is to first make sure you have a local copy of your songs on your computer. Then I deleted my Chicane songs from the player (via MSC or the browser, doesn't matter). Then using MP3Tag on my local copies I edited a random tag of the 10 songs, SAVED the changes, then immediately did 'undo' on the changes and then SAVED again. Then I copied them back over to the player, and Lo! I finally had 1 entry for Chicane in my Browser. In reality I had to do this for all my songs because of the many duplications I had everywhere, fortunately MP3Tag makes it easy to remove the tags of multiple mp3s, save, undo, then save again (this method is also very handy at ensuring v2.3 tagging is used, as when you undo a tag removal, it rewrites it as v2.3 by default).
So it seems the database, like the D2, is very fussy and I'm sure Cowon could do something about it!
I just went to Tools-options-tags-write-ID3v2 and then imported and selected all my music, went to file-save tag and everything went great.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.